Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #151
dafish
mr dafish

Oddometer: 7
That screen looks good is it noisy? hopefully my pic will show up once vetted....maybe 2 of them the same the pop up about moderators checking pic before posting was too fast the first time oops and does it make it more stable with the rear box? p.s good looking scoots peeps
dafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #152
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Airflow screen is not noisy at 70mph IMHO - but I do wear earplugs out of habit.

hope this helps,

John
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #153
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

Oddometer: 356
Hi, been reading through this thread, I picked up my 2008 bike yesterday, put it on a trailer to get it back home from the dealers.
Took it out for a spin last night and was impressed with everything about the bike, performance, ride and brakes etc.
I had trouble with the topbox, couldn't get it to open or close but have finally worked out how to use the mechanism.
One problem that I do have is with opening the seat up, it opened at the dealers no problem........have tried to open it again, took about 20 attempts before I finally got it open again, closed it back down, then couldn't get it to open again........is there a special technique or does mine need adjusting, I read the book and as far as I can see I am doing it correctly, key in at off position, push the key in and turn to the left and lift the seat, mine has only worked twice doing this.......may be a problem if I need petrol!
any ideas?
ONYERBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #154
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633
Could try just a light push downwards to 'release the catch'?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #155
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

funnily enough, the one time that the seat did open was when i pushed down whilst turning the key......tried it again and again but wouldn't re open.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #156
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

Turns out that the only thing wrong with the seat release mechanism is the person who is trying to open it..........how could I make something so simple so complicated
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #157
KorkyKat
Il est interdit d'interdi

Oddometer: 4
Hi.

I've just updated my SH300 2009 model for the new 2011 version. Here are some of the differences.

As you will have read in the media the most significant changes they have made are to the front and rear suspension and the re-designing of the frame to improve stability at higher speeds. As mine is not yet fully run in I can't say what's it's like over 50mph. The rest of the changes are cosmetic.

Suspension: Much, much firmer. Despite their hype it still bounces along cobbles but it no longer sends the shocks through to your spine with the harshness of the earlier model. For some strange reason the beefed up front end feels heavier or maybe I didn't eat my spinach.

Top fascia: They have changed this and have given it a little silver hat - idea borrowed from the Hornet by the looks of things. The advantage this time is you don't have to remove the mirrors to change the lamp bulb - what idiot thought of that in the first place? I've yet to remove the new one and no doubt will do so with baited breath.

Seat: This is now stitched and is supposed to be leather - what kind I know not. It feels firmer and I guess a long journey will tell what it is like.

Mobile Box: That's the compartment on the left near the knee. They have changed the fastener. Now all you do is push it in. It's also got some little raised dots where you push it in. Not sure what that's for unless they are anticipating a blind rider using it!

Buttons: They have re-sculpted the horn, indicators, lights and start buttons. They are all much larger than before. The indicator switch has also been moved to the bottom - I think people kept getting mixed up before. If you have smallish hands then it is a bit of a reach and takes some getting used to. They have obviously thought about this because the horn button is wedged shaped thus allowing you to pass your finger over it without pressing it.

Front: They have changed the chrome facia and also parts of the bodywork. The wasted white plastic on the lights have gone and it is now a full unit.

Body Panels: Mainly cosmetic in that they are the same except they have made them into easier to remove separate parts and they are in a two tone colour.

Fascia: They have changed all the instruments around. Unfortunately they missed the opportunity to move the clock higher up the console. Rather they have moved the indicator signs up to the top. For those who sit near to the front of the seat and wear a full faced helmet you will literally have to look down to see what speed you are doing. Back to the drawing board Honda. It would have been easier to have fitted an L.E.D. speedo running along the top. The tiny kmph writing on the U.K. speedo isn't very easy to see so if you venture across to the E.U. you'll need a pair of binoculars or some white tape.

Centre Stand. No change and they should have changed it. It is too close to the engine casing. Anybody wearing rough boots is likely to scratch the engine casing - no doubt that's why Honda ship it with a thick plastic covering before it gets sold to the customer.

Side Stand. When you stop make sure you stop near a fellow human being who will hopefully point to where it is. Alternatively take up ballet dancing so that you can use your toes to its maximum ability. Why, Oh why they couldn't have fitted a locating peg like they do on their bikes I shall never know. I'm going to fit a piece of fluorescent rubber to mine so I can see it in the dark.

Notwithstanding any of the above I still think it is the best scooter in its class. I think it is a beautiful piece of engineering and its speed from a standing start is phenomenal. Likewise cruising on the motorway at 70mph is a delight. It really is remarkable and has sent Piaggio into a long sulk.

Some say it is ugly but as one poster remarked: "I didn't buy a fashion accessory I bought a mode of transport."Kind of sums it up.

Finally. I know nothing about screens because I don't want one. Having rode naked bikes all my life it seems no different to being on a CB900. Anyway, the wind and fresh air keeps one awake!

When it's run in I'll let you know what it's like at top speed. And yes, it is still very frugal with fuel.

Safe Journeys

Old 06-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #158
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 714
Thanks, enjoy your new bike!

Sounds like they are getting ready to make their move state side....
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #159
hacksaw55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
sorry don't care for this scoot no room to move your feet can't sit in one position all day love Honda but give me a good lightweight 300 and you'll sell the shit out of it .80 mpg 80mph we know you can do it,they had car's in the 50's that would do 100mpg with aspirated gas and they were almost 2 tons
hacksaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #160
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw55 View Post
sorry don't care for this scoot no room to move your feet can't sit in one position all day love Honda but give me a good lightweight 300 and you'll sell the shit out of it .80 mpg 80mph we know you can do it,they had car's in the 50's that would do 100mpg with aspirated gas and they were almost 2 tons

I kind of agree with you there. Scoots do get really good gas milage, but you would think they could be capable of even more MPG.

Some of it has to do with gearing. Cars are designed to run at very low RPMs at high speeds, the torque curves on many have peak torque and HP as low as 2,500 RPM. Therefor the car can have a very high true Overdrive ratio, thus the engine spins at a lower RPM than the wheels. Theoretically, lower RPM=Better MPG.

However, Scooters engines spin at very high RPMs. No Scooter I know of has a true Overdrive Ratio. This is because scooter's engines have to have more high end power due to being such a small displacement. If a Scooter had peak power at 2,500 RPM, a 300 cc engine would be putting out very low HP, maybe as low as 10-12 HP at most. Thats why those 400 cc diesel engines are only like 12 HP.

Scooter's engines need to rev to get power. Therefor the gearing is a bit low, they are spinning at over 6,000 RPM to maintain highway speeds. This will give good HP, but its not the best thing for MPG. If you overgeared a Scooter with the regular power curves, then the RPMs may be lower but on the bad side the engine may be working harder and still use more fuel.

If a Scooter had a big enough engine to produce reasonable power down low and have OD, it would be 650+ cc and even at low RPMs use a lot of fuel with it's big engine. And the curves would STILL be in the middle.

But yes I wish they could figure out a way around this. You know if your VERY easy on the throttle all the time and baby it you can get good MPG in the city though. Most riders give their Scoots a little gas off the line or floor them to get going, cause its fun and hard not to. But if you accelerate like a grandma [Not recommending it and I couldn't do it for long] and drive the speed limit, I supposed you could get near 80 MPG or so with a 300.

I've heard klaviator on here gets about 80+ MPG with his Aprilia 250 scooter. And he gets an actual 80+ MPH top speed with it.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #161
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

I use my 2008 model for doing the London Knowledge, it is running for most of the day, comfort is pretty good, the riding position you do actually get used to quite quickly, learning where to put your feet.It is very nimble through heavy inner city traffic then is very stable on the motorway at 80+ mph, since I have been running this bike it has been faultless and like said many times before it returns a steady 80mpg.........takes alot of beating in my book!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #162
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONYERBIKE View Post
I use my 2008 model for doing the London Knowledge, it is running for most of the day, comfort is pretty good, the riding position you do actually get used to quite quickly, learning where to put your feet.It is very nimble through heavy inner city traffic then is very stable on the motorway at 80+ mph, since I have been running this bike it has been faultless and like said many times before it returns a steady 80mpg.........takes alot of beating in my book!
Onyerbike,

Are your preparing for the black cab test? Your SH would be ideal for learning the routes.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #163
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
Onyerbike,

Are your preparing for the black cab test? Your SH would be ideal for learning the routes.
Yes, I was out and riding the routes for about 8 hours solid today.......I do love riding this bike in the city, not at a massive speed, just fast enough to make it exciting shooting through closing gaps
Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #164
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONYERBIKE View Post
Yes, I was out and riding the routes for about 8 hours solid today.......I do love riding this bike in the city, not at a massive speed, just fast enough to make it exciting shooting through closing gaps
That's fantastic you are taking the London Knowledge test - I hear it is really tough and most take it many times before finally passing it. Best of luck to you. Makes for a very professional driver. Over here, you sometimes have to navigate for the driver - that is IF you can communicate in the same language with them! Quite a contrast.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #165
sitbonzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
8000 mile service cost.

I've had my 07 SH for a few months now including a 1500 mile trip round southern Ireland 3 weeks ago. (can post pics if requested) I am so pleased I bought the bike. It's fast enough for my commute of 30 miles on the motorway and just great in town and on the country roads of Surrey that I ride during the day for my job as a local newspaper photographer giving me high 80's fuel consumtion.

Now the bike is nudging it's way past the 8k miles mark I need to get the service done. I am getting a 'chirping' sort of noise when accelerating from a start on load which I assume is the rollers? And a vibration through the seat at 60-70mph. The dealer says it's the non standard seat or the box but how this can be when carrying different loads, strapped down or fully loaded and the same if empty I'm not sure.

Those of you with more knowledge I hope will be able to advise me. What else is it sensible to change at this service? The belt?

Also, if you are from the UK, what did you pay for a service?
Thanks in advance.
David.
sitbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote