Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #106
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Can someone give me an primer on why the rear shock is an important upgrade? As a guy who came from a 640 Adventure that I bought from a suspension nut job who was the same weight with the same riding style who revalved, resprung and whatnot is it really worth it to spend 3000 bucks on Ohlins all around or should I just buy my 640 back from my buddy for a few bucks more than the O if I wanna ride all crazy like?

A few points:
Does it help with handling or just traction?

Obviously, if my rear tire has bounced off the ground it's not doing to much for holding a line in the corner.

Do I succumb to farkle lust or just learn to deal with what god gave me.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #107
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
There's a guide for how to set sag in the manual for the shock.
Look at you gettin' all logical an' shit. I guess I should maybe actually look in the manual rather than letting protect the floor of my garage from the fluorescent lights.

No idea why my spring is shorter than yours. bxr probably knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdemien View Post
Can someone give me an primer on why the rear shock is an important upgrade? As a guy who came from a 640 Adventure that I bought from a suspension nut job who was the same weight with the same riding style who revalved, resprung and whatnot is it really worth it to spend 3000 bucks on Ohlins all around or should I just buy my 640 back from my buddy for a few bucks more than the O if I wanna ride all crazy like?

A few points:

Obviously, if my rear tire has bounced off the ground it's not doing to much for holding a line in the corner.

Quite frankly, I would do the forks first and just make sure the spring on the rear is strong enough for your weight. Granted, I've only ridden one way to work on mine, and no off-road yet, but I didn't really notice a difference this morning. I have noticed that the Ohlins is much more adjustable, rather that the adjusters really make a difference. I'll have to try it off-road before I reach a conclusion.

If I hadn't bought mine for about 1/2 price, I wouldn't have bought it.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #108
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

One nice thing about the Ohlins is that I can see the yellow spring from my office . . .

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #109
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdemien View Post

A few points:

I personally can tell a HUGE difference between the stock shock and the Ohlins. Even when riding around on paved surfaces. It is night and day for me. Almost to the point where I can't believe I put on 10,000 miles with the stock shock! I mean, even just sitting on the thing and bouncing up and down, you can feel the plushness. The stock shock, even with Hyperpro spring installed on it, was not even in the same league as the Ohlins. Seriously. As I said before, now the only problem is now I can tell how seriously bad the front forks are on this bike, even with the hyperpro springs installed. I am currently saving up and will be sending my forks to Ohlins at some point.

And to answer your question, it helps with handling AND traction. There is a long list of why a better shock is, well, better. A few reasons off of the top of my head include:

-The Ohlins moves more oil therefore plushness and damping speeds are better
-The precision in the build is far superior to stock
-Far more research goes into the design of their shocks for each bike
-They are rebuildable
-They canbe/are sprung and valved for your weight and riding style

All of this adds up to superior quality and plushness.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #110
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
No idea why my spring is shorter than yours. bxr probably knows.
I don't.

There's a few pros and cons to shorter vs longer, but these springs aren't different enough in length to matter. Best guess? Availability. It's what they had on the shelf.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #111
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
I don't.

There's a few pros and cons to shorter vs longer, but these springs aren't different enough in length to matter. Best guess? Availability. It's what they had on the shelf.
It is all Ohlins has in a 1000# spring in that length.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads/springchart.jpg

johngil screwed with this post 03-04-2011 at 06:19 PM
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #112
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Indy Upper shock mount Kits for Ohlins or other aftermarket shocks will be available late March for worldwide shipment
Any updates?

-Miikka
Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #113
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
I got 20 upper shock mount kits ready for worldwide shipping. PM me.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #114
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Indy kit on the way!

I thought this would be a good route to go. Especially since I can't use the Ralle Moto brace anymore.

I'm confident that this will be the be all end all though.

I just hope I don't eff up my Ohlins trying to install it!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #115
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Indy kit on the way!

I thought this would be a good route to go. Especially since I can't use the Ralle Moto brace anymore.

I'm confident that this will be the be all end all though.

I just hope I don't eff up my Ohlins trying to install it!
Just have your RallyeMoto brace drilled out to accept the Indy kit. That's what I'm doing.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #116
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Just have your RallyeMoto brace drilled out to accept the Indy kit. That's what I'm doing.
For some reason the RM brace conflicts with the Ohlins width-wise: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=50

So even if I did drill the RM to accept the Indy Kit, it still wouldn't work.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #117
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
For some reason the RM brace conflicts with the Ohlins width-wise: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=50

So even if I did drill the RM to accept the Indy Kit, it still wouldn't work.
That's right, I forgot you had that clearance issue. Indy's kit is probably enough anyways, it's what I've been running on my shock since I got it.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #118
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Indy Fix installed!

I can't say enough good things about Dan (Indy Unlimited). Made a great product/fix for the horrible BMW design. Very helpful and willing to help out if need be! He chose a very high quality needle bearing for the kit. The 20mm wide, 70mm long hardened steel bushing that the needle bearing rides on should be more than enough to support even the hardest hits I can dish out. To top it off he provided a grade 12.9 bolt and a lock washer as well! Thanks Dan!!

Anywho, I am confident that this is the be all end all to my upper shock bolt blues. I refrained from taking a gazillion pictures of the install, since it is covered thoroughly elsewhere. However, here is a pic if it installed:

Cheers!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #119
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 788
Removing rear shock lower mounting bolt...

Guys,
What combo of tools did you use to get to that rear lower Torx 50 bolt? My torx bit is too long to fit in between the bolt and swingarm. Did you use a shorter Torx bit and then a skinny extension to fit through the hole? Where did you find a 50 that fits on such a skinny extension?

The local Ace, Lowes, Home Depot don't have what I need...I am stuck just looking at this beautiful shock.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #120
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
Guys,
What combo of tools did you use to get to that rear lower Torx 50 bolt? My torx bit is too long to fit in between the bolt and swingarm. Did you use a shorter Torx bit and then a skinny extension to fit through the hole? Where did you find a 50 that fits on such a skinny extension?

The local Ace, Lowes, Home Depot don't have what I need...I am stuck just looking at this beautiful shock.
You have to remove the swingarm guide first. No other way. It removes with two or three T-25 bolts. Easy peasy.