Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #76
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
Not sure what you are refering to dwayne? My current KLR project has many KLR parts. It uses the '08 KLR frame, engine, swingarm, rear wheel, electrics, bodywork, etc... I changed the fuel tank, headlight (no fairing), gauges and forks on that one.

The 950 based bike that I decribed above and would like to build next won't have any KLR parts. I'd like to use a dirtbike style frame (maybe from an LC4) and the Versys engine in that one and bolt the 950 forks, swingarm and brakes to it. Sort of a cross between and BMW 800 and a KTM 950 but with the parallel-twin Kawasaki engine. Hope that explains it.

SamM
Ahhh 2 bikes! I knew I was missing something!

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #77
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
With the polyetheylene(sp?) tanks (i.e the hardparts tank not the normal painted one). People fill with hot water and pressurise to expand the tanks for increased volume.

So I reckon with the hardparts tank and some careful application of heat you should be right for some gentle persuasion aorund the engine.
Good to know that Steve! I can get the hard parts tank from a friend, in fact that's what I used for the above picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
I know it's a sidestep, but the other day I read here on Advrider about some guy who shoehorned a DR650SE engine into a DR350 frame.

Looks like the typical LukasM project!
I think you must be confusing me. I'm not some hack, I always leave my bikes stock!

Got a link?

Quote:
LukasM,
Very nice! I'm looking to do a similar project, after I finish my KLR USD fork conversion/rebuild. The bike will use the USD forks, swingarm, rear PDS shock and Brembo brakes from a 950. We'll probably do a custom frame with the 950 steering head and clamps. I already have all that stuff boxed up and waiting. The ER-6/Ninja/Versys engine looks like the hot ticket. Are you going to start a separate build thread? If so, please post a link.

SamM

Well Sam, in that case maybe I should focus on finishing some other projects first and let you pave the way!

But I agree, the Versys engine does look like the best option currently. There is also a low mile 800GS engine for sale for about $1800 locally, but from what I have read BMW doesn't have all the bugs ironed out yet. And finding the additional stuff like gauges, wiring etc second hand is going to be pretty much impossible. New is mucho $$$....

Should the project be a go I will definitely start a build thread. Already have a cool name for the monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet
1. have somebody verify that the crash impact didn't damage the engine mounting points on that wreck before you buy it, cracks would suck.

2. where are the pics of your cobra???

3. this ad is near me, fwiw:
Suzuki SV650 Engine (Winchester, VA)
1. Good point. The insurance and an independent dealer did an assessment and the engine is supposed to be ok. Fingers crossed!

2. Shame on me. I haven't touched that poor thing in almost two years, hopefully that will change once we fully move into the new garage (it is currently stored in my parents house in the countryside 2 hours from Vienna). It's a kit from Factory Five Racing. I don't have any pics here but this is basically what it looks like right now:

3. V-Strom 650 is cool, but would be a pain in the ass to make work in the LC4 frame. I still have a glimmer of hope that the Ninja engine will actually fit wihtout any frame mods. Fingers crossed even more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Fantastic project, can't wait to see the finished version!
Yeah, me neither!

But man, I haven't even started yet. At the moment this is just another stupid ideas I am kicking around, maybe I will smarten up before I take that perfectly working LC4-Adv apart!

But maybe not. I should now more about the donor bike tomorrow, will update when there is any news.

Cheers all!
Lukas
Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #78
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Not sure what you are refering to dwayne? My current KLR project has many KLR parts. It uses the '08 KLR frame, engine, swingarm, rear wheel, electrics, bodywork, etc... I changed the fuel tank, headlight (no fairing), gauges and forks on that one.

The 950 based bike that I decribed above and would like to build next won't have any KLR parts. I'd like to use a dirtbike style frame (maybe from an LC4) and the Versys engine in that one and bolt the 950 forks, swingarm and brakes to it. Sort of a cross between and BMW 800 and a KTM 950 but with the parallel-twin Kawasaki engine. Hope that explains it.

SamM
Sam,

04 and on 640 adventure uses 950 suspension and brakes, probably better off going the same route as Lukas but with a later bike.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #79
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Posted by: LukasM
Well Sam, in that case maybe I should focus on finishing some other projects first and let you pave the way!

But I agree, the Versys engine does look like the best option currently. There is also a low mile 800GS engine for sale for about $1800 locally, but from what I have read BMW doesn't have all the bugs ironed out yet. And finding the additional stuff like gauges, wiring etc second hand is going to be pretty much impossible. New is mucho $$$....

Should the project be a go I will definitely start a build thread. Already have a cool name for the monster.
LukasM,
No, NO! I'm content to just watch. I'm broke and have too much going on! Still need a few things for the KLR.

Wow! Your car is much further along than mine. My garage isn't even finished yet, so it's going to be awhile before I finish the car. I'm also building my own new house. The car will actually get moved up there when it's a roller. Too many projects to start anything else. The parallel-twin Adventure bike will have to wait. Besides, you might teach me something!

Here's a picture of my car. It's a 1964 Lotus Seven replica. My donor car is a 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with the turbocharged 2.3L Lima engine. It will have 2007 Mustang LX wheels and Dunlop Direzza Sport R1 Star Spec tires. I have most of the parts on hand already and I'm mocking up the front suspension right now. I try to do a little something every week on it. The front suspension brackets are out for fabrication. As soon as I have them the front suspension and Mustang II spindles will be bolted on. It's a streetcar. Nothing exotic or for racing. The Lotus will have a soft top and a even a fullsized spare out back.

SamM

Doesn't look like much yet!
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #80
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
The cool name wouldn't be ADVersys would it?

Chad M screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 09:36 AM
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #81
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
US Doner Bike

Reply to: sale-yhbcr-1137030607@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-04-23, 5:57PM CDT

great project bike!! a car pulled out in front of me and i had no choice but to lay my bike down. the major thing wrong is the front forks are broken. the frame and motor are in great condition. i have a clean title and bike has aproximately 15,000 miles on it. i am asking only 2,000 or best offer, first one with best offer and cash in hand, call it yours! text me or leave a voicemail at 615-517-8450.
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #82
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey all,

For what it's worth, I just transferred the money to the seller of the above mentioned ER-6N. It will get picked up in a week or two, but I probably won't be here when it arrives. I have never bought a vehicle sight unseen, so let's hope it works out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...lu92/Er-6N.jpg

Quote:
LukasM,
No, NO! I'm content to just watch. I'm broke and have too much going on! Still need a few things for the KLR.

Wow! Your car is much further along than mine. My garage isn't even finished yet, so it's going to be awhile before I finish the car. I'm also building my own new house. The car will actually get moved up there when it's a roller. Too many projects to start anything else. The parallel-twin Adventure bike will have to wait. Besides, you might teach me something!

Here's a picture of my car. It's a 1964 Lotus Seven replica. My donor car is a 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with the turbocharged 2.3L Lima engine. It will have 2007 Mustang LX wheels and Dunlop Direzza Sport R1 Star Spec tires. I have most of the parts on hand already and I'm mocking up the front suspension right now. I try to do a little something every week on it. The front suspension brackets are out for fabrication. As soon as I have them the front suspension and Mustang II spindles will be bolted on. It's a streetcar. Nothing exotic or for racing. The Lotus will have a soft top and a even a fullsized spare out back.

SamM

Doesn't look like much yet!
Sam,

This is getting freakier every time! Are you my lost twin brother or something?

The chassis looks great, did you weld it yourself? Reading Ron Champion's Locost book is pretty much what started my mechanical interest (although I didn't build one). About 5 years ago I had never even turned a wrench, now I am the worst kind of tool-a-holic and gearhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad M
The cool name wouldn't be ADVersys would it?
No, but I like that a lot! I PM'ed you my super secret code name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiv
Reply to: sale-yhbcr-1137030607@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-04-23, 5:57PM CDT

great project bike!! a car pulled out in front of me and i had no choice but to lay my bike down. the major thing wrong is the front forks are broken. the frame and motor are in great condition. i have a clean title and bike has aproximately 15,000 miles on it. i am asking only 2,000 or best offer, first one with best offer and cash in hand, call it yours! text me or leave a voicemail at 615-517-8450.

So you gonna get that Alpiv?

Mine has similar miles and damage. First owner and dealer maintained, but I am paying quite a bit less. Already have a few requests for parts on the forum where I found the bike.

With a bit of luck I'll break even after selling what I don't need.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #83
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM

So you gonna get that Alpiv?

Mine has similar miles and damage. First owner and dealer maintained, but I am paying quite a bit less. Already have a few requests for parts on the forum where I found the bike.

With a bit of luck I'll break even after selling what I don't need.
Not sure, it is a bit too high.
My 640 motor is till running strong, yet road work is like riding a paint shaker...

Would love a smoother motor..
I'm keeping an eye on what you're doing to see how it turns out before I pull the trigger.. (Call me chicken shit, yet I don't have a machine shop).
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #84
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
dr650

Might be too late, but I would look at your dr650 for a donor motor. Simply put you can test fit the motor you already have. On top of that parts interchangeability would be nice (same oil filter, etc). The dr650 is stone reliable with oil cooling.
I would love a 640 adventure with the reliability of a DR650... It would be a perfect bike in my opinion (if such a thing exists)

I did not read this entire thread, so if someone already mentioned this option, ignore this post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #85
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,585
oh hell no, i want to see a 650 twin in that bisnatch!

he's already done a dr, looking for something different.

650 ninja! 650 ninja!
Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #86
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,864
It sounds like you've decided on a direction for the motor, but I had a thought before I read through all your criteria that could be fun for someone else. KTM 550 2-stroke!
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #87
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiv
Not sure, it is a bit too high.
My 640 motor is till running strong, yet road work is like riding a paint shaker...

Would love a smoother motor..
I'm keeping an eye on what you're doing to see how it turns out before I pull the trigger.. (Call me chicken shit, yet I don't have a machine shop).
Yeah, I think you can do better, too. Since these engines appear to break very rarely, there is almost no demand for them on Ebay. There was one without a single scratch on it, 53 miles, starting price $700, and it didn't sell. Another one with 5k sold for $150. If I was in the States I'd try to buy the stuff separately. If you wait for auctions with $1 starting price I bet you would be able to get everything for $400 or so, less if you can go pick it up yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
Might be too late, but I would look at your dr650 for a donor motor. Simply put you can test fit the motor you already have. On top of that parts interchangeability would be nice (same oil filter, etc). The dr650 is stone reliable with oil cooling.
I would love a 640 adventure with the reliability of a DR650... It would be a perfect bike in my opinion (if such a thing exists)

I did not read this entire thread, so if someone already mentioned this option, ignore this post
I agree that something like a KTM with a DR engine would be an awesome package. That was my reasoning when I modded my DR, changing pretty much everything except the frame and engine (although it has FCR carb, full exhaust, stronger clutch, etc). I have a few things to finish up, but IMHO it will do pretty much everything equally well and some things better than a LC4-Adv. Of course you could get more power out of the KTM, but that would come at the expense of fuel consumption and reliability.

As smooth as the DR engine is though, the twin will do much better on (dirt) roads. Hopefully with a very small decrease in off road ability due to additional weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
oh hell no, i want to see a 650 twin in that bisnatch!

he's already done a dr, looking for something different.

650 ninja! 650 ninja!
Well if it will entertain my buddies on ADV, 650 ninja it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick
It sounds like you've decided on a direction for the motor, but I had a thought before I read through all your criteria that could be fun for someone else. KTM 550 2-stroke!
Swap that engine in a modern EXC-R frame with a big tank, and I'm in!
Or would you go Adventure touring on a 300lb 2 smoke (albeit insane power)?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #88
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
i like your style...

must be some transatlantic synergy going on, but as the XT project from hell winds down i've been eyeballing the next time and money hole. initially i had been thinking of proper-dirting an sv650, but then ran into way too many considerations about cylinder and oil cooler and skidplate placement to be happy. so then i started looking at

kawasaki 650s. and before i knew it, i was contemplating

what frames they'd fit on for rolling chassis.

go for it! i'll be watching this one closely. a 640 roller makes way more sense than the old twin shock husky 500 frames i've been contemplating. but you seem more sensible than me that way anyhow. the kawasaki engine seems nicely compact. only concern i can see through my internet superpowers is countershaft sprocket to swingarm pivot distance, since the kawasaki motor doesn't seem to have a swingarm mount going through the back of it. but the ktm chassis looks like it'll have loads of room. way more than the usual suspects i have in mind (aside from the old husky roller, been eyeballing the scads of cr and yz frames around here...)

yeah! this ought to be cool!
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #89
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
except the 640 is just as reliable as a DR...
Old 05-15-2009, 03:30 AM   #90
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,474
Use the same engine these guys did.