Oddometer: 0
Thanks for all the info.
gregf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #77
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Removing the sprocket

How long does it take you to change the sprocket? How hard is it to get it off, and what tool do you use?
Aanarchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #78
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec
How long does it take you to change the sprocket? How hard is it to get it off, and what tool do you use?
I think it takes me about 15-20 minutes including adjusting the chain. The first time it took a little longer because the sprocket didn't want to come off. Now it's an easy job. You need a T25 to remove the cover and, I think, a 17mm socket to remove the sprocket bolt. Plus the tools to adjust the chain.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #79
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,885
Just gone 15t front sprocket and 45t rear and I'm loving it so far. Much better low speed control/response and still plenty of poke if you need it. I guess a days cruising at high speed will be the cost in terms of fuel consumption but on first impression, I can't believe that I didn't do this sooner.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #80
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Just gone 15t front sprocket and 45t rear and I'm loving it so far. Much better low speed control/response and still plenty of poke if you need it. I guess a days cruising at high speed will be the cost in terms of fuel consumption but on first impression, I can't believe that I didn't do this sooner.
which 45T did you go with?

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #81
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
which 45T did you go with?
Blurb said:

"SUPERSPROX TRI-METAL SPROCKET

Part number – 6 - 45 (This fits standard 525 pitch, with 45 teeth)

To Fit:

BMW F800GS 08 > 09

Brand new in the pack Supersprox Tri-Metal Sprocket

These innovative sprockets have an anodised gold alloy centre to give a weight saving over standard with a carbon-steel outer to give the durability and longevity of a steel sprocket.

· Saves weight over standard steel sprockets
· Lasts more than 3 times longer than alloy sprockets - Up to 20,000 miles!
· Stays looking great, as the chain’s running marks stay on the black steel part of the sprocket not the gold alloy part."
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 04-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #82
bumbee800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
How many links did you need on your chain to get the 45t sprocket on? Did it fit with stock length?
bumbee800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #83
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbee800
How many links did you need on your chain to get the 45t sprocket on? Did it fit with stock length?
116 links; same as the OEM chain although I've replaced it with a DID and bear in mind that I've come down a tooth on the front sprocket.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #84
bumbee800
Adventurer

Quote:
116 links; same as the OEM chain although I've replaced it with a DID and bear in mind that I've come down a tooth on the front sprocket.
thanks

What RPMs is the Engine running at in 6th gear at 60mph with you 15/45 combo? Can you cruise comfortably at highway speeds?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #85
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
What is this computer of which you speak of? I threw mine away....

actually, the BMW did me a favor and did not install it on the bike.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #86
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
thanks

What RPMs is the Engine running at in 6th gear at 60mph with you 15/45 combo? Can you cruise comfortably at highway speeds?
Just off on a jaunt to France so will let you know later having given it a good run.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #87
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
thanks

With me (210lbs), tank bag and Zega panniers loaded for a week away, 4250 rpm at 60 mph. Very comfortable.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #88
bumbee800
Adventurer

Quote:
With me (210lbs), tank bag and Zega panniers loaded for a week away, 4250 rpm at 60 mph. Very comfortable.
thanks Wildman, sounds like a good combo.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #89
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
thanks Wildman, sounds like a good combo.
I love it. It's now the bike I wanted. A word of warning; it is affecting fuel consumption (by how much I don't know as I never measured before), the bars and pegs are a little more "zingy" during a long cruise and there is a noticeable lack of "zip" when accelerating in fourth gear. You need to change up quickly. The bike still goes like hell but you've got to make it. For me, I'll trade all of that for the control I now have at low speed. It's a truly phenomenal difference.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #90
Wildman
In my castle

166 miles of riding between 50 and 60 mph (59 miles on national highways; two lane roads with roundabouts and a 90 kph/56 mph speed limit, a short city visit and 107 miles on an autoroute - read Interstate - into a stiff headwind) used 11.85 litres or 3.13 US gallons giving 53 mpg and a 224 mile tank range.

How does that compare to "standard" fuel consumption?