Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #781
Recker1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
just be courteous, AND safe, and let them go by.
Right - and my point is that that's not always possible, especially on a road like this.

As an aside, the bike/vehicle/truck/pedestrian/whatever in front always, always has the right of way, period. While I'd agree with you in most scenarios, on a road like this, I'd be seriously pissed off if some a-hole distracted me from behind while I'm focusing 100% of my concentration on not biting it myself.
Recker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #782
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recker1 View Post
Right - and my point is that that's not always possible, especially on a road like this.

As an aside, the bike/vehicle/truck/pedestrian/whatever in front always, always has the right of way, period. While I'd agree with you in most scenarios, on a road like this, I'd be seriously pissed off if some a-hole distracted me from behind while I'm focusing 100% of my concentration on not biting it myself.
IT is ALWAYS possible to move to the fog line an check up for a second or two. It happens in Europe all the time on roads MUCH twistier, narrower, and blinder.

And once they go by, watch them for a corner or two and learn something. On 2 wheels there is NO road too narrow to allow a pass.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #783
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I will never understand the mind set of squids, why does the desire to go fast trump all other motorists rights to be on the road? I dont like being held up by a slow vehicle but I am mature enough to respect their right to be on public roads and that I don't have the right make decisions for them.

Pirates and granny don't go to the local track to do their thing.

Most folks have the character and wisdom to recognize there is a time and place for everything, some can't see beyond their own self centered desires.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #784
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I will never understand the mind set of squids, why does the desire to go fast trump all other motorists rights to be on the road?
Have you seen the anti cruiser threads here?

But I agree with you.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #785
Myopic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I've never met an ipa i did'nt like.
Myopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #786
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,081
When you are comfortable, check up, move to the right of your lane, and wave someone by in a straight. I have been on this road. I have given and received wave by's between turns. You know when someone faster than you is behind you. That is a distraction and you are safer to let them by. Not because they will run you over or try a bone head pass like the one above, but because you are not completely focused on the road ahead of you. Also, some of you talk about not trusting someone's ability to pass you?? I worry more about people behind me running into me! I would rather let them by and react to their choices than be intimately involved in them.

Look, the dragon is a destination and not a route for most folks. Everyone is there to ride, some faster than others. But like any other patch of asphalt, you aren't in a bubble, just cause you're in the right don't mean someone else will always yield to you. Not sayin' it's right, just sayin' sometimes, due to decisions by both parties, that's what happens.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #787
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Not everyones willing to risk getting a ticket just to appease the squids behind them.

Slow traffic moves right applies to two or more lanes in the same direction. Letting some dumbass squid by you have never met could be a very bad thing.
No one is saying to risk getting a ticket. Just move to the right side of the lane and wave the rider by with your left hand. In July '08' I was on my way to Montana on highway 12.

It was a beautiful day and though I had ridden and driven the road over a hundred times and have pushed it hard at times on bikes and cars… This day I was taking it slow and enjoying the trip.

The national BMW rally was in Wyoming in a couple of days so there were a lot of great riders enjoying the road in a different and much faster way that I chose to that day. Every time I saw a solo rider or group of riders coming in my mirrors I pulled to the right and waved them past.

It is not hard. It is very courteous and they were very appreciative of it as I later found out when I pulled off at the pass to chat with about 30 of them that had pulled off to take a break before heading down the Montana side.

It is the right thing to do as a rider and you don't need multiple lanes to be nice and pull right.

Quote:
I agree. If there is a place to pull over fine. I didn't see one in that video.
12' lane and a 28" wide bike... What more space do you need?

Quote:
You could be held liable if he ran into an oncoming vehicle or had an accident in general.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #788
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Bluhduh More squid vid?

I think the conversation between Squid, AlmostRunIntoCarDriver, Mr. Blinky Light and Mr. Cameraman would be interesting. I wonder if the camera kept recording?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #789
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4lho View Post

Look, the dragon is a destination and not a route for most folks. Everyone is there to ride, some faster than others.
I guess its being in the middle of a National Park and National Forest escaped you notice?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #790
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,721

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #791
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recker1 View Post
Wait... so while safely negotiating this lengthy series of sharp turns and blind corners, you suggest also having watch out for the a-holes riding up behind you and somehow finding a way to safely "move over" to let them by?

YES!!! It is not that hard people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
So it's the safely operating individual to blame for Ricky Racer being a dickhead? How does that work?
NO!!! But Ricky Racer could have (and should have) been waved past by the lead rider in the video.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-23-2011 at 11:50 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #792
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Ricky Racer also is the one who attempted (what turned out to be) an unsafe pass.

Sure, one could complain all one wants about being held up, however I've always been told, and have always figured it is on the passer to execute a safe pass. If the passee (is that a word?) is polite, they will wave faster vehicles by, and make room, but I don't really have much sympathy for someone who attempts a pass when it isn't safe.

Yes, I have passed on double yellows, I've declined passes in passing zones when I couldn't see far enough ahead for my comfort levels, and I have (most definitely!) waved people by when in my overloaded, motorcycle-towing car. Granted I've not spent a lot of time on roads like the Dragon, the closest being the Blue Ridge Parkway in the middle of a road trip, with my loaded up station-wagon, roof box, and snow tires to boot. Didn't really spend much time being held up, but *did* get acquainted with the pull-offs!

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #793
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I guess its being in the middle of a National Park and National Forest escaped you notice?

No, I knew about Hwy 129 when I starting hiking/exploring the Smokies way before I started riding.

But, I didn't notice your point.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #794
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No, I knew about Hwy 129 when I starting hiking/exploring the Smokies way before I started riding.

But, I didn't notice your point.
That there are many users of the area.

Quote:

Look, the dragon is a destination and not a route for most folks. Everyone is there to ride,
Your 2 statements seem to be rather contradictory.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #795
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 969
No one rides there anymore, it's too crowded.
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote