Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #226
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzznuts
I know it's a small item but we have "Revision Tecnica" here in CR and the speedo needs to be in Kilometers. Any ideas?
How about a solution instead, this is for the Versys gauges:

Indicate the ODO mode.
Check that the display [A] change to the mile and km display each time by pushing the RESET button while MODE button pushed in.

Modern technology has it's advantages! On the KTM you would have to change out the mechanical odometer drive and the gauges....
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #227
Fuzznuts
Your Guide

Oddometer: 26
Thanks

...and thanks again... anyone need a KTM speedo in K's? Available soon as I get a donor.
Fuzznuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #228
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...and thanks again... anyone need a KTM speedo in K's? Available soon as I get a donor.
No worries Paul! I like the enthusiasm.

Which of the donor bikes were available in CR?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #229
Fuzznuts
Your Guide

Donor bikes...

Don't know yet. I'm in touch with Edwin Fonseca (Ernesto's dad) here in CR. He's a Kaw dealer who also does business in Miami. Eddie and I are watching the prices of good used ones and a couple expensive wrecks that would cost the same by the time they were shipped from LA or England.

Mostly, I'm relaxing my grip and waiting for feedback from the noise I made with salvage yards, insurance companys and police connections. "What, tail light out? 'Fraid we're gonna have to impound your bike, son..."
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #230
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
You might want to get in touch with the Webers. I remember reading in a post somewhere how many hours it takes them to make the frame, was it 600? That's why they put a $50k+ tag on the Rally twin.

Coming from the kit car world I can definitely see the point of a donor bike concept, though. Sign me up if you make one that will accept KTM parts!
I expect that 600-hour figure is for initial concept all the way through to the first frame off the jig. I know flat track frame builders that can crank out a custom (i.e. all tubes hand-bent) frame every week. It's a much simpler frame, however.

IMHO, KTM has an excellent system for it's wheels -- same bolt pattern for all consumables, across all models and years (more or less). It also has the effect of driving down the cost of used parts and replica parts. Definitely my choice.

Regarding the kit format, a donor vehicle is both a necessity and an evil - I expect there is a seductive call to compromise your design ideas/ideals in order to save on fabrication time/cost by reusing OEM parts.

Do keep us posted, and satisfy our curiosity with many, many pix!
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #231
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

So..... I got the Versys engine today!!!

It looks to be in very good shape and pretty much complete. Got the fuel pump, EFI system, airbox, wiring harness, gauges and handlebar switches with it. I forgot to bring my camera but I've got an hour before I fly out tomorrow and will take some pics then.

Of course the first thing I did after unpacking was to weigh it. According to the analog scale about 54kgs +- 1kg (119 lbs). However the wiring harness and all the other crap weighs a ton as well. I will definitely have to put it on a "wiring diet" by cutting out the ABS, safety sensors and other crap. Reduces weight, simplifies things and removes potential problems.

Next I tried to drop the engine into the frame which I simply laid on the ground. Unfortunately it BARELY doesn't fit. The shape looks like it was made for it but it's missing about 1" on the front (where the water pump and oil filter sit) and quite a bit on the bottom because of the weird shape of the oil pan (which I removed thinking that the engine had been drained - what a mess!! ). I am going to cut a few unneeded brackets off the frame tomorrow but don't think this will solve it. Worst case it will require new bottom frame rails, but I kinda saw that one coming anyway.

Regarding the oil pan, the drain plug is extended about 1.5" on the bottom. I want to loose as little ground clearance as possible so I will have to do something about that. From looking at the inside it shouldn't be a problem to just cut that part off. Maybe I'll have to reinforce it a bit to get enough threads for the plug.

This is what it looks like on the Ninja 650R:

Old 10-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #232
Fuzznuts
Your Guide

Cool2 More the Beast...

Congrats Lukas! Can't you just stop traveling for awhile and get to work? I'm building mine in my head every day...
Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #233
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Regarding the oil pan, the drain plug is extended about 1.5" on the bottom. I want to loose as little ground clearance as possible so I will have to do something about that. From looking at the inside it shouldn't be a problem to just cut that part off. Maybe I'll have to reinforce it a bit to get enough threads for the plug.

This is what it looks like on the Ninja 650R:

One thought I had (if keeping the Kawasaki frame) is to just machine a new oil pan. It's not very big and I have access to CNC machines. A sturdier pan with bosses for a skidplate
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #234
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr
One thought I had (if keeping the Kawasaki frame) is to just machine a new oil pan. It's not very big and I have access to CNC machines. A sturdier pan with bosses for a skidplate
Hmmm, you could probably sell a few of those.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #235
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Of course the first thing I did after unpacking was to weigh it. According to the analog scale about 54kgs +- 1kg (119 lbs).

You da man! IIRC, my Nx engine is 70lbs...

I'm Jonesing real bad at the though of this engine (the Ninja tho) in one of my Nx250 frames...

Should be a powerful 300- 320 lbs wet bike...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 03:19 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #236
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
loose indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx
negatory catchatory...

My bike is right at 280 wet, - 70 then add 120 = 330...(I know those are WAYYYY loose #'s...still won't stop me from dreaming tho )
not to be a thread hijacking douche, but you must have one of the special titanium and helium model nx650s. never seen a dry weight for one of those fine machines at anything less than 360 pounds. hell, not even an xr600 or an xr650r could get much below 280 DRY (honda claimed the xr650r to be 277 or something, but they probably weighed it without handlebars or something...).
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #237
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
my bad

Quote:
oops... it's a Nx250...(I thought it was somewhere in my sig)
the "oops" is all mine. sorry for teeing off. i should read more carefully. indeed you do have an nx250, far less girthy. standing down, as you were, nothing to see here... move along...
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #238
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
I've edited it back to 235 if y'all want to go back and delete?

I'll do the same, and this one...
yeah quit threadjacking. i wants to know about the versys, the whole versys, and nothing but the versys!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #239
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Congrats Lukas! Can't you just stop traveling for awhile and get to work? I'm building mine in my head every day...
Now that you mention it.... I will probably start working on a business project in Croatia in November so I might have to leave Spain for good and mainly be located in Vienna again. for missing the nice riding weather all year round, but for a chance to really get crackin' on my never ending car/bike projects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr
Tony, count me in! The stock cast pan is a rather flimsy piece anyway. Shouldn't be that hard to copy the design since it doesn't have any baffles etc.

I am sure you could find a few interested people between Advrider, Versys forum etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #240
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Tony, count me in! The stock cast pan is a rather flimsy piece anyway. Shouldn't be that hard to copy the design since it doesn't have any baffles etc.

I am sure you could find a few interested people between Advrider, Versys forum etc.
This is how businesses get started! Get crackin' on that CAD file...
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote