Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #331
luckett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
That's a completely custom frame designed around the ex500 engine. I was wondering more if anyone had swapped the 500 engine into one of the more common thumpers.
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #332
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,766
very cool project.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:57 AM   #333
dirt rider X
tropical traveller

Oddometer: 399
Rotax 650?

Lukas I share your and everyone elses disappointment that it wouldn't work.
I understand your preference for a multicylinder but did you consider the 650 Rotax engine?
Its pretty civilised vibration wise, not a bad performer and has a good rep as far as reliability.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
dirt rider X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #334
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Hey guys,

I am still following this thread closely, just not saying much because I haven't done any more work on the project.

I have already thought about the Rotax 650, in fact I stumbled on my new Beemer by accident when I was looking for a crashed X-series. I came to the conclusion that while definitely a sweet bike with lots of potential, in the end it would still be a 5 speed single with moderate power output, and I could get a similar result with a lot less work by modifying an X-Challenge.

If somebody brought out a big single with a wide ratio 6-speed like the TE610, similar power to the new LC4 690 and made it reliable like the Rotax, I'll be the first in the line of adventurers ready to buy it. Anybody listening?

Until then I'll keep dreaming about the home brew 650 twin. I still plan to give it a shot with the Versys engine eventually, but since I have more specialized bikes that fit my current needs better it's not really a priority at the moment.

Keep the good ideas coming though, maybe somebody else will get inspired.

Lukas

LukasM screwed with this post 06-29-2010 at 12:04 PM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #335
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,627
Talking

ultralite with a ninja 250?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Hey guys,

I am still following this thread closely, just not saying much because I haven't done any more work on the project.

I have already thought about the Rotax 650, in fact I stumbled on my new Beemer by accident when I was looking for a crashed X-series. I came to the conclusion that while definitely a sweet bike with lots of potential, in the end it would still be a 5 speed single with moderate power output, and I could get a similar result with a lot less work by modifying an X-Challenge.

If somebody brought out a big single with a wide ratio 6-speed like the TE610, similar power to the new LC4 690 and make it reliable like the Rotax, I'll be the first in the line of adventurers ready to buy it. Anybody listening?

Until then I'll keep dreaming about the home brew 650 twin. I still plan to give it a shot with the Versys engine eventually, but since I have more specialized bikes that fit my current needs better it's not really a priority at the moment.

Keep the good ideas coming though, maybe somebody else will get inspired.

Lukas
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #336
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt rider X
Lukas I share your and everyone elses disappointment that it wouldn't work.
I understand your preference for a multicylinder but did you consider the 650 Rotax engine?
Its pretty civilised vibration wise, not a bad performer and has a good rep as far as reliability.
I have been thinking lately about an Xcountry. The country version because of the comfy(er) seat. I hear the X's get crazy good fuel mileage.
tonymorr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #337
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,884
adding some changes to an xchallenge currently. lucas, i see you supplied the KTM front end for your buddy's mod on the XC. i do have an ohlins shock mounted to get rid of the air shock, but i don't think i'm fast enough anymore to outrun the stock XC front. prepping for a big run west.

the BMW guys might as well have made the seat out of concrete on the XC.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:05 AM   #338
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Funny that you two are now looking into the X-bikes - you were the pioneers in modding the Kawa twins!

Yeah, fuel mileage for the Rotax is generally very good with 60mpg+. It goes down quite a bit at high speeds though, Colebatch told me that his was drinking more or the same as the BMW 800 twins then. Shouldn't be an issue for you folks in North America since you don't have an Autobahn!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #339
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Funny that you two are now looking into the X-
don't know about tony, but my XC is sitting in the shop while i contemplate how to set up some soft luggage for it...and a few other changes.

the XC was never a real popular bike in the States and can be found at a reasonable price used. i was fortunate in that the PO had already addressed some issues on the stock bike and changed out the shock, wheels, and exhaust, otherwise i might have gone a different direction. it's going to be set up to go some places where a rat ninja just won't travel. plus, i wanted fuel injection and there just aren't many with the service intervals of the rotax engined bmw. my fall/winter project.

my rat ninja is still on the road and is being final prepped for a another run north across the border. 19" front now on the bike, i wish all mods were that easy. the bike is great on that kind of trip. very fun, nimble, fast.

lucas, did you build a different bike, or are you riding what was already in the stable? i lost track, or wasn't watching the right place.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #340
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
don't know about tony, but my XC is sitting in the shop while i contemplate how to set up some soft luggage for it...and a few other changes.

the XC was never a real popular bike in the States and can be found at a reasonable price used. i was fortunate in that the PO had already addressed some issues on the stock bike and changed out the shock, wheels, and exhaust, otherwise i might have gone a different direction. it's going to be set up to go some places where a rat ninja just won't travel. plus, i wanted fuel injection and there just aren't many with the service intervals of the rotax engined bmw. my fall/winter project.

my rat ninja is still on the road and is being final prepped for a another run north across the border. 19" front now on the bike, i wish all mods were that easy. the bike is great on that kind of trip. very fun, nimble, fast.

lucas, did you build a different bike, or are you riding what was already in the stable? i lost track, or wasn't watching the right place.

Wow, that one is a peach and it's mint! Didn't know that you had bought it already. From here I see Excel wheels, Öhlins shock, Leo Vince exhaust,.... Cool ride!

These days I actually do my 3 minute commute on a 125cc scooter (what can I say, with a business suit on it's just the most practical... ), use the DR for around town, gravel etc, the R6 for track days and my cousin's 520 EXC for offroad (he is in Russia for a semester).

Project wise the 525 EXC is currently getting converted to full SMR (supermoto) spec, so basically everything but the frame and swingarm is changed (all bolt-on stuff so nothing complicated). The BMW F650 twin is getting a full KTM/WP front end, repainted F800 body work, F800 rear shock and tubed wheels. Then finally I'll use a few parts from the EXC to build it into a big bore stroker 576, with a 2008 505 SX-F frame, and rally tanks/fairing I got from a Dakar finisher.

Or - much more likely - I will run out of money and time and just keep rocking the 125cc scooter.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #341
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:

Project wise the 525 EXC is currently getting converted to full SMR (supermoto) spec, so basically everything but the frame and swingarm is changed (all bolt-on stuff so nothing complicated). The BMW F650 twin is getting a full KTM/WP front end, repainted F800 body work, F800 rear shock and tubed wheels. Then finally I'll use a few parts from the EXC to build it into a big bore stroker 576, with a 2008 505 SX-F frame, and rally tanks/fairing I got from a Dakar finisher.
this is where the ADV motto comes into play..."no photo, never happened"

where are you putting up your builds these days?

Woody super lace on the Excels, beats the play-dough Behrs.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #342
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am a bit torn on starting any new real time build threads, the sad ending (long break?) of this one was disappointing enough! Shame really as it was such a great idea - and it wasn't even mine!

Of course I really miss all the helpful feedback, suggestions and solutions to problems that other experienced members can provide. On the SMR conversion I did lots of research so I pretty much knew what I wanted to do. I am still documenting everything with lots of pictures and will be doing a post-hoc post.

Here is a sneak preview of some of the stuff that's going on there:

I think once this one is done and I have reestablished some confidence in my finishing ability I'll do a proper post for the rally bike build again.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #343
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

you're more organized than i am. i never seem to know exactly what parts i need until i reach for them...that's when they come up missing.

nice to be able to just bolt stuff together. that said, i see some fabrication required to get the XC set up the way i want it. at least colebatch has sorted some things out, so i don't have to think too hard. might be a strain.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #344
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

For all you guys who are interested in a mid-sized twin cylinder adventure bike, you should definitely check out the following thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640772

Scott did a great job swapping the 650 engine into a KLR. It certainly got me motivated to get going again on the Katamaki. Just have to build that little rally bike first....

Old 12-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #345
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,470
Lukas,
My '08 KLR, '08 Versys engine and the assorted parts arrived yesterday (12/6) at my builder's place. We are very excited to get started on it. Can't wait to see it come together this Winter. A build thread will start in a few weeks. We have a few new ideas that should be interesting. I hate that I'm not there but he knows what he's doing and I have all the confidence in what he'll come up with.

Your build started it all for me. When I saw this thread I thought, wow, I bet that engine would fit into a stock KLR frame. We'll find out shortly whether or not it will, and then go forward from there.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote