Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #91
solohvs
somewhere around the bend

Oddometer: 170
Ohlins Rear Shock

My Ohlins shock photo found a new home.

Ohlins rear shock

Thanks guys - all the info here makes sense to me, but I am disappointed that the shock brace will not fit... yet. I'll put my order in for the stronger top bolt and discard the bottom bolt for a new one. Couple of bucks spent in the right place.

Do I pull the rear wheel and the Mudsling too?

Or would that just make things more complicated?

I have a shop manual, but I haven't done much looking yet.
solohvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #92
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by solohvs View Post
My Ohlins shock photo found a new home.

Thanks guys - all the info here makes sense to me, but I am disappointed that the shock brace will not fit... yet. I'll put my order in for the stronger top bolt and discard the bottom bolt for a new one. Couple of bucks spent in the right place.

Or would that just make things more complicated?

I have a shop manual, but I haven't done much looking yet.
You'll want to check on your bike, I could have installed the Ohlins with the RM brace with no problems. Since I have the Indy kit, I'm going to have to modify my RM brace like JohnGil did. But I did install my Ohlins rear shock today!

You definitely need to remove the mud sling. It will prevent you from removing the shock.

I don't know if you have to remove the rear wheel, mine is currently in another state, but it sure made it easier. I don't recall removing my rear wheel when I pulled the stock shock before.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #93
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
The Ohlins BM-802 with the specific length spring they gave me will not fit in any way shape or form with my RM brace. I am going to order up a grade 12.9 upper bolt and wait for Ohlins to finish their upper support system. I'll just ride "gingerly" until then.

How much do you guys weigh? I have a feeling based upon what Johngil said about his spring that if you weigh 200+ lbs the spring they use is shorter than the spring for the 170-200 lb range. To be brief, if the spring is shorter, the hydraulic preload adjuster will be lower on the shock body which will possibly allow use with the RM brace. For some reason the spring that they put on for the 170-200 lb range is longer, making the hydraulic preload adjuster up higher on the shock body, which in turn makes a serious conflict with the RM brace.

I assure you, I personally cannot use the RM brace with my Ohlins.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #94
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
You definitely do not have to pull the rear wheel.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #95
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Indy Upper shock mount Kits for Ohlins or other aftermarket shocks will be available late March for worldwide shipment

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 09:30 AM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #96
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Indy Upper shock mount Kits for Ohlins or other aftermarket shocks will be available late March for worldwide shipment
I've got the stock shock one already, but I'll be ordering this version to await my Ohlins shock too.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #97
The Griz
North Forest Rider

If Ohlins is not done with their fix I will definitely buy the Indy kit. In fact, I will probably buy the Indy kit anyway since I can install it myself. Ohlins will want to install their fix themselves. Boo.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #98
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
The Ohlins BM-802 with the specific length spring they gave me will not fit in any way shape or form with my RM brace. I am going to order up a grade 12.9 upper bolt and wait for Ohlins to finish their upper support system. I'll just ride "gingerly" until then.

How much do you guys weigh? I have a feeling based upon what Johngil said about his spring that if you weigh 200+ lbs the spring they use is shorter than the spring for the 170-200 lb range. To be brief, if the spring is shorter, the hydraulic preload adjuster will be lower on the shock body which will possibly allow use with the RM brace. For some reason the spring that they put on for the 170-200 lb range is longer, making the hydraulic preload adjuster up higher on the shock body, which in turn makes a serious conflict with the RM brace.

Mine looks just like John Gil's, plenty of room between the shock and the RM brace. I just need to bore out the hole to fit the Indy brace. I do weigh more than 200 lbs.

For now, mine just has the Indy fix.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #99
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:

Isn't Ginger a girl's name?
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #100
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
I rode a Ginger once. Redheads rock. They're all insane but . . .

Oh wait . . .
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #101
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I rode a Ginger once. Redheads rock. They're all insane but . . .

Oh wait . . .
Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #102
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

There's GOLD in that thur bike!!

Turns out the rebound adjuster really adjusts. I had it turned only two clicks out for my test ride. Not good. Now back to 14 and it's PLUSH!!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #103
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:

Mine:

See, your prelaod ajuster assembly is considerably lower on the shock body than mine. Is your preload set to what it came as? Or have you cranked a bunch in?

I can see the retainer pin on your preload adjuster clear as day. Whereas on mine It's not even visible.

After setting my sag there is no way I could use the RM brace. Where the preload is in my pic is where it needs to be for my current weight.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #104
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Mine:

See, your prelaod ajuster assembly is considerably lower on the shock body than mine. Is your preload set to what it came as? Or have you cranked a bunch in?

I can see the retainer pin on your preload adjuster clear as day. Whereas on mine It's not even visible.

After setting my sag there is no way I could use the RM brace. Where the preload is in my pic is where it needs to be for my current weight.
I honestly haven't set my sag yet, I need to find a guide for how to do it. That is currently just how it came.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #105
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
I honestly haven't set my sag yet, I need to find a guide for how to do it. That is currently just how it came.
There's a guide for how to set sag in the manual for the shock.

I find it very interesting that the spring they are providing for the +200lb riders is shorter than the spring for the -200lb riders. If they can alter a spring's stiffness by other methods like wire diameter and composition, why would they need to change the lengths of the springs for different weight riders?

It really bums me out that I can't use the RM brace. Indy fix only for me I guess.