User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #301
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,019
Hey Lukas,

I vote for making your own tank on one of the problems.

Here is a link that goes into "The Lost Foam Technique" a bit. There are some good videos on youtube too if you search them out. Once you get all your layers on and wetted out, vacuum bag it to get all the air and excess epoxy out, search for youtube vids on that as well. Should be strong and light, and mostly, any shape you like.

I would make it several layers of carbon fiber thick, and cross up the laminant layers a bit, 0, 90, 45 type of schedule.

My only issue with it would be to use an epoxy that won't break down with the gas in it, somebody tell me that's possible. I think it is, because I'm pretty sure I've read about fiberglass boats having molded-in fuel tanks...

In the end, you can probably gelcoat it any color you wish too.

If you're at all interested in this, I can give you links to some products I've hunted down (when I get home). PM me in case I forget to check back here.

BeeDub screwed with this post 02-17-2010 at 02:08 PM
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #302
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
Have you thought about flipping the motor over and learning to shift upside down on the right.

I was thinking along the same lines as Aussie Steve with the jack shaft idea, but I've got nothin for the tank and intake issues.

Rotating the motor back would centralize the mass, drop the output shaft, make room for the ktm tanks, and make room for the intakes, but then you are into the rear shock mount and the wide head would interfer with your ability to ride standing up.

Your in a tough place with that frame/motor combo.

Riding a motorcycle is fun. Riding a supermoto is inexplicable.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #303
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Fuel Tank Project!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDub
Hey Lukas,

I vote for making your own tank on one of the problems.

My only issue with it would be to use an epoxy that won't break down with the gas in it, somebody tell me that's possible. I think it is, because I'm pretty sure I've read about fiberglass boats having molded-in fuel tanks...
My vote is for a custom composite fuel tank too...

There isn't any problem with an epoxy resin system for use on fuel tanks. Once you get the tank built, you put a fuel tank sealer in it and slosh it around for good coverage. The Epoxy resin never touches the fuel. This is how the light aircraft sector does it.

The challenge you have to face with a composite tank is getting the design and layup schedule dialed in so that when you drop your bike you don't crack the tank.

I want a custom set of tanks for my bike and that latter problem is what keeps me up at night...that and the 5-week-old boy!

Go with a CUSTOM TANK!

Quote:

In the end, you can probably gelcoat it any color you wish too.
NEVER!!! don't go with gel coat. It cracks then looks awful. You don't need a gel coat to get a good finish on composites. A quality mold will yield a good surface; a good painter can take care of the rest with minimal effort.
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #304
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
custom carbon fibre tank thread

This has been suggested but I am not sure if you've read this thread. Its long and involved but the info in it seems quite on the money. Done in a shed too from memory. Its an idea for the tank anyhow......and at the end of this build.......

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...hreadid=145975
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #305
Fuzznuts
Your Guide

Oddometer: 26
Cool2 I don't like the jackshaft idea.

Aye Lucas...a sticky wicket there... I'd have done it first if an engine had fallen in my lap... sleep on this... the pieces you have might fit another engine. I rode a friends DR650 again the other day.... very acceptable vibration, a starter that always works and, after seven years renting and doing tours through Central America with them...reliable. Air/oil cooled and torque enough. I'll offer Fast Eddie Moran a drinkipoo and break out the tape measure tomorrow.

The tank should be adjustable with heat...no? No need for heroics there. Exhaust you can do...well, just repeating things here. If you fixed everything, at great cost in agita, you'd still end up with the very important countershaft sprocket height. If it's cold where you are, I have a small shop here in Costa Rica and a machine/weld shop next door.... I have a couple LC4s....
Fuzznuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #306
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzznuts
Aye Lucas...a sticky wicket there... I'd have done it first if an engine had fallen in my lap... sleep on this... the pieces you have might fit another engine. I rode a friends DR650 again the other day.... very acceptable vibration, a starter that always works and, after seven years renting and doing tours through Central America with them...reliable. Air/oil cooled and torque enough. I'll offer Fast Eddie Moran a drinkipoo and break out the tape measure tomorrow.
Somehow I don't think he wants to use a DR650 engine
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #307
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,382
I've been looking at doing the same type of conversion, and the long and short of it is that you'll need to basically design an entire new cradle for the motor in order to get the swing arm pivot and counter shaft sprocket in the right relationship. Then, you can hang all the LC4 suspension bits and bobs off of it. If you're designing from scratch, you can do neat things like adjustable height swingarm pivots to change squat characteristics.

This is really a positive.

Also, consider tipping the engine more vertically - viewed from the left, clockwise. That should help lower the sprocket.

When the sprocket and swingarm pivot are properly aligned, you wind up with not very much ground clearance because the street-oriented motor isn't designed with ground clearance in mind.

How much stuff on the bottom of the motor projects into that oil pan? Can you just fly cut the entire bottom of the pan an inch shorter and weld a new floor into it? A side-view photo of the bottom of the engine would be nice.

Nice mill - is it a Deckel?
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 AM   #308
Pulasky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Anyway things went too far.. U have got an engine and cuted lc4 frame... try find cheap damaged er6 frame and maybe try joine pieces of both frames to one suitable frame to engine and ktm suspention ... or buy a proper pipes find good welder and weld new frame U can make use bits from already cuted ktm frame... Engines in road bikes has front sprocet pretty high so pivot of the swing arm must be high to so in that case ground clerance never be sufficient.
Pulasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #309
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman
This has been suggested but I am not sure if you've read this thread. Its long and involved but the info in it seems quite on the money. Done in a shed too from memory. Its an idea for the tank anyhow......and at the end of this build.......

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...hreadid=145975
Good post. Just before I read it, I thought kevlar might be a great outer layer to add, and then I saw him talking about it.

By the way, this same guy has a couple youtube videos of working with composites as well, if I'm not mistaken.
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #310
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Good post. Just before I read it, I thought kevlar might be a great outer layer to add, and then I saw him talking about it.

By the way, this same guy has a couple youtube videos of working with composites as well, if I'm not mistaken.
Yep, hadn't read through the thread for a while, should've spotted them, quite good really.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Pretty amazing to me really what someone can/could do in there own back shed really although if Lukas goes down this track ontop of everything else this bike may have more one off bits than most....!!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #311
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Lukas,
I believe you can do this! As everyone has pointed out, the engine sits too high in the frame. Cut the front downtube just below the flat plate and across from where the cooling hose attaches. Cutting the frame there will give you more room to drop the engine down and move the bottom of the engine forward. This will make lining up the sprocket easiler. There is no way around spreading the rear section of the frame to make room for the intakes. You have a good foundation there. You may look at using square tubing and a wider swingarm. Maybe the swingarm from a KTM 950. Check it out. It may be wider and a better match for what you are wanting to do. The 950/990 saddle tanks would also solve a couple of your problems.

Make your engine cradle with the square tubing and use 1/4" flatplate to make the swingarm mounts for either side. Many bikes use flat side plates to do this. All you really need to keep are the backbone and the neck. The rest can be dealt with. It appears that a longer backbone would probably work better. Giving you a better (further back) attachment point for the sideplates (swingarm plates). Cut the backbone and have a new tube turned to fit inside the backbone tube. You just created all the room you'll ever need.

Trust me, I know what you are dealing with there. It can be done. Take your time and think it through. I'd also consider getting rid of the linkage and go with a simple linkless rear suspension. My Diesel KLR is getting WP 48mm USD forks from my 950 ADV. The 2008 Kawasaki KX450F trees are already fitted to the frame with a custom steering stem. The 48mm WP forks fit the KX trees perfectly. I just recently fitted a 1985 KLR600 aluminum subframe and seat to my 2008 KLR frame. We dropped more than a few pounds with that mod. She's coming together slowly but the design is solid. I'm in no hurry to finish it. Not much of the original motorcycle is left and it will be very lightweight.

SamM

2008 Diesel KLR456
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #312
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,181
My Helmet is off to you Lukas great work, great Journey, great posting.

I just stumble on the posting since I also have a 640 frame looking for a engine and you are saving me a lot of the home work already, in any case I have a few question for you before I continue on this "ShoeHorning" journey.

In my head at least seems logical to start by "Affixing" the counter shaft sprocket location as close to ideal since that function is a FACT, a.k.a. it need to be where it needs to be, the rest of the brackets can be fabricated in one way or another, but the chain line and the path of moment of the chain can not be tamper, so why are you trying to mount the engine with out having it already attach (temporary) to the frame....??

Anyway that is my question for you...

Oh also I have a great advantage in terms of engine selection since I'm going to use the chassis for a sidecar so i can run a engine that is not exactly in center (Triple, four)

Thanks again for the wonderful read.

Ricky
Old 03-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #313
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Come on guys, you are supposed to propose solutions and give me a kick in the butt for motivation!
Hey Lukas, I wanted to thank you for the motivation on my project. Here's back at you.

sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #314
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh

NICE!

Should be fun on gravel roads.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #315
Burbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Hey Sanjoh, What kind of wheels and forks did you use on that ninja dirt bike?
Burbo is offline   Reply With Quote