Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Wow, lots of cool suggestions!

But I really like the idea of a twin. I only thought about the V-Strom and was sad that it would clearly not fit. Never even heard about the Versys before you guys mentioned it, but now that I have done some reading this thing seems perfect! Compact inline twin, 650cc, 6 speed, FI, 55-65mpg, 63HP/45ft-lbs, readily available for less than $1k even here in Europe. Now I just have to figure out if this thing will fit, especially since it's left hand output.
On the other hand, you may consider getting an ER6 (naked version of versys with 5+hp), replace forks, swingarm and shock, transfer the exhaust from under the engine to the side for better ground clearance, lighten it here and there and you will end up with a sub 200kgr fully fuelled bike. The versys is 205 fully fuelled.

Of course this is the 'daddy' of this kind of machine....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=50630&page=32

mousitsas screwed with this post 04-22-2009 at 05:07 PM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #17
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,685
I'm with you, Ninja 650 motor hands down.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #18
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Hey Lucas,

Keep us posted if you go ahead with this. If the KTM 690 Adventure never sees the light of day, there may well be a few people thinking along similar lines. The Kawasaki engine seems a gun option.

Ta,

Adrian
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
putting a twin in that chassis could prove difficult... this would widen the bike a fair bit, and you might not have enough room length wise.

Stick to a single.
I'd put a F650 motor in it, or an x-challenge motor if you can find one. They meet all your demands.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #20
BtoV
FNG

Oddometer: 300
I'm scheming on putting a 650 Versys engine in a dirt bike frame. Pretty compact motor, 6 speed FI etc. A fried of mine is scheming on using a 360 twin Honda motor with upgraded suspension,
BtoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #21
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Kawasaki EX500
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:13 AM   #22
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,597
V twin? Aprillia 550, lightwieght, FI, powerful, reliable.

Shits andn giggles? CR500, ultralight, tons of power, FI? Who cares man.....
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 AM   #23
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
V twin? Aprillia 550, ....... reliable.

and low maintenance too!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #24
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459
06 lc4 660
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #25
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
On the other hand, you may consider getting an ER6 (naked version of versys with 5+hp), replace forks, swingarm and shock, transfer the exhaust from under the engine to the side for better ground clearance, lighten it here and there and you will end up with a sub 200kgr fully fuelled bike. The versys is 205 fully fuelled.

Of course this is the 'daddy' of this kind of machine....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=50630&page=32
Grafting everything onto the Versys or ER-6/Ninja frame might be possible, but I think it will end up being just as much or more work than a swap. I also doubt that it will work together as well as the LC4 chassis. This guy tried it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319441

I would also like to end up considerably lighter than 200kg. Around 160kg (without fuel) should be doable, apparently the Versys engine weighs around 55kg (to be confirmed). So slightly more than an LC4, but I can save a bit with lighter muffler, fiberglass fairing, rally tank etc. Something like Jaybo has done on his LC4, except for the rear tank I have almost all the parts anyway:

I have a feeling that a 160kg Adv with a 62+ HP twin would be a lot of fun....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
putting a twin in that chassis could prove difficult... this would widen the bike a fair bit, and you might not have enough room length wise.

Stick to a single.
I'd put a F650 motor in it, or an x-challenge motor if you can find one. They meet all your demands.
The Versys engine seems to be quite compact. I am going to the local Kawi dealer (who happens to be a family friend) and will get some measurement this weekend. Hopefully I'll get in a test ride as well.

I agree the BMW 650 would be the easiest choice. I might still end up doing that if I find a good deal, but but it wouldn't be anything you can't do with a farkled X-Challenge. Touratech rally fairing, front tank, and steel subframe, etc. Could have just gotten this bike on Ebay a few weeks ago, sold for €6k or so:

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #26
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
LukasM,

The Xchallenge engine might not even be such a simple job, remember the head has a vertical design, meaning inlet trajectory doesnt point backwards, but upwards instead. Jeah, I see what you think, you might flip that inlet rubber 180 degrees, but it's still very high built. Hard to fit that in a frame with a central spine imho.

But how about a PAMI tuned 700cc F650 Funduro engine?
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #27
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
How about a new Husaberg FE 570 engine....

It would kick ass.....
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 AM   #28
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
LukasM,

The Xchallenge engine might not even be such a simple job, remember the head has a vertical design, meaning inlet trajectory doesnt point backwards, but upwards instead. Jeah, I see what you think, you might flip that inlet rubber 180 degrees, but it's still very high built. Hard to fit that in a frame with a central spine imho.

But how about a PAMI tuned 700cc F650 Funduro engine?
Good picture Max! I was not aware how tall it really is with the throttle body attached. Is the 04-07 F650 engine the same?

PAMI would definitely be fun as well, but I don't even want to think about all the €€€€s a 700cc mill from them would cost. And fuel efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica
How about a new Husaberg FE 570 engine....

It would kick ass.....
Heard lots of good things about the new Bergs as well, would love to own one when the 2nd hand ones come down in price.

But in the unlikely case that you could find one for sale, why would you put it in a heavy LC4 chassis? It's a race engine, and should be in a race bike. For an adventure bike it doesn't fit with criteria 2, 3, and 4.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #29
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 163
This will surely fit in the frame and have good performance, but I don't know anything about fuel economy and maintenance...

http://www.zabel-racing.de/motors.html
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #30
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
TRX yamaha 850
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote