Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #136
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Any ideas?
Simple. Never install the 2nd spark plug. The 2nd piston only serves as a balancer.
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #137
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
No plans on selling if I ever get the engine in there. However I have been reading a bit more about the Super Enduro and have started wondering how much sense this project makes......

Yeah, that sucks, Thumpers is my home! If it were a V-Twin I could at least sneak into Orange Crush, but Beasts, come on!

We'll have to get Gadget Boy involved so he will want to keep it in his playground. Any ideas?
Even with an extra 40# on the motor, your bike will still be lighter than an SE. Add 640A wind protection, 50% better fuel economy, and non-ktm-motor reliability and you have quite a different bike.

The hard way: get a new cam made so the motor is a twingle.
The easy way: tell GB and everyone in beasts that if this thread is sent there, we're all coming with it.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #138
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
The easy way: tell GB and everyone in beasts that if this thread is sent there, we're all coming with it.
I can hear the Stromtroopers already
Old 06-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #139
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Even with an extra 40# on the motor, your bike will still be lighter than an SE. Add 640A wind protection, 50% better fuel economy, and non-ktm-motor reliability and you have quite a different bike.

I think we'll just stick to this thread then it might go unnoticed. As a backup plan I have uninstalled the spark plug so from now on it's officially a 325cc Kawi engine.

As far as the Super Enduro, 640 Adv protection - or even better - can easily be had as well. With a Safari and Advtank you'd have 38 liters on board which would help with fuel range. Plus an extra 35 HP.....

Kawi motor would be lower maintenance in the long run, but reliabilty would suffer since I am the one putting this thing together. Decisions, decisions,.....

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #140
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, aside from dreaming about the Super Enduro I managed to spend a few hours in the garage.

First I did some damage assessment on the ER-6N, not too bad really. Headlight, forks, tank, a dent in the wheel and some plastic. My buddy is going to get the frame measured to check if it's straight. Already have a line on another engine should he want to rebuild it.

Just realized that it has ABS. Even though I don't like it on dirt bikes having the option on a tourer would be kinda cool. Mixed with a few parts off the KTM 990 shouldn't even be that hard to adapt. Hhhmmmm.....

Then I got the Adventure stripped down almost completely. Pretty much all the parts I took off will be replaced by custom stuff so if any of you vultures need something PM me.

Didn't have a tape measure handy but the fit doesn't even look so bad. I'll probably build a dummy engine out of foam to try it first. Almost like it belongs in there, eh?

The next step is to find a cheap KTM EXC rear brake caliper so I can flip the wheel and have the sprocket on the left side. This will show us the plane in which the countersprocket need to be aligned. Anybody got one lying around?

Cheers,
Lukas

Old 06-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #141
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Old 06-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #142
Luke
GPoET&P

Is the caliper from the kawi not suitable?

....pass the salt
Old 06-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #143
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Is the caliper from the kawi not suitable?

....pass the salt
I haven't even looked into it, I wanted to stay with KTM so I can get one of those trick billet shark fins with integrated caliper mount for it.

Good news in that regard, I sold some more parts from the LC4 and promptly re-inwasted the money on this project.

I am now waiting for:

- A KTM 950/990 (not sure which one) 2 piston rear brake caliper. This would be cool to have but might be difficult because it uses a 25mm axle vs. my current 20mm one. Maybe we'll make a custom bushing for it. I would also have to look into adapting a bigger master cylinder.

- A KTM 520 EXC rear brake system. This is the alternative and should be a bit easier to put on. Not sure how well it will work since it's made for a much lighter bike, will have to experiment a bit.

On the gauge front:

- A stock Ninja 650R gauge cluster so I can get the engine running in the original chassis and make sure everything is ok.

This is a bit large for my liking so I might swap it out at some point. I like the one from the Versys and also the one from the ZX636, and am keeping my eyes open on a good deal. Apparently they just plug in. I could also ditch the whole thing and use my Touratech IMO 100R300 if that will work. Haven't looked into it in detail yet.

This is the 636 one:

I am now broke again, time to scrounge through the garage to sell more stuff. My precious......

Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #144
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
LOVE IT!!!!!

I'd vote for the stock 636 cluster. Fairly compact, works well and less fiddling; saving time to fiddle with other issues.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #145
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Would the 636 tach work correctly since it's based on a 4cyl bike instead of a twin?
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #146
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater
Would the 636 tach work correctly since it's based on a 4cyl bike instead of a twin?
But it looks goood!
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #147
Luke
GPoET&P

The LC8 caliper looks like it belongs to a 990. It's got the ABS sensor holder on it.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #148
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Quote:

This is the 636 one:

used to have a z1000, and i loved the digital tach.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #149
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, who cares how it works if it looks good.

Nah, it's supposed to be compatible. I found out that the tach I showed above is not from a 636 but rather a z1000 as clapped_r6 said. Even better for me since the red line is pretty close to the ER-6N instead of the 15.000 or so the 636 has on it.

Luke,

That was my thinking as well, or maybe from a SuperDuke? Interestingly enough the seller sold it to me as an EXC caliper, but at the price of a set of pads (they are new and included) I wasn't going to argue with him...

Old 07-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #150
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have been back in Spain for 3 weeks now so there was not a lot of actual progress on the bike. But instead of my wrenches at least my credit card got a very good workout.

Regarding the right hand side rear brake conversion, after speaking with the very helpful Jake Hulsebus from Scotts Performance we figured out that the 03 and earlier EXC caliper bracket is a mirror image of the LC4 one. This means I can just flip the wheel around and won't have to deal with wheel/disc/spacer alignment issues, plus I can use their trick billet shark fin like I wanted.

Got this new one for slightly more than a set of pads:

One concern I have with the EXC caliper is that it is made for a much lighter bike and only uses a 28mm piston. I noticed that my buddies 690 Rally with the new LC4 also has the caliper (32mm piston) on the right, and after some rough measuring it looks like it would bolt up to my bracket. However $320 is a bit rich for my blood and it's next to impossible to find these used, so I surfed the microfiches a bit more. I came across the 990 Superduke caliper which looks the same, and when one came up on Ebay I bought it on a whim. I will have to confirm the fit next time I am home, maybe I got lucky and it will work.

As I am still not sure if the 28L Hard Parts tank will fit over the wider twin cylinder engine, I ended up getting a set of KTM 660 Rally tanks. These are split in the front which will give me all the room I need, hopefully without making the bike too wide. Then I can also put the airbox under the front of the seat should that turn out to be easier to build.

I'll have to fabricate some brackets similarly to what Charly Rauseo did on his Dakar 525/660 conversion bikes, even if time consuming this shouldn't be too hard. I plan on combining them with a 690RR fairing with the 2 vertically arranged lights. Always loved the look of the KTM Dakar bikes and with the rear tanks I will have 48 liters/12.7 gallons fuel capacity - can you say 650+ mile range! Plus they will act as stand-offs for my Andystrapz soft panniers.

Finally, as far as the engine goes: I received the Ninja 650 gauge cluster but found out that the connector plug is different. As it turns out however, you don't even need to have the gauges hooked up to start the engine. So my ER6N is now officially running and starts the second you look at the magic button - EFI is nice! I am still not sure if I want to part out the bike, though, so I also picked up a Versys engine with 6k on it just in case. As was brought up before, maybe it's even better suited for an adventure bike with it's lower compression and more torque in the lower and mid end anyway....

LukasM screwed with this post 07-09-2009 at 03:03 PM