Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #931
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
How cute, those two riders are wearing the same tennis shoes.

Those two are what I call lazy riders. While what they are doing is not un-safe due to the open sight-lines... They are robbing themselves of the joy of maintaining the twisty bits of pleasure. Stay in your own damn lane!!! Why go to the Dragon only to make it into a lesser road by straightening it out? Makes no sense. NO SENSE!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #932
kellito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
not on the dragon but:

was on ACH, taking a nice ride, good pace, going into a right hander, late apex, all of a sudden I am sharing a lane with the 1098 that was just 3 bikes behind me. I was a little pissed, but because I was riding well within my means, I just got on the brakes a bit and let him slide ahead of me. No biggie. Rude, yes, but not too bad.

What actually pisses me off, other than shitty drivers/riders blowing corners, is getting stuck behind a soccer mom van that is struggling to negotiate the turns. This driver will NEVER use the turnouts that are everywhere, even after the signs that say "slower vehicles use turnouts".

What works for me is this: I use the pullout, take a break, bitch about fucking shitkickers, get back on road, ride my pace.
kellito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #933
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
This. Period.
Right, because arbitrary speed laws that universally apply to all vehicles are the end-all determination of what is right or wrong for reasonable, logical human beings.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #934
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
A double yellow on a farm road that indicates it's not safe to pass for car doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe when you're riding a high-performance sportbike.
Right there is a big part of the problem. Take that high performance sportbike to the track. Not saying you fall into this category but I'd estimate more sportbike owners don't know what the hell they are doing on it then the ones who do. Tons of "vids of squids on sportbikes" on Youtube.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #935
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Question for all of you "no-passers":

If you come up on a cyclist while riding, do you wait behind him until a legal passing zone? I sure hope so, because that's the EXACT same situation you are describing when you ask other motorcyclists to wait for your slow ass. A bicycle is legal the same as a motorcycle, as far as following traffic laws. I'd love to see you justify flying past a cyclist in a way that is consistent with NOT allowing the exact same thing with two motorcycles.

Think of it this way: I will treat a slow motorcyclist the same way I would treat a slow cyclist. Pass them at an opportunity that I deem reasonable, with sufficient visibility, and continue on my way. Doesn't seem hard.

I'd LOVE to see you asshats ride 15 mph behind a cyclist for miles because there was "no legal passing zone."
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #936
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
Question for all of you "no-passers":

If you come up on a cyclist while riding, do you wait behind him until a legal passing zone? I sure hope so, because that's the EXACT same situation you are describing when you ask other motorcyclists to wait for your slow ass. A bicycle is legal the same as a motorcycle, as far as following traffic laws. I'd love to see you justify flying past a cyclist in a way that is consistent with NOT allowing the exact same thing with two motorcycles.

Think of it this way: I will treat a slow motorcyclist the same way I would treat a slow cyclist. Pass them at an opportunity that I deem reasonable, with sufficient visibility, and continue on my way. Doesn't seem hard.

I'd LOVE to see you asshats ride 15 mph behind a cyclist for miles because there was "no legal passing zone."
Not too may cyclists can do a sustained 35mph or better unless they are professional riders in a race. Not the same at all...Good try though!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #937
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Also, MOST cyclists stay to the far right in the lane they are in. MSF recommends riders stay in the left third of the lane to see and be seen. I guess the MSF is a bunch of asshats too...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #938
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Not too may cyclists can do a sustained 35mph or better unless they are professional riders in a race. Not the same at all...Good try though!
Oh but it is the same. The speed limit is the upper end of where it is legal to ride. Nothing says you can't ride below the limit. The question is about how you handle a guy on a bicycle who is going maybe 15 MPH in a 35 zone. Do you pass him when its safe or do you wait until there is a passing zone or he pulls off the road?
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #939
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Oh but it is the same. The speed limit is the upper end of where it is legal to ride. Nothing says you can't ride below the limit. The question is about how you handle a guy on a bicycle who is going maybe 15 MPH in a 35 zone. Do you pass him when its safe or do you wait until there is a passing zone or he pulls off the road?
I give plenty of room to cyclists(and any person/vehicle) as I am one my self and get pissed when some azz goes flying past, inches from me. Is that how you pass cyclists?
That being said I no longer ride on the road because of this exact reason...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #940
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
What's missing here is the basic, common-sense approach. If you're in a hurry, that's OK. If I wanna meander, that's OK. My right to meander doesn't trump your right to be in a hurry - but the speed limit is the final determinant to a large degree.
You used the terms "common sense" with "speed limit" in the same discussion. that is the crux of the problem. The speed limit is quite often arbitrary. It is always based upon the speed that large, cumbersome trucks can safety maintain on a given road and has no relationship to what is safe for even a semi-skilled rider on a decent bike.

Using the speed limit as your "final determinant" throws common sense out the window. Common sense is that better riders can safely move at higher speeds than the legal limit. Yes, that breaks the law, but that is a decision for the rider to make, not the road blocking and inconsiderate rider in front.

Now, in the case of the video, the faster rider didn't use common sense either. He obviously was riding beyond his skill level and is therefore an idiot who violated both the law and common sense. The front rider was within the law, but as Drakez points out she lacks common sense by going to a place like the Dragon and straightening out the lines. Both riders violate the laws of common sense.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #941
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I give plenty of room to cyclists(and any person/vehicle) as I am one my self and get pissed when some azz goes flying past, inches from me. Is that how you pass cyclists?
That being said I no longer ride on the road because of this exact reason...
OK... you give them plenty of room... fine. But do you pass them before they pull over or before you hit a passing zone? That's the question. We all know that on the right road, in the right situation, its perfectly safe to pass on a double yellow line. You can pass quickly and give them plenty of room in the right situation. That was the point. We all do it. Getting high and mighty about speed limits and double yellow passing ignores the fact that we all do it to bicycles. Its a hypocracy to complain about passing motorcycles if you do it to bicycles.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #942
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Also, MOST cyclists stay to the far right in the lane they are in. MSF recommends riders stay in the left third of the lane to see and be seen. I guess the MSF is a bunch of asshats too...
On two lane that is a good way to get yourself killed by a car coming the other way pulling out from behind a truck or motorhome to pass. DO NOT be so ridged in what you learned from the MSF.

To “see and be seen” sometimes means being to the far right of your lane.

So while the MSF is NOT a bunch of asshats clearly some of the people that listen to what they teach are not bright enough to apply what they teach in an intelligent manner are asshats.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #943
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,831
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Th...4&g=0QAK00XH06

Start on the bottom of page 34
Old 04-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #944
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
OK... you give them plenty of room... fine. But do you pass them before they pull over or before you hit a passing zone? That's the question. We all know that on the right road, in the right situation, its perfectly safe to pass on a double yellow line. You can pass quickly and give them plenty of room in the right situation. That was the point. We all do it. Getting high and mighty about speed limits and double yellow passing ignores the fact that we all do it to bicycles. Its a hypocracy to complain about passing motorcycles if you do it to bicycles.
Like I said a couple posts back
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh
Not the same at all...Good try though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
On two lane that is a good way to get yourself killed by a car coming the other way pulling out from behind a truck or motorhome to pass. DO NOT be so ridged in what you learned from the MSF.

To “see and be seen” sometimes means being to the far right of your lane.

So while the MSF is NOT a bunch of asshats clearly some of the people that listen to what they teach are not bright enough to apply what they teach in an intelligent manner are asshats.
Should I write a book to answer all these questions. I didn't say you had to say in the left third. I almost always move over to the center or far right when an oncoming vehicle(s) is(are) approaching from the opposite direction.
Don't always assume. Don't be so ridged in your belief that the lead vehicle should immediately pull over to let someone by.
I'm done...gone riding to slow some one down. See Ya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin Thumper
I only see 18 pages...I'll check it out when I get back from my rolling road block.

bwalsh screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 11:07 AM
Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #945
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
There is only 32 pages.