Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #196
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Did we ever get a weight on squarewire's aprilasaki bike? It seems the critical mass for these frankenbikes is around 400 pounds, no? The 950se is 420#? This is a fun problem to try to solve but many avenues lead towards the SE. I hope the katamaki650 is lighter and cheaper in the long run!
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #197
Fuzznuts
Your Guide

Oddometer: 26
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet
Did we ever get a weight on squarewire's aprilasaki bike? It seems the critical mass for these frankenbikes is around 400 pounds, no? The 950se is 420#? This is a fun problem to try to solve but many avenues lead towards the SE. I hope the katamaki650 is lighter and cheaper in the long run!
I know the Verses is supposed to be heaver but I've decided it was low in the frame and besides, pushing a light bike is not near as fun as riding a heavy one. I really love the 950s but four hours to change the oil?

Cheaper remains to be seen. I've spent two intensive days with google and haven't found a good deal yet. I will, I know but I want it now...

I really like my bike but running past dead cows, goats and dogs along cross marked Mexican roads makes me want my engine to keep running. ...and it doesn't. I want to fix that. So I admit, I've kept a blind eye towards weight...I tell myself it will be low...sort of like if desert heat is dry, then it's okay.
Fuzznuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #198
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzznuts
pushing a light bike is not near as fun as riding a heavy one.

2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #199
Fuzznuts
Your Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr

Thanks...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #200
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Dealers are also calling this bike a KLE and it has Versys on the tank. Is it any different?
The 650 twin in each bike is the same from 2006-2009. But as mentioned before the version in the Versys is slightly different (heads, cams, compression, ECU) from Ninja and ER-6N as it is tuned for more low end. If you can find one I think it's the better choice. There is one on Ebay for $800 that has been there for a long time. I'd offer the guy $500 or make another deal including all the other needed parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet
Unfortunately Squarewire hasn't posted any more details, hopefully he will be back. As for the weight, it looks like the 650 twin is about 35 lbs heavier than the LC4, and about the same as the LC8 . But depending on which KTM you base it on it should still be a bit lighter than 400lbs.

I'll try to make mine as light as possible while still retaining the functionality I am looking for. But if I go with 4 tanks, a full fairing, dual projector HIDs etc there is only so much you can do. And while the SE is an awesome bike (I am still considering one) a much better comparison would be an LC8 Adventure with Aqualine tanks.

Now for something pretty cool, I was sent the following pictures. Apparently some guy managed to put the twin into a Honda XR-L frame.

I don't have any detailed info but I got this answer from him:

"i did not document anything, i just done it . i had some disrespectfull harley friends and i just had to show them power !!! if you know what im trying to say . "

I do have his phone number though, so maybe I'll try to talk to him and get some tips. Somehow I have a feeling that I will the first guy calling him from Europe, and that my stuck-up-boarding-school-learned English will be a bit different from his.

As you can see in the pictures there is very little ground clearance, like on Squarewires bike. I will definitely have to make a custom exhaust system with a different routing, probably on the side of the engine, just under the footpegs and then coming up behind the rear tanks, like on the 690 Rally.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #201
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,496
Holy Cow, Lukas, you're a mind reader.

This is *exactly* (or almost exactly) what I'd like to build as well.

I'm familiar with your DR build, and see you posting over on TT quite often.

Subscribed. Can't wait to see the final result.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #202
Fuzznuts
Your Guide

Ebay Verses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
The 650 twin in each bike is the same from 2006-2009. But as mentioned before the version in the Versys is slightly different (heads, cams, compression, ECU) from Ninja and ER-6N as it is tuned for more low end. If you can find one I think it's the better choice. There is one on Ebay for $800 that has been there for a long time. I'd offer the guy $500 or make another deal including all the other needed parts

Unfortunately Squarewire hasn't posted any more details, hopefully he will be back. As for the weight, it looks like the 650 twin is about 35 lbs heavier than the LC4, and about the same as the LC8 . But depending on which KTM you base it on it should still be a bit lighter than 400lbs.

I'll try to make mine as light as possible while still retaining the functionality I am looking for. But if I go with 4 tanks, a full fairing, dual projector HIDs etc there is only so much you can do. And while the SE is an awesome bike (I am still considering one) a much better comparison would be an LC8 Adventure with Aqualine tanks.

Now for something pretty cool, I was sent the following pictures. Apparently some guy managed to put the twin into a Honda XR-L frame.

I don't have any detailed info but I got this answer from him:

"i did not document anything, i just done it . i had some disrespectfull harley friends and i just had to show them power !!! if you know what im trying to say . "

I do have his phone number though, so maybe I'll try to talk to him and get some tips. Somehow I have a feeling that I will the first guy calling him from Europe, and that my stuck-up-boarding-school-learned English will be a bit different from his.

As you can see in the pictures there is very little ground clearance, like on Squarewires bike. I will definitely have to make a custom exhaust system with a different routing, probably on the side of the engine, just under the footpegs and then coming up behind the rear tanks, like on the 690 Rally.

Fuzznuts
Lukas...can you give me a link to the ebay Verses? I look and it says 0 hits. I'm hot to get this...
Old 09-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #203
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,464
Quote:
Fuzznuts
Lukas...can you give me a link to the ebay Verses? I look and it says 0 hits. I'm hot to get this...
VERSYS
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #204
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr
VERSYS
. Yeah, what Tony said.

I don't know anything about the seller though, so buyer beware!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-Ka...Q5fAccessories

By the way Fuzznuts, leave just the important stuff in a quote or simply hit the reply button. Otherwise the entire post with all the pictures will be copied and makes it much slower to load and a pain to scroll through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al
Holy Cow, Lukas, you're a mind reader.

This is *exactly* (or almost exactly) what I'd like to build as well.

I'm familiar with your DR build, and see you posting over on TT quite often.

Subscribed. Can't wait to see the final result.
Hey Al! Get in on the fun then. DR build post needs to be updated at some point but right now I am liking this project a lot more...

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #205
Fuzznuts
Your Guide

Use of the "reply button"

I got it...thanks.

I sent a query about the Ebay engine...it has a forlorn look. I asked if it came with anything. Waiting for reply...
Old 09-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #206
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM

Looks a lot like the old, great, but sadly underdeveloped and rare XLV750.

A bike I'd love to have with modern components.
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #207
Fuzznuts
Your Guide

Yaus...

Now that's a bike worth putting modern suspension on. I know it's a classic but ...well, you'd just need to have two of 'em. One classic and one fiddled with...
Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #208
Fuzznuts
Your Guide

Ebay motor

Lukas,
I've had some exchanges with those people and studied the two pictures. It's an engine with no history of mileage, etc. It comes with nothing and they don't seem interested in looking. There is corrosion reminiscent of our bikes after a splash on the beach.

Also there seems to be gray silicone squeezed out from under the cam cover... I'd be biting my nails on this one...plus where and how much does the rest of the "kit" cost?

So far, I've spent zip on this project. I can do it nicely but don't want to take a running motor out and be stuck for parts. I'll be up in the states for the next week. It will give me time to collect my thoughts on this...and maybe find one. Will be checking my mail.

Thanks very much to everyone on this thread. I'm seeing some outrages beasts here. Fuzznuts
Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #209
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
This is well beyond off into twins territory, so it's time for a thread punt.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #210
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,185
Welcome to Beasts, Lukas! I'm a Versys rider, so I'm very interested in this.