User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
peter_sd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Ohlins Rear Shock on F800GS

Has anyone put a Ohlins rear shock on there bike yet ? I just did the Ohlins front fork springs now looking to do the rear shock.
peter_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
Adamski
n00b

Oddometer: 7
it works very good, but there is no really big different from the stock accept adjustments and the price tag. I'm 100 kg and for the normal road use I had to set to max all adjustments because it was to soft for me.
Adamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
never.ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sd
Has anyone put a Ohlins rear shock on there bike yet ? I just did the Ohlins front fork springs now looking to do the rear shock.
How are you liking the new front springs?
never.ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
peter_sd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproscloset
How are you liking the new front springs?
I like them so far dont get the front end dive when braking like i used to. i am taking it off road tomorrow so i will find out how well they do.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
peter_sd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski
it works very good, but there is no really big different from the stock accept adjustments and the price tag. I'm 100 kg and for the normal road use I had to set to max all adjustments because it was to soft for me.
I am around 250 pounds so the stock rear is to soft so. The shop i am getting the shock from is getting it direct from Ohlins so it should be build to my weight and how i ride.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
I might buy an Ohlins rear shock for the F800GS. Got a line on a great deal that I might not be able to pass up. Ohlins offers the shock in two types. The shocks are both the same, except one is with hydraulic preload adjuster and one is without. After looking at my F800GS, if I buy one, I might decide to save $150 and go with the non-hydraulic preload adjustable model. I don't have ABS, and I don't have the charcoal canister installed either. This leaves a large space around the shock and allows easy access for a preload adjuster tool. Also, I never do and never will ride this bike two up.

I do, however, ride solo with or without luggage packed with gear. I travel light and fast though. I only pack the necessities. So when I'm packed up for a trip we're talking a weight addition of 30-40lbs tops. I could probably set the preload at a setting that would work well for both scenarios.

Thoughts?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I might buy an Ohlins rear shock for the F800GS. Got a line on a great deal that I might not be able to pass up. Ohlins offers the shock in two types. The shocks are both the same, except one is with hydraulic preload adjuster and one is without. After looking at my F800GS, if I buy one, I might decide to save $150 and go with the non-hydraulic preload adjustable model. I don't have ABS, and I don't have the charcoal canister installed either. This leaves a large space around the shock and allows easy access for a preload adjuster tool. Also, I never do and never will ride this bike two up.

I do, however, ride solo with or without luggage packed with gear. I travel light and fast though. I only pack the necessities. So when I'm packed up for a trip we're talking a weight addition of 30-40lbs tops. I could probably set the preload at a setting that would work well for both scenarios.

Thoughts?
Your reasoning is sound. I say go for the cheaper version without the hydraulic preload adjuster. Unless you're adding 100+ lbs, yo won't really need to tweak it anyway if you have the right spring to begin with.
Keep us posted.
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
Your reasoning is sound. I say go for the cheaper version without the hydraulic preload adjuster. Unless you're adding 100+ lbs, yo won't really need to tweak it anyway if you have the right spring to begin with.
Keep us posted.
That's my thought too. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Griz how many places can you find to post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622367 You should be yelling "asked and answered noob" or some such.
That other thread is for the Ohlins fork cartridges. I'm asking about the Ohlins rear shock. Thought I'd post in the right place, keep things organized you know.

Instead of starting a new thread that says "Ohlins rear shock F800GS", I thought I'd post in the thread that already exists.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
The Griz
North Forest Rider

So I've searched high and low, and couldn't find any info on what the stock Sachs OEM rear shock design really is on this bike. So, I just put in a call to Racetech, who has been inside the stock Sachs unit. Here is what they have told me:

The stock Sachs unit is an IFP shock. This means Internal Floating Piston, just like the Ohlins BM802:

The fluid is put under gas pressure, and the gas and the fluid are kept apart by a separating piston. In this teeny little pic you can see the red floating piston that separates the blue nitrogen gas and the yellow oil. The green is the damping piston.

This design is the same between both the Ohlins and the stock Sachs units for the F800GS.

So, now I'm having trouble justifying the purchase of the Ohlins shock, being it's design is pretty much the same as the stock Sachs unit.

Someone convince me otherwise!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
That other thread is for the Ohlins fork cartridges. I'm asking about the Ohlins rear shock. Thought I'd post in the right place, keep things organized you know.

Instead of starting a new thread that says "Ohlins rear shock F800GS", I thought I'd post in the thread that already exists.

And I thought I nuked it.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
And I thought I nuked it.
You wouldn't be able to nuke either of the Ohlins threads, since this one was created by "peter_sd", and the other one was created by me.

Any advice on getting an Ohlins for the rear vs sticking with the stock Sachs.

PS as a reminder, I have a Hyperpro progressive spring on the stock Sachs rear shock.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
I can nuke my post on any thread unless somebody quoted it. Doesn't matter you probably owe me 1 or 3.

Don't know nothing about the Ohlins except it is what Johngil had when he bent the bolt. Since he had it on the rear, I assume when he said never again he meant the shock

I have the same set up as you on the rear and reasonably satisfied with it. Very good on pavement but not plush on the big stuff, but I try to stay away from that.

Start improving one end and invariably you have to do the other if you want the bike balanced. Too rich for my blood.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,611
Sounds reasonable Griz. However, I'm going with the hydraulic preload.

David.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Sounds reasonable Griz. However, I'm going with the hydraulic preload.

David.
Thanks David. Hmmm. Hard to decide. Thanks for all the help though. And if anyone else has any insight it would be much appreciated!