Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #31
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,297
Yeah. I'm in for this one...

And I can help with pics if you need.
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
Coachgeo OP
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Cliff notes version

Economic crunch... loose all money, protect my tigers, live homeless, enroll in college on partial loans... (already got degree(s), very little $$ assistance out there for folk who already have degrees)..run out of money.... quit college.. ... Give up on TX.

Move to TN get low wage job.

Ya got to do what tya got to do

One of the two Tigers traded for future fabrication work/diesel install etc (friend and member here)

in Last month Kohler/Briggs 800?cc diesel Turbo Engine (actually two), Bike work table, and CVT donated for this project by occasional member here and friend.

Engines/CVT/table in CA, Bikes and fabricator in TX. Stuff might as well be on the Moon. Got no way to get them to TX !!!YET!!!

IT WILL HAPPEN THOUGH. Im stubborn

Coachgeo screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 01:08 PM
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #33
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
Move to TN get low wage job. Ya got to do what tya got to do
Where in TN?

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #34
Coachgeo OP
Diesel Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Where in TN?
Im in the Cookeville area. Bike though is in the area of Justin TX at Curtis's house. Hes going to do the fabrication/Install. No bike here in TN. :(
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #35
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
I know you've had set-backs. I'm glad to hear the build is ongoing.

P.S. I just bought a 96 hp Kubota turbo diesel tractor. My cousin is a dealer, I'll show him your build thread.

Chin up , full power !
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #36
Coachgeo OP
Diesel Adventurer

Loved the folk in TN but rebuilding life on those wages would never happen. Got recruited to coach/direct programs further north between Cincy and Dayton OH.

WE ARE ROLLLINGGGGGGGGG
slowly (debt repayment comes first. Skipp lots of beer... apply money to diesel bike project.)

Donated engines went elsewhere since I could not get to CA to pick them up. He would not allow shipping.

D722 Kubota Engine purchased and delivered to Curtis in TX
CVT from Polaris purchased. Also Delivered now.

. ratteling cages and getting all info I can to hopefully mount the CVT BEHIND the engine instead of the primary pulley/clutch jutting out from the Flywheel just asking to PLEASE DROP HERE
. Turbo is planned along with turn up fuel and few easy engine performance gains just after getting baseline performance figures.

Coachgeo screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 09:33 PM
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #37
Coachgeo OP
Diesel Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaRamble View Post
Briggs site says 196 lbs under "Engine Dimensions"
Slightly less horsepower (but Im skinny) and cause engine is nearly 60lbs lighter... went with Kubota D722 at dry weight 130ish lb
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #38
Byrdman
Fat guy on a little bike!

Oddometer: 343
Glad to hear all is getting better Coach and love that fact that the diesel Tiger project is still alive and moving forward.........

The next time I get into Dayton, we'll have to meet up for a beer or ten!
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #39
Coachgeo OP
Diesel Adventurer

hope to is be able to install CVT as if it was a chain driven divorced transmission. Why? Will allow installing the huge CVT primary clutch deeper under seat instead of jutting out from the flywheel begging to be dropped on etc. Granted this huge would only be a few inches more than 3" belt drive set up it would require to run an Ultima.

Might consider shaft drive to keep CVT tucked away as the Track bike does.. buttt, if that is only way to tuck the CVT out of harms way.....$$$ will probably force me to stick with conventional; AKA putting the Primay CVT pulley on the flywheel.

Look forward to it Byrdman. Just PM me when it looks like it might happen.

Coachgeo screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 08:52 AM
Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #40
Thunderhart8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Love the build and I am subscribed. I do have some questions. I may have overlooked. I see that you have the bike built.. Pretty much... My question is that of the transmission/gearbox. What's up with the cvt? And the learning curb what has not worked we'll. could you add some more pics of the specifics. I am seriously considering a very similar build. Thanks in advance
Thunderhart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #41
Coachgeo OP
Diesel Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhart8 View Post
Love the build and I am subscribed. I do have some questions. I may have overlooked. I see that you have the bike built.. Pretty much... My question is that of the transmission/gearbox. What's up with the cvt? And the learning curb what has not worked we'll. could you add some more pics of the specifics. I am seriously considering a very similar build. Thanks in advance
My bike is not built yet. Though I can see why you may be confused. In this thread the pics and a video alluded too and found on the board I linked too, are of the exact type bike builds as mine will be. Most are of Hiecko's bike out of Germany. Some maybe of Stuarts in Europe. Most use a 6speed Ultima w/3" belt drive. Heicko also built some (but dont think they're shown here) with a CVTech CVT unit from a kubota powered Axaim car. This car is available in Europe but not here.

If you read all the drama (trust; me avoid doing so) you'll know why mine just now finally coming together. As to where does CVT come into play? I chose to go with CVT to keep the bike lighter in part but also to speed up the learning curve of riding so I can hit the trails sooner and enjoy mother nature away from the nearly 700 students I endure weekly. Love what I do but solitude is needed to balance the mayhem. Learning Curve; As a person with a Biomechancis/Motorlearning background and far better understanding of my own physical talents (and lack of) as a near life long gymnast, trust me... Im better off; as well as those around me, without a having a foot shifter to deal with. Not have a "long" history of motorcycling Im not limited by a biased need for a foot shifter. I drive and raced (SCCA) manual shift cars, yet did semi hardcore offroading with an Automatic for cleaner drivablity reasons and that left me thinking for offroading a motorcycle even on open trails....... an auto would be easier just like in my old Jeep TJ. Granted my diesel Unimog was a manual but could just put it in low 2 and go anywhere for days with an occasional shift into third ; maybe 4th, low on the flats.

as to pics. Hope to get build report full of pics but I cant make that happen. Traded a second Tiger to a friend with fabrication experience in rockcrawlers, race cars, motorcycles etc. to build my bike. Can't force him to take pics and we are 1000 miles apart since I moved to find work.

to get a good eye full of diesel bike builds, and ideas about bike builds go to dieselbike.net and its forum suckindiesel.com/thingy

Coachgeo screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 06:37 PM
Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #42
Coachgeo OP
Diesel Adventurer

Considering going with a north south engine mount to keep things more narrow (3" belt drive or CVT off of flywheel adds a good bit of width. Surprisingly........ the CVT even more so than belt drive.)

With North South engine orientation you gota go with a shaft drive or right angle gear box to chain. Shaft drive is how the CVTed Track Diesel is done. Research seems to show that Right side Final drives are CCW while Left sides are CW thus best would be right side Final Drive since engine is CCW spinner (as is most all engines). This is opposite side the OEM chain drive.

Plan would be to also put a sprocket at end of CVT output; belt or chain drive to a sprocket at the universal joint that the Final drive would attach too. Reason for the sprockets is to allow for the option of changing sprockets for adjustment of final ratio that you normally only get on a chain drive bike. Course if they made different ratios to swap into Final drives, would not need that ..... but no dice there; your stuck with the final drive's fixed ratio and nothing else. Thus the sprocket plan

With that in mind along with low rpm's of diesel engine and a cvt.......... what Final drive would you folk recommend? Honda goldwings are a dime a dozen and are right side Final drives. Not sure a Gold Wing wheel would go well though. Of course if by miracle a final drive that already has gear ratio's that would work well.......... then skip the sprockets and tag on end of Jack shaft the Secondary CVT clutch is on like the Track diesel seems to do. I dont know if that exist or not nor am I smart enough for the math to figure out what that miracle ratio would be

Coachgeo screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 09:58 AM
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #43
Coachgeo OP
Diesel Adventurer

Do you know anything about a shaft drive bikes final ratio? If so please let us know in form mentioned below

List final drive ratios with following data

Manufacture, Model bike,Years, left or right side unit, Gear Ratio

Coachgeo screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 06:38 PM
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #44
mglsite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I'm in

I picked up two Briggs/Vanguard diesel motors and have been wondering what to do with them.

My have to give this a try.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #45
Coachgeo OP
Diesel Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglsite View Post
I picked up two Briggs/Vanguard diesel motors and have been wondering what to do with them.

My have to give this a try.
Those are Diahatsu Diesels under briggs name. Are they Turbo? What year? What did they come from?