Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #121
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
Yep, each of you stated what I was seeing looking at my 640 Adv the other evening...

that is why I went looking at the parts off the 690 rear end.
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #122
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,615
We're waiting!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #123
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
We're waiting!
I'm afraid you'll be waiting for quite a while longer. This is going to be a long-term project since I am rarely in Vienna and have a few other things going on there that should be finished first. I'll work on it occasionally though, as I did this weekend.

When they first met:

A bit later:

With the mess I made somewhat cleaned up.

Notice my mothers bathroom scale on the lower left. The LC4 came in at a decent 40.1 kgs. Going to send it to the buyer tomorrow. His old one died on him, he had it rebuilt for €1000, and 3000kms later it died again. He said he'll buy the KTM with a 650 twin for €10,000 if I ever get it done....

Now that I have seen the ER-6N up close it looks a lot better than I expected. Could be fixed up very easily with some new forks and a bit of bodywork. At least that's what my buddy the mechanic said. He thinks I'd be much better off doing that rather than the engine conversion. Being rational can be so boring!

As far as the right side brake conversion, I mentioned a few solutions earlier. Still think it would be much easier to just weld on a carrier locating pin rather than swapping the whole swing arm. Different shock and linkage mounts bring a whole bunch of problems with them that I would rather avoid.

Eventually I'll take apart our EXC to get some measurements but I am pretty sure it's carrier has the same thickness as the LC4 one. If it does, I could just swap the wheel around and even re-use my wheel spacers. KISS....
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #124
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Wicked Air Cooled "Big Bore" DR800 Engine

Hi Lukas,

Just read this from front to back, some intresting ideas out there, loved the sound of that a Aprilia on the rev limit

So are you going to fix that bike up then & sell it ? i was thinking what i would put in that frame & id go with a DR800 lump.

Theres a guy racing in the UK Supermono`s with one & thats putting out 79HP have a look here

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #125
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

There's a motor for sale in PDX, OR C-list from a 650 Ninja right now, if anyone around here wants a go

not mine, just passing it along
Old 06-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #126
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
There's a motor for sale in PDX, OR C-list from a 650 Ninja right now, if anyone around here wants a go

not mine, just passing it along

a little link goes a long way...we're not mind readers...
Old 06-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #127
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
This is a cool project.. Maybe someday when my Adventure dies I'll do the same thing (I guess everyone says that huh ) I think if I were going to chose an engine though I'd have to go with an ATK 700 2 stroke for it.. that should be somewhere in the 100hp range and the output shaft on the engine is already on the correct side Plus I love the smell of 2 strokes in the morning Reminds me of racing when I was a kid.. Of course it wouldn't be much good for traveling, but man would it be fun
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #128
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx
a little link goes a long way...we're not mind readers...
well, you go to craigslist for portland oregon
then search "ninja engine"

not posting a link because i think it's frowned upon, AND
ads only last 7 days, so in a few days it'll be gone anyways
Old 06-13-2009, 02:38 AM   #129
SquareWire
The Black Fulcrum

Oddometer: 4
pictures

I am going to post some pictures and I'm really sorry for the delay, but I'm quiet busy in these days. I'm gonna come up with the whole story within a week I promise and also I have a new video.

see ya all later

SquareWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #130
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Awesome, can't wait to read it!
Old 06-14-2009, 01:24 AM   #131
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,989
fantastic Lukas !!!, cant wait to see how it goes, a 640 ADV with a lovely twin engine is just about my dream bike
Old 06-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #132
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareWire
I am going to post some pictures and I'm really sorry for the delay, but I'm quiet busy in these days. I'm gonna come up with the whole story within a week I promise and also I have a new video.

see ya all later
Wow SquareWire, Great build! An Aprilia I would buy

Love the build Lucas!

I looked at fitting an XS650 engine I have into the LC4 frame, unfortuately it wouldn't go with out MAJOR frame mods.

I have this XS650 engine and have a 270 degree crank pin, just picked up a pair of 36mm PHM Dellorto's for it. Just looking for a home / body for it inhabit

I have subscribed and will watch this with interest

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #133
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Going to send it to the buyer tomorrow. His old one died on him, he had it rebuilt for €1000, and 3000kms later it died again. He said he'll buy the KTM with a 650 twin for €10,000 if I ever get it done....
Have that writen and signed, with blood! (his own, ok?)

We'll wait patiently for the outcome of this project!

Raid de L'Amitiι 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:10 AM   #134
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,152
Actually Lukas I think you should take your time...

Because as soon as the engine gets mounted in the frame it will cease to be a thumper and the thread will be moved over to beasts.

I rarely check beasts and there for I will miss the end of the build...

It will be just like that time a hooker told me my time was up just before I finished... only worse

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).

tHEtREV screwed with this post 06-15-2009 at 04:32 AM
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #135
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo
Hi Lukas,

Just read this from front to back, some intresting ideas out there, loved the sound of that a Aprilia on the rev limit

So are you going to fix that bike up then & sell it ? i was thinking what i would put in that frame & id go with a DR800 lump.

Theres a guy racing in the UK Supermono`s with one & thats putting out 79HP have a look here

Mezo.
No plans on selling if I ever get the engine in there. However I have been reading a bit more about the Super Enduro and have started wondering how much sense this project makes......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareWire

see ya all later
Thanks for the pictures David. I can now see that you custom made the front tubes for the engine mount, that's why it looks so factory! The low ground clearance worries me a bit, though. Fine on a supermoto bike but for riding off road having the oil pan sticking out is not ideal...

Do you still have that foam engine dummy I see in the back? I could really use that!

(and regarding your pictures, try to size them about 1024 or 800 picels in width for easier viewing. Let me know if you need help with this, very fast and easy to do)

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs
Wow SquareWire, Great build! An Aprilia I would buy

Love the build Lucas!

I looked at fitting an XS650 engine I have into the LC4 frame, unfortuately it wouldn't go with out MAJOR frame mods.

I have this XS650 engine and have a 270 degree crank pin, just picked up a pair of 36mm PHM Dellorto's for it. Just looking for a home / body for it inhabit

I have subscribed and will watch this with interest
Yeah, I am afraid most engines will require frame mods. Now that I have the LC4 out and done some rough measurements it looks like the lower frame tube will have to go. I was kind of expecting it but still... At least with the XS you could loose the radiators! Will have to get some pro's involved to bend the tubing, weld it, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos
Have that writen and signed, with blood! (his own, ok?)

We'll wait patiently for the outcome of this project!
Let's wait to see how much I will have invested in this in the end, once the engine is in the frame it's bling time $$$$!!! But to be honest I would rather have my LC4 hold up well for him. He did hear it run but you never know with these things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV
Actually Lucas I think you should take your time...

Because as soon as the engine gets mounted in the frame it will cease to be a thumper and the thread will be moved over to beasts.

I rarely check beasts and there for I will miss the end of the build...

It will be just like that time a hooker told me my time was up just before I finished... only worse
Yeah, that sucks, Thumpers is my home! If it were a V-Twin I could at least sneak into Orange Crush, but Beasts, come on!

We'll have to get Gadget Boy involved so he will want to keep it in his playground. Any ideas?
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote