Oddometer: 10,037
Guzzis and gearboxes

L1gunman screwed with this post 08-05-2004 at 10:22 PM
L1gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
I'm deeply jealous of your the size & cleanliness of your garage/workshop!

Good luck with the bike.
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1gunman
Now we have the gearbox out, and we're looking at the part of the gearbox that fits into the clutch. I think the technical name is the input shaft. Im not sure, and the manuals in the garage, so its gonna be the input shaft for right now. If you look at the base of the input shaft you can see the oilseal around the base of the shaft. The seal looks ok. no tears, no leaks.

the clutch pushrod is the thing that sticks out from the middle of the inputshaft. if you look at the pushrod, you can see gear lube dripping off of it. I think chop was right. the amin seal is good, but the pushrod seal is toast.

Theres another issue here thats a little worrying. look at the teeth on the gear of the input shaft. its not a great picture, but theres some wear on those teeth. instead of a nice straight cut surface, the teeth have little divots taking out of them. Like notches. This is where the clutch plates actually tranfer the power to the transmission. when the clutch engages and disengages, the plates slide up and down on those teeth. if the teeth are notchy, the clutch feels notchy, and wont engage smoothly. I think there are about 80k on this input shaft, which i think means im probably due for another.

Chop- whaddya think? run it a while longer? or go ahead and fix it now?
Since those splines are larger than the seal . . .

Can the splines be removed and replaced without disassembling the gearbox?
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Holy dogsnot! That input is fuxored. Replace it now. You can get it as a separate part. If your dealer looks at you like you are insane, call up Moto International.

To be honest I hav only messedwith the 4 speed tranny that predates yours by some 20 odd years. On that one though, it was just a circlip. the inner sleeve of the input hub has a set of keys machined into it that goes onto keyways on the shaft. ( I call em keys and ways because there are far to few to cal 'em teeth)

Sould be a walk in the park

FYI I like the guzzi input set up better than the bmw one. Sure the hub wears out aboutthe same time the clutch does. But should you ave an oopsie with the teeth on it, you dont have to replace the whole damned shaft

Oh and hang on to the old one. The factory clutch centering too is basically one of those input hubs. Weld the hole shut and drill it to take a bolt that matches the threads in the crank. ta-da clutch centering tool.