User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #166
sitbonzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Oh, and another thing......

Ive been reading this thread with interest. For those of you that suggest I may be having a mangina or look like a dick riding my bike or that 'leg over' bikers look down at me coz I'm riding my 'moped'

Yeah. Whatever.
sitbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #167
sitbonzo
Adventurer

I rode with my buddy Andy on his BMW Adventure. he had to wait for me a little on the motorway stretches but I was crusing at 75mph so over the limit anyhow. My one complaint about the SH for touring is the small tank. I was getting about 100-120 miles per tank which meant each day I would have to fill up and this involved a full unload of paniers and stuff strapped to the seat. Not such a big deal but a pain nonetheless.
The SH was surefooted and comfortable on all but the longest days and loved the hills, winding roads and fast A roads in Ireland.

the route was
Brighton to Fishguard (wales)
Rosslair (ireland) traveling south west through cork spending 4 days going round the (fantastic) coast a little farther north of Galway. Motorway to Dublin then back to Rosslair.
excelent trip very recomended.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #168
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitbonzo View Post
I've had my 07 SH for a few months now including a 1500 mile trip round southern Ireland 3 weeks ago. (can post pics if requested) I am so pleased I bought the bike. It's fast enough for my commute of 30 miles on the motorway and just great in town and on the country roads of Surrey that I ride during the day for my job as a local newspaper photographer giving me high 80's fuel consumtion.

Now the bike is nudging it's way past the 8k miles mark I need to get the service done. I am getting a 'chirping' sort of noise when accelerating from a start on load which I assume is the rollers? And a vibration through the seat at 60-70mph. The dealer says it's the non standard seat or the box but how this can be when carrying different loads, strapped down or fully loaded and the same if empty I'm not sure.

Those of you with more knowledge I hope will be able to advise me. What else is it sensible to change at this service? The belt?

Also, if you are from the UK, what did you pay for a service?
Thanks in advance.
David.
Hi, my bike is on 7500 miles, it is booked in at the local Honda dealers next week, the service costs £150 including parts and vat, a new spark plug is fitted at this service but they didn't recommend that I change the belt, will see next week.
I am sure you already know, but if you are using your scooter alot you can move the service intervals from 2500 miles to 4000 miles, this is what Honda say for the guys who do more than 2000 miles per annum.
Enjoy the bike
ONYERBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #169
sitbonzo
Adventurer

hi ONYERBIKE thanks for your reply. Ive now got mine booked in as well in a few weeks. I didnt know about the 4k service but I will ask at the garage. Great news.

David
Old 08-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #170
KorkyKat
Il est interdit d'interdi

Oddometer: 4
Good posts David. You've given me an idea with the luggage for my trip from Manchester to Southern Italy next year. I didn't know about the service either. 6 months is silly if you're not riding in the winter.

SH300i 2011 - progress report 1500 miles later.

Absolutely love it. The frame and suspension tweeks have cured the jitters at motorway speeds. 85mph no problem and as smooth and as pointed as any large bike.

I note there are two discrete slits in the front knee guards/bodywork. They are nothing to do with the radiator and I wonder if this is something to do with air flow control helping keep the front end down? It certainly feels much firmer compared to the previous model.

At high speed the mirrors are just as perfect at slower speeds.

Oil and filter for first service: £55. I've written to Honda saying they should show fixed rates for servicing.

The seat is also more comfortable although it has taken some time to get used to it.

Anybody got any ideas on where to mount a Sat-Nav? I'm not sure about the 12volt glove compartment. If you have a lead trailing out from it then it will mean leaving it open unless the wire can be routed through the bodywork.

I love getting on it because it is so much fun to ride.

David, what make is your tent?

YouTube Link - White Is The Best Colour!

KorkyKat screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 01:30 PM
KorkyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #171
sitbonzo
Adventurer

The tent was £15 from Tesco and was surprisingly good for the 3 nights. If I had more money, I would have paid a bit more. the tent fitted inside the bag of the expensive self inflating sleeping mat. the cooker sat flat on the seat all secured by a flat bungee. waterproofed courtesy of a bin bag.

http://www.ridersoffshore.com/motrax...ps-p-1455.html

the rack has suffered considerably and is very scratched after this trip.

Dont forget my warning of the agro involved for refueling every time, having to take all that stuff off. I'm sure it is possible to fit some side racks for hard paniers?

I have powered my iphone from the glove box while it is in my pocket. just run the cable through the bottom of the door and it will close ok. Ive also been thinking of mount points. RAM do a mirror base mount i think but it would be nicer to have it in a more easily viewed position. I hate having to take my eyes off the road to check the speedo.

what is your planned trip?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:43 AM   #172
HondaBlue
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Just Curious

Hey All

I just picked up my brand new 2011 Blue Honda SH300i and am loving the bike!, it rides like a dream, i just wanted to know if when you all bought yours, did you get the first 600 mile service included in the price ??...as i was told that "Honda doesn't do this". I was also told that “Honda doesn’t fill up the tank on new bikes” i.e, i just paid £4,500 pounds for a brand new bike and the petrol tank was well into the red and almost empty. I got told to ride it to the nearest garage station and fill it up! this is while it is brand new sitting in the shop!...shocking service by Honda and i have written to them telling them about this. Otherwise the bike is amazing....any tips for running it in though ??...i warm it up every morning for at least 3 or 4 mins before riding off.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Love my new HondaBlue Bike! ...disappointed by the service though.

Cheers
Mike
HondaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #173
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,064
Don't hold that against Honda. The dealer should at least be filling the tank for you. I don't think many dealers throw in the first service for free but, I could be wrong. In any event, it would be coming out of the dealers pocket, not Honda.

Good luck with the new scoot. Wish they sold those over here.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #174
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,410
Looks good. I just bought a Kymco People S250 and it had a full tank of gas when I picked it up. This dealer also sells Hondas.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #175
sitbonzo
Adventurer

personally I think the dealer SUCKS for not filling the tank. Its not going to be more than £10! DOGS!

first service i would expect to pay for.

I was shocked to be asked for £211 for my 8k service! oww.

running in? I have heard that it is unneccesary to run new engines in ( not in any way official) but get on and ride. Maybe not flat out or revving the nuts off it until it is warmed up.

My experience of revving as high as it will go gets you to 85ish then it runs out of power but is not screaming.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #176
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
I would say that dealer is just cheap. The fill-up is ridiculous... the first service would be completely at the discretion of the dealer. Some dealers include the first service in the sales prices or "throw it in" as part to "price" as opposed to lowering the sales price. Some dealers include it in the sales price as an incentive to get you to bring it to them for all the servicing. This way you don't even consider another shop for the first servicing and it becomes your habit.

I have read there are some great scooter shops in London, this doesn't sound like one of them.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #177
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 260
Most dealerships are rubbish. Mine said the bike would come with a full tank of gas. I got the keys, fired it up, and there were only 3/10 "bars" of fuel left -- which equates to less than a 6th of a tank on the scooter I have. I went in, and asked for them to fill it the rest of the way. I got dirty looks, had to wait about 20 minutes, and they spilled gas on the scooter after overfilling the tank. But, I got the last Honda PCX in my state, so beggars can't be choosers (dealers still haven't received any more Honda PCXs in my state due to production issues from the tsunami).
Old 09-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #178
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
Good posts David.

Anybody got any ideas on where to mount a Sat-Nav? I'm not sure about the 12volt glove compartment. If you have a lead trailing out from it then it will mean leaving it open unless the wire can be routed through the bodywork.
1st photo

Here is my Garmin Nuvi 1210 in a RAM mount via a short RAM Arm with a mirror base mount. The lead is draped through the glove-box which is kept closed with a strip of Velcro. A lash up, I know, but OK for 20 miles. I can hear the instructions - with the volume at max - at low-to-medium speeds. All you need is an alert to look at the screen.
For a trip to Italy, I would want it routed through the bodywork. There is no room for the Garmin Power Adaptor to plug straight in, so I made a little 6" extension lead.

I also run electric gloves from that outlet since I don't agree with muffs.

Little thermometer on the dash behind it.

Also Givi Airflow screen - much better than Honda set-up.
Attached Images

John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #179
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
[QUOTE=John Bentall;16869854]2nd Photo

Entertainment: Well I had a spare Autocom Super Pro lying around and hooked a Pure Highway DAB radio up to it + 12 volt supply + Bike-to-Bike radio.You can see the pillion intercom lead next to the radio.

The aerial is mounted on a Givi E470 box with Givi optional painted lid using 3M Dual-lock.

All slightly mad - but I had a lot of fun setting it up!
Attached Images

John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #180
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
I will say that there is next to no carriage space with the SH. A set of waterproofs, o.e toolkit and puncture repair kit and thats it. That's why the U.K bikes come with the topbox as standard. I do like the fact that there is a 12v socket in the small glove compartment. Should be getting the screen / handguard kit in the next few days.

As an aside, Honda US really needs to bring this scoot to your shores.

Mind you - you get the Fury...

Sorry.
What is the Fury? edit: I googled it.. you are envious of that Harley wannabe chopper mess?

Jaseun screwed with this post 09-17-2011 at 08:51 AM
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote