Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #691
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Right, hadn't thought about other forms of booze, last time I bought something other than beer at a bar, well lets say I didn't remember much of the later part of the night.

Is it because of booze laws there?

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #692
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
Is it because of booze laws there?
As I understand it, a license to serve beer is separate, cheaper and easier to get than a license to serve hard liquor.

Tennessee has a few beer bars. I have a friend who ran one for a while. Her opinion was basically, everybody around here drinks Bud Lite. Didn't make financial sense to go through the hassle of a liquor license.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #693
xcgates
Whaaa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
As I understand it, a license to serve beer is separate, cheaper and easier to get than a license to serve hard liquor.

Tennessee has a few beer bars. I have a friend who ran one for a while. Her opinion was basically, everybody around here drinks Bud Lite. Didn't make financial sense to go through the hassle of a liquor license.

Jamie
Interesting. And as to the comment on Bud Lite, that is dead on, I am always surprised by the lack of regular Bud. Heck, a bar (in my old college town, of all places!) ran out of Bud!

One thing that aways gets me is how different booze laws (usually with regards to the sale of) are between different states.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #694
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
...snipped...
Prior to the mandatory helmet law, more people rode bare headed. When the inevitable whatever percentage crashed, often at low speed, they would often suffer a fatal head injury. Nice, healthy, young specimen with only minor damage to the body, excellent donor material.

After mandatory helmet use was enacted, lots of casual riders quit and this reduced the total number of crashes. ....snipped...
Think about it.
IMO, the folks who went helmetless legally are the same folks who wear the barely-there grape covers when helmets are required. I'll submit that the aforementioned grape cover = not wearing a helmet.

Most folks who normally wear a FF helmet (the most protective), wear it no matter the helmet law.

So, helmet laws have little effect on which riders are more protected.

Either you choose maximum protection (FF helmet), or you don't.

I'm a poor example for what most riders will accept as protection.

YMMV.

Things I've ate/cooked.
dolomoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #695
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:

Jamie
Bud lite??? That shouldn't require a beer license, as it isn't much more than carbonated water strained through an old burlap feed bag.

regular bud barely qualifies as beer IMHO I love beer, but I will not even drink the ones my brother in law left her a month ago, they just sit in the pantry collecting dust.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #696
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Serious question ?? Why would what someone wears affect my insurance rates ? - I am pretty sure that it makes no difference here anyway ?
If you're in hospital with road rash and fractures, you cost more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I'm one of those clown suits.
Comprehension failure: when I said "clowns" I was referring to the flip-flop-and-T-shirt organdonor crowd. I can't recall the studies, but basically, if you've got gear, you're liable to walk away from what would otherwise hospitalize you; be released from hospital in a short time from something that would otherwise leave you in IC for ages, etc.

If you're talking ATGATT, I'm there, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houngan View Post
I'm guessing because they cost a lot more when they wreck, bike + hospital. You'll fall into their actuarial table at some point and thus have to pay more to offset the industry's payout for their injuries.
At least someone can read.

Moving Pictures screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 08:46 PM
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #697
xcgates
Whaaa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Bud lite??? That shouldn't require a beer license, as it isn't much more than carbonated water strained through an old burlap feed bag.

regular bud barely qualifies as beer IMHO I love beer, but I will not even drink the ones my brother in law left her a month ago, they just sit in the pantry collecting dust.
You must be one of them beer snobs, becha turn down Old Milwaukee too. Jeesh. People these day.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #698
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
I'm glad somebody gets it.
My interweb sarcasm button is broken
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #699
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
You must be one of them beer snobs, becha turn down Old Milwaukee too. Jeesh. People these day.

QUALITY not Quantity, baby!

Drank my share of OM, in my day, but haven't touched one in 10 years, since I found beer salvation! A local store that has over 2000 different brews!
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #700
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
Quote:

Arggggrgggrgrgrgrgrgrg.......

Unibroue. Bliss.

Sorry, carry on with the insurance stuff...
Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #701
Cranky Yankee
exulcero

Oddometer: 600

Cranky Yankee screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 09:31 PM
Cranky Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #702
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:

Jamie
I wonder how the beer bars make it. There is money is booze.

Its a southern thing. Closet drinkers. Up here you can buy booze at the gas station or grocery store. No beer bars. No dry counties. Prohibition has been over for over 75 years.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #703
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
QUALITY not Quantity, baby!

Drank my share of OM, in my day, but haven't touched one in 10 years, since I found beer salvation! A local store that has over 2000 different brews!
The Quebecer in me likes this picture. Unibroue, yes baby!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:38 AM   #704
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:

I don't drink it either, but you and I in the minority. Bud Lite is the top-selling beer in the US (as of a few years back) and together with Bud make up one out of every four beers sold in the US. (Source: http://answers.google.com/answers/th.../id/33566.html)

You might also notice from that chart that light beer makes up four of the top five selling beers. Bud Lite dwarfs the pack in sales. (Source: http://answers.google.com/answers/th.../id/33571.html)

Say what you want, it's what people drink the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
I wonder how the beer bars make it. There is money is booze.

Its a southern thing. Closet drinkers. Up here you can buy booze at the gas station or grocery store. No beer bars. No dry counties. Prohibition has been over for over 75 years.
There's no money in booze if nobody drinks it. As above, Bud Lite and Budweiser make up more than a quarter of all beer sales in the US. I'm guessing that in most small country bars, that number is above 50%. You don't go into a country bar and order a cocktail. From my friend who ran the beer bar not too far away, she said the expense and hassle of getting a liquor license was simply not worth it, as she could barely keep enough beer stocked for the weekends. Her liquor bottles would most likely have gotten dusty.

What's a southern thing? I live in Mississippi, though I'm not a southerner, and I sometimes laugh at some of the relaxed liquor laws around here. You can buy single bottles of beer in the convenience store, or mix-and-match a six-pack. Louisiana has liquor sales in gas stations and grocery stores, as well as drive-up daiquiri bars. Yeah, there are a handful of dry towns or counties, but the county just south of me sells beer 24 hours a day.

Then there is this, from Wikipedia:

And this quote (again from Wikipedia):

Quote:
As of November, 2007, only one state (Mississippi) allows drivers to consume alcohol while driving (as long as the driver stays below the 0.08% blood alcohol content limit for drunk driving and many counties within Mississippi have their own laws preventing open containers), and only eight states (Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia) allow passengers to consume alcohol while the vehicle is in motion.
What is that about a southern thing?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #705
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253