User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #346
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Very cool to hear that Sam!

I am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. I already learned a lot from Repsolriders build so I am sure it will be the same with yours.

Is your builder going to send you pictures regularly? Your buddies here on ADV would surely appreciate if you share them with us.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #347
Pulasky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
If I would make this project I would make use engine and the frame er6. All the rest bits like suspention, subframe, tank, seet maybe swingarm with a dumper I would take from KTM. Sanjoh bike looks ok but I would start this project from base like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pulasky screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 12:58 PM
Pulasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #348
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulasky View Post
If I would make this project I would make use engine and the frame er6. All the rest bits like suspention, subframe, tank, seet maybe swingarm with a dumper I would take from KTM. Sanjoh bike looks ok but I would start this project from base like this.
Much easier to do on the computer than in the real world.
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #349
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,551
That was my thought also, makes it easier dealing with DMV in those states that are pesky that way.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #350
Pulasky
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Much easier to do on the computer than in the real world.
Yep but it's not my point. My way seems to be easyer then cuting, welding new frame and trying to fit engine. There is a stock base, made by factory so its solid and fit properly, angine and frame most important parts are done. I know that this kind of ptoject is not easy to build, but if we have got the base it will make all project much easier.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pulasky screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 04:32 PM
Old 12-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #351
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221

that view makes the wheelbase look really short....wheelie fiend

The whole gas tank/airbox problem is complicated in that sort of setup
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #352
Pulasky
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post

that view makes the wheelbase look really short....wheelie fiend

The whole gas tank/airbox problem is complicated in that sort of setup
Wheelbase is to short indeed, so maybe worth to fit much longer swingarm from Africa Twin, gas tank will be dificult to fit so need to designe and make especialy for ths project. It maight be situated under the seet or on both sides as on KTM LC 8...matter of invention of builder.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:57 AM   #353
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Posted by: LukasM
Very cool to hear that Sam!

I am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. I already learned a lot from Repsolriders build so I am sure it will be the same with yours.

Is your builder going to send you pictures regularly? Your buddies here on ADV would surely appreciate if you share them with us.
Lukas,
Honestly, we have a few novel ideas about this conversion. My builder wants to make one for himself as well, so success is paramount. We have talked about this quite a bit and have certain ideas about what we both want. The basics of it all, is that we'd like to have a simple conversion. Something so simple, that others may also want to build a KLRE650 for themselves. I don't want to give too much away at this point. The build thread will explain everything, as we go. We need to get further along before the thread happens and I need to get more parts to him.

He will take pictures and share everything with me, as we go forward. My job is to be the spokesman for the project and post pictures and updates in the thread. I don't expect him to have to be bothered with doing all that plus build a bike. He will post his thoughts and explain everything that he does and why it was done that way.

I think everyone is going to like what we (he) come(s) up with. I do have some input into the project. It's my bike afterall. I can't wait to see it in the finished form!

repsolrider's bike turned out great. He has me thinking about upgrading a few parts. I still have Brembo brakes from my KTM 950 but sadly sold the suspension to buy the Versys engine. We may try using the Brembo calipers and new WP forks may be the best choice. My front 270mm Galfer rotor is probably going to be overwhelmed with the added power of the KLE engine, so the forks and brakes will need upgraded. The KX450F forks and brakes will probably find a home on my Diesel KLR project bike. After the KLRE build, we'll be going fullbore on that one next.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #354
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,944
It seems like the biggest hurdle when using the ER650 engine is the intake setup. I didn't see how repsolrider solved that problem in his build pix. Obviously he did some how.

Personally, I will keep riding my KLR until Husky gets smart and builds a factory TE630 based adventure bike with a proper large capacity fuel tank. I do think that is the answer to many of "our" desires for a great adventure bike.

I think if I were to go polycylinder I'd just opt for the Tiger 800XC
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #355
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Pulasky,

Go on then, show us how it's done.

The Versys/Ninja frame is made for the street, and getting it to handle like an off road bike will require significant fiddling with suspension and geometry. Reconfiguring shock mounts and steering necks is just as hard (if not harder) than fabbing up some engine mounts. Ground clearance and suspension travel will also be a problem unless you raise the bike significantly.

Sam,

Start your build thready already, will ya?

danketchpel,

The intakes or rather the throttle bodies are definitely a big issue, at least on my frame. The only way without replacing the entire rear tubing would be converting to a single TB with a 1-into-2 intake duct. I am researching that right now, and would try to keep the stock EFI otherwise. Of course there are issues with sensors, different air flow/fueling needs etc.

Repsolrider used K&N style pod filters on the KLRE, but for an off road bike I would want a proper airbox with a large foam element filter.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #356
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
I'll be glad when you pioneers get this ironed out

then I can follow up as a sheeple, just tryin to fit in

I have the same issue with the air box, for off road I believe it to be needed. So until you all are finished I'm
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #357
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
The solution is much simpler than you would imagine.

I can't take it anymore. I must remove myself from all further discussions of this until I start a build thread. My partner in this is going to be very putoff with me.

Adios!

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #358
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
The solution is much simpler than you would imagine.

I can't take it anymore. I must remove myself from all further discussions of this until I start a build thread. My partner in this is going to be very putoff with me.

Adios!

SamM
Get the torch out and get after it then.

Too much mental masturbation will make ya limp.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #359
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Great ideas in a great thread. I have one point to make. While at your conversions and if you plan to put 21/18 wheels and quality suspension on the er6/versys platform, don't over-complicate your lives and projects by thinking you need massive suspension travel and ground clearance. A properly setup 20cm of suspension travel is all you need. Really. I monitor my 950SE suspension and I have never used more than 18cm of the available 25cm. Unless you plan to be jumping high with the bike, that is. Plus, the 5+cm of height you would thus loose, will enable you to go places you wouldn't otherwise. Skyscraper tall beasts look cool but they are not very practical for the 99% of the situations common mortals will find themselves into.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #360
Pulasky
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Pulasky,

Go on then, show us how it's done.

The Versys/Ninja frame is made for the street, and getting it to handle like an off road bike will require significant fiddling with suspension and geometry. Reconfiguring shock mounts and steering necks is just as hard (if not harder) than fabbing up some engine mounts. Ground clearance and suspension travel will also be a problem unless you raise the bike significantly.

This is not er but sv 650, made for the street as er 6. So it can be done and work fine. Frame, swingarm, engine are stock. Suspention, subframe, , wheels taken from dirt bikes, gas tank it,s a custom job for this bike. As U can see on Sanjoh bike for example ground clearance is not an issue at er6 if U fit proper suspention, and replace mufler on a side of the bike. Any way its Your project, so... good luck.