Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #196
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrover63 View Post
Just fitted these to the SH300, probably easier to fit on a motorcycle. They make a great difference to your hands on my cold commute to work. I put together a vid on how I fitted them if anyone is interested.
I was a very lucky chap, as my local Honda dealer was doing a deal at 90 for grips (R&G) including fitting. The grips are linked to the ignition and have a low voltage cut-out. The final invoice showed a nominal 1/2 hour for fitting - but I know it took a lot longer even for the professionals.
They do make a huge difference.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #197
Irishrover63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
I was a very lucky chap, as my local Honda dealer was doing a deal at 90 for grips (R&G) including fitting. The grips are linked to the ignition and have a low voltage cut-out. The final invoice showed a nominal 1/2 hour for fitting - but I know it took a lot longer even for the professionals.
They do make a huge difference.
That was a good deal John, I paid 45 including postage from the bay. I would imagine if you are used to working with the SH300, then working around the panels wouldn't be a problem, I just found everything so tight. I will remove the inline fuse during the summer months, so the grips wont be left on accidentally.
Irishrover63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #198
agesofman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
SH300 recall - How effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONYERBIKE View Post
I have had my 2008 SH300 for about 3months now, never had a problem, bike has been great, just had an 8000 mile service done and the dealer changed the ECU as part of a recall..... got the bike back, rode into London so about 30 miles of mixed riding, motorway, main roads etc, bike was fine, stopped at a red light, went to pull away when light went green and the engine just stalled, started again no problem and was fine for the rest of the day, rode the bike again the next day and the change oil light come on, this bearing in mind that I had just got it back from a service at a Honda dealer. Took the bike back and explained the problem, they put it on the computer and road tested it, apparently finding no faults with the bike........will have to wait and see what happens, hopefully just a blip where a technician wasn't doing his job properly.
Hi
I've had my 2008 SH300 for almost 4 years now and have enjoyed over 11,000 miles of great fun and trouble free riding.
I have had the recall notice but have not had it done as;
a) I have not had any problems (if it ain't broke don't fix it!)
b) The mix of performance and economy for 280cc is just so good I wonder if the new ECU will adversely affect the SH to fix a problem I don't have? (I log every fill into a spreadsheet & my SH's lifetime overall mpg is 79.7. This included one winter where I fitted a big screen which knocked down average mpg to 74).

Have any of you guys who have had the ECU update noticed any performance or fuel consumption changes?

agesofman screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 02:33 PM Reason: corrected title
agesofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #199
aeromys
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Had mine done at Farnham Honda a couple of months ago, although I hadn't had the problems either. I put it in cos a) it was free, and b) I hoped they might clean it
Mines 2 years old / 9000 miles only used for the daily commute, and haven't noticed any difference in either starting, fuel economy or pick up / torque since they did the ECU swap, however my oil change light came on last week (about the right time) but won't cancel ! I'm wondering if it's related to the ECU swap. It's been on before and always cancels with ignition on, engine not running, hold down the trip and clock button together. This time just can't get it to switch off
aeromys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #200
diethornig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Can you suggest any good ride for the dirty roads?
diethornig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #201
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
Mind you - you get the Fury...
dude, we get the fury. there is a blue one sitting in my local dealer it has been there for a year or two.

also here it is on the honda uk website where only models available in uk are shown.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/custom/#!/vt1300cx/
Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #202
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONYERBIKE View Post
I have had my 2008 SH300 for about 3months now, never had a problem, bike has been great, just had an 8000 mile service done and the dealer changed the ECU as part of a recall..... got the bike back, rode into London so about 30 miles of mixed riding, motorway, main roads etc, bike was fine, stopped at a red light, went to pull away when light went green and the engine just stalled, started again no problem and was fine for the rest of the day, rode the bike again the next day and the change oil light come on, this bearing in mind that I had just got it back from a service at a Honda dealer. Took the bike back and explained the problem, they put it on the computer and road tested it, apparently finding no faults with the bike........will have to wait and see what happens, hopefully just a blip where a technician wasn't doing his job properly.
Its now been a few months since I had the ECU recall done by my local Honda dealer, took it back to them and they found nothing wrong....................
since then, the bike stalled a few times when pulling away from standstill, it stalled once whilst riding along in central London, which wasnt the best considering that you need to have the brake held in to restart the bike....................
After a few weeks of riding, the bike stopped stalling and has been perfect ever since
ONYERBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #203
spynexes
Pas mi Ellin Varvaro

Oddometer: 2
Hi owned a Honda sh300i/CBS ,now i have 8500 km of working order but 5 times in the past,the engine stall when i was idling, i've changed everything but the problem insists (Change ECU,IACV,Throttle Body) do you know what causing all this trouble...

Do you know anybody something about this issue!
thanks in advance!
spynexes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #204
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spynexes View Post
Hi owned a Honda sh300i/CBS ,now i have 8500 km of working order but 5 times in the past,the engine stall when i was idling, i've changed everything but the problem insists (Change ECU,IACV,Throttle Body) do you know what causing all this trouble...

Do you know anybody something about this issue!
thanks in advance!
I have had the belt and rollers changed to cure some hesitation when starting very cold. Unfortunately the weather has just got warmer, so I'm not sure if this remedy has fixed the problem! The bike has always run perfectly when warm.

John
Old 04-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #205
Oga Will
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just bought 2011 SH300... seems nice one week in.

Just checked the oil for the first time (bought it with 2000 miles on it).

Do you do this on the centre stand, with the dipstick unscrewed and place back in place?

It's reading pretty low. The dealer did say it will consume oil, being used for stop-start traffic a lot (central London).

Can anyone else report on how much oil they're using, and how they're reliably checking it please?

Many thanks. Previous bike was a 2-stroke...
Oga Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #206
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Check oil on centre-stand with dipstick unscrewed and resting on the mouth of the filler hole.

Top it up and then check how much oil is being used. Honda recommend 10W-40 semi-synthetic.

Mine uses very little oil, but it does not hold very much anyway, so I check it regularly.

Best of luck,

John
Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #207
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Oddometer: 20
Belt change?

Hi all

My SH is nearly at 11,000 miles so I guess a drive belt change is due, correct?

I'd like to get the parts in advance so are there any other things that need changing at the same time such as the rollers?

The reason I ask is that on cold days after a few minutes running, when pulling away, it seems that the clutch is engaging far too quickly and I can only describe it as trying to pull away in a car in too high a gear. It clears after the engine warms up so I'm assuming it may be worn or sticky rollers.

Any ideas?

TIA

P.s. Any videos or 'how to's' available on the belt change?
Steve_Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #208
Irishrover63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Dalton View Post
Hi all

My SH is nearly at 11,000 miles so I guess a drive belt change is due, correct?

I'd like to get the parts in advance so are there any other things that need changing at the same time such as the rollers?

The reason I ask is that on cold days after a few minutes running, when pulling away, it seems that the clutch is engaging far too quickly and I can only describe it as trying to pull away in a car in too high a gear. It clears after the engine warms up so I'm assuming it may be worn or sticky rollers.

Any ideas?

TIA

P.s. Any videos or 'how to's' available on the belt change?
I get exactly the same symptoms as you describe and my SH300 has only done around 5,500 miles. I only noticed this when the weather started to turn cold at the start of winter.
Irishrover63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #209
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrover63 View Post
I get exactly the same symptoms as you describe and my SH300 has only done around 5,500 miles. I only noticed this when the weather started to turn cold at the start of winter.
I had exactly the same symptoms when the weather was cold! Had the belt and rollers changed at 9,000 miles after working out the cost of the tools needed to change the belt would be the same as having the dealer do it. I was charged 1.25 hours labor which included changing the brake fluid and checking the brakes
The lower service limit for the belt is 25.5mm and mine measured 25mm, the rollers measured 23mm which is well within the standard tolerance of 22.92 to 23.08.

Since the weather warmed up immediately after changing the belt, I don't really know whether changing it effected the cure.

Hope this helps,

John

John Bentall screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 11:57 PM
Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #210
Steve_Dalton
Scooterist

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
I had exactly the same symptoms when the weather was cold! Had the belt and rollers changed at 9,000 miles after working out the cost of the tools needed to change the belt would be the same as having the dealer do it. I was charged 1.25 hours labor which included changing the brake fluid and checking the brakes
The lower service limit for the belt is 25.5mm and mine measured 25mm, the rollers measured 23mm which is well within the standard tolerance of 22.92 to 23.08.

Since the weather warmed up immediately after changing the belt, I don't really know whether changing it effected the cure.

Hope this helps,

John
That's very helpful. Thanks. I have all the tools required (or should have) as I'm a car mechanic by trade. I was just wary of stripping it down and everything pinging apart. Can't be much involved if it's only a 1.25 hour job. When I get round to it I'll let everyone know how I got on and f I remember, I'll take pictures and post them up.
Steve_Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote