Originally Posted by Beto View Post
here's one for you BB...

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #7337
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
[QUOTE=100mpg;17902275]Nope, But I drive a truck all day. So I know something about retreads. You could not pay me to put them on my motorcycle OR my car.

I call B.S.! If you drive trucks for a living, you certainly spend a considerable amount of time on retreads.

EDIT; Sorry my bad, just realized that you were only referring to the bike or car. Although I suspect that a good retread is probably better than some of the off brand Chinese tires floating around.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #7338
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
wow, that is a perfect ass...

lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #7339
workerant
Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post

I took a trip there last march. On a road nearby which I had ridden many times I saw something I never saw on previous rides.

mmm hmm

Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #7340
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerant View Post
mmm hmm

Great bike for the lesser known roads in the area

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #7341
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I'd stay at the front of the pack. Last thing I want to run over is a Goldwing that just had a blowout.
+1 Crashes are always better if they're behind you.

M
Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #7342
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
I wonder if you could even up the tire wear by hanging off the bike and riding lopsided on straightaways. Seems a shame that the tire wears so badly in the middle and has such unworn edges...
I tried that. It's difficult and tiring to do it long enough to get significant wear off the tire edges. I hate to see 6000-8000 miles of good rubber on each side of the tire unused when the wear-bars come up in the middle. Anywho, I couldn't make that idea work for me. IF I had e-z access to a nice, tight track (cone course, old battletrax venue, etc) where it is possible to wear out the edges before the center, I would by a spare set of wheels with such tires mounted up and have fun all the dang time. Or I would have a purpose built track bike to take advantage of those size tires.

OTOH, just where can one live that allows steeper lean angles all the time commensurate with getting rubber off the tire edges in proportion to the middle? And if one could find such a place, why would one guess that the road surface would supply good traction all the time and be mostly free of traffic?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #7343
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
OTOH, just where can one live that allows steeper lean angles all the time commensurate with getting rubber off the tire edges in proportion to the middle? And if one could find such a place, why would one guess that the road surface would supply good traction all the time and be mostly free of traffic?
The area around Deal's Gap (150 mile radius) used to be like that. I once was on a trip to the area on my SV650 and needed a new tire. A local Dealer had a Dunlop 207 Sportmax for $99 so I put it on. Three days and 750 miles later and the edges were gone. You might still be able to do that today but not at deals Gap or on a weekend. Still, if you live anywhere in the Smokies it's not too hard to wear out the edges before the middle. The traction on most of the roads there are that good.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #7344
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 974
car tire

Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #7345
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
BTW: The rear tire issue... seem inexcusable, regardless of road surface. Yes?
Sometimes. About half of my anual mileage is my local commute. The other half is mostly day trips or overniters. So, I tend to take my tires down to the cord. This has gone bad on me just once so far. I left on a 2500 mile trip with a marginal rear tire that I thought would get me home. Rather than risk being out of tire, out in the boonies, and in the middle of the night on the 1000 mile leg homeward; I changed it out a smidgen early (for me) at a local bike shop. The tire was right 'there' at the beginning of bald-in-the-middle when I made the decision. So, I figure that if a rider has cord showing, he is a local or has a plan that is about to go into effect. I can't recall meeting more than one or two riders who were so clueless as to have no idea that their tires were showing, or about to show, cord. The guys who like real good rubber all the time have enough disposable funds to afford it and/or spend a lot of time at 80mph or faster where the higher forces take more rubber off the tire and more caution is worth it. Being really gentle with the brakes and throttle and commuting sub-45mph will take sport tire rubber out to 20k miles if you can stand to ride/live like that.

Granted, I usually have a new set of tires stashed in the garage and can immediately change them out myself when I see the first sign of cord. And I am not so good at judging tire life that I can accurately predict how much mileage remains before taking a week long trip on a tire nearing the end of its life.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #7346
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Quote:
Nope, But I drive a truck all day. So I know something about retreads. You could not pay me to put them on my motorcycle OR my car.

I call B.S.! If you drive trucks for a living, you certainly spend a considerable amount of time on retreads.

EDIT; Sorry my bad, just realized that you were only referring to the bike or car. Although I suspect that a good retread is probably better than some of the off brand Chinese tires floating around.
None of the trucks do, ALL Brand new tires, $3400 worth on each tractor (not at the same time!) but the trailers we pull are not ours. They are not recaps either, they are those junk tires you talk about but at least they come apart in very small chunks...a recap will drop a 3' section of rubber and rip out fenders, lights and brakes. I would not drive anything with recaps.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #7347
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,528
YES! Smart man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post

Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #7348
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
None of the trucks do, ALL Brand new tires, $3400 worth on each tractor (not at the same time!) but the trailers we pull are not ours. They are not recaps either, they are those junk tires you talk about but at least they come apart in very small chunks...a recap will drop a 3' section of rubber and rip out fenders, lights and brakes. I would not drive anything with recaps.
We run recaps on all the axles including the steer but these trucks are in the city only no highway, contract is with Goodyear, never had one come apart....
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #7349
Beto
RustyGasket

Oddometer: 1,834

Originally Posted by Ogre_fl
"If it's anyone's fault for a crash... it's always the Ass Fault."
Beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #7350
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353