Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #31
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Hmm. Interesting choice. Just had the 600 service done, so i'm hoping the good weather holds, and i can get out this week for a few decent jaunts.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #32
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just got back from a 300 mile run around Wales. Mpg seems to have improved, could be the engine is getting loose. Saw about 90mpg on a steady run.
Weird thing is, i do this run regularly. i've done it on Hayabusa's, RT's, GS's and the like, and i have arrived home in about the same time. Makes me wonder exactly how much horsepower a rider really needs...
Old 05-13-2009, 04:59 AM   #33
kdude
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
Just got back from a 300 mile run around Wales. Mpg seems to have improved, could be the engine is getting loose. Saw about 90mpg on a steady run.
Weird thing is, i do this run regularly. i've done it on Hayabusa's, RT's, GS's and the like, and i have arrived home in about the same time. Makes me wonder exactly how much horsepower a rider really needs...
That is a very good point.. we share common rides , as a matter of fact i just sold my bmw 1200 GS (05) for the burgman and i havn't skipped a beat. The Burgman is lighter , TnG , less expensive on tires and parts and i don't get as many speeding tickets any more....
Old 05-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #34
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

More or less the same story. Things are getting worse on U.K roads, with such a concentration on speeding at the expense of decent policing, that most of my favourite roads are now 50 mph and speed cameras are all over the place that i found it difficult to warrant the extra expense of big bike ownership. 90 on the SH feels bloody fast. Yesterdays ride proved to me that a small cube TaG isn't just a commuter.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #35
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Update on the SH. Experimented with the screen, finally cutting it right down to just above the stays. Still noisy - so removed it and took it for a decent run. The difference is like night and day. Without the screen there is next to no noise and the scoot feels nimble and quick. Also added a set of bar end mirrors, which look a bit better, but make everything look like a Circus mirror show. Think i'll go back to the O.E mirrors for added rear visability...
I think you have to select either full screen for weather protection or no screen for noise reduction. Be nice if the screen and stays were a 2 minute removal job like the Vespa - but it isn't. Shame. Props to Piaggio for a much better design.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #36
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

A shot of said mods...

Paulvt1 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 11:43 PM
Old 06-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #37
gsmonkey
Flatulence Doctor

Oddometer: 10
Wicked New SH300

Just traded in my trust Honda Dylan 125 in for a new SH300........wow what a scoot!!!

I've been commuting through London on scooters now for the last 3yrs, much prefer to leave the big bikes in the garage as they're ultimately slower inside the M25, as you can't get through the narrow gaps..........especially the adventure!

I cruised down the M1 at 70mph with loads of power in reserve - which is quite strange on a compact scoot. In the city on my normal run it feels a lot quicker and certainly more satisfying to ride than the 125. Overtakes can be done with ease, rather than having to slingshot every move and hope for the best. The 300 is a bit longer, which can give problems getting through the tightest of gaps. Also the weight on the swingarm feels a lot more and you can feel it over speed bumps.

Road holding is motorbike solid, no skitting around on tiny wheels. Its also nice to be able to get a bit of drive from the corners with the torquey engine.

Will be interesting to see what I get mpg wise, as I'm certainly going to be using more power, as I can't resist the twistgrip!

Brakes are spot on a welcome change of the rear drum brakes of the 125s. Will be interesting to see how they cope with the greasy winter roads.

Got the screen on order, as the windblast is too much at decent speeds. I had the Honda screen on my Dylan. It was downright dangerous in its original size. Come a bit of rain at night and you couldn't see a thing. I ended up cutting about an inch off the top using a dremel just so I could see over the top of it - seemed to be the best compromise between weather protection and vision. Had no problem with buffeting or noise (although it was increased) but I wear good earplugs at all times.

The only downside appears to be the underseat storage, or lack of. Depends on what you need. For me, I always used a topbox for carrying my laptop, so only used the underseat storage for my lid when wanting to stop on-route somewhere. It's a small compromise for me, but maybe a massive problem for others.

Overall a cracking scooter, possibly the best on the market at the moment.
gsmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #38
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

You'll love it! Your assessment is spot on as well. My Vespa has barely moved since i got the SH. I went back to my cut down screen as the above set up just didn't work.
I agree that it's the best scooter on the market. Nothing else ticks as many boxes.
All the best.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #39
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
I posted earlier that my choice of scooter would be one that can not be mistaken for a motorcycle.... but I insist that it be fully capable at higher speeds.

I went to the local Honda dealership to look at the SH, but the US only has access to the little 150. And at almost $5,000.... I wouldn't dare give up that kind of money for a mere 150.

I can only imagine what the 300cc will be fetching when it's available this side-o-the pond. But the thing is CLEAN, has contemporary styling, and exudes quality. I won't give up my Bandit 1250 for it, but I'm still looking for the perfect scooter at half the price of a Vespa 300..... If I had twice the money, Vespa would be my choice.... or would it, given this new Honda? Does it have Honda's new C-ABS, dual disc brakes, decent suspension, can it be modified for more oomph.... and will it be affordable for those of us already deep in debt on a motorcycle?
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #40
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Rhys,

Have you checked out the new Stella that is a 4 stroke. I am not sure where they are selling them in the NoCal area. I also know that the local Alfa/Vespa shop had a Bajaj for sale and if he still has it, i would be willing to part with it for a deal... looks like he sold it. He does have a new People 150 for $3099.

Good hunting
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #41
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah... I gotta do it, gotta find out where a Stella can be found. I think I read that it wasn't CA epa freindly, not available out here on the West coast.

I wanna go to South Sac to the relocated Yamaha dealership where they sell some scoots.... forget what they are, but they're wannabe scoots at competitive prices.

I'm now hot on the new Harley "Iron" just released. It's as (in)expensive as a Vespa 300, in an 883 configuration, forged wheels w/tubeless tires, mid-controls, and low. I like it, but for the same money I would rather a Vespa right now.... or do I? But I've already done the Sportster..... and LOVED it; never had a scooter though......
Old 06-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #42
techguy
Scooter Trash

If you are looking to drive another 15 miles up 80, the BMW dealer in Roseville, A&S, had several used and new Vespa in every size range, including a MP3 250. They had two BV (250 and 500 I think), at least one Piaggio Fly 150, and they had several used Vespa's for ok prices and classic P200E for almost $6K. That's it for scooters. They have about 20 BMW bikes and stable full of Ducati if your pocket is deep enough. FYI>>> they do test rides on most of the items in stock with a full M1. They have loaner jackets, helmets and sneakers for you use too.

The Roseville Cycle center (across the freeway from A&S) had on the floor several Kymcos including a People 50, Xciting 250, Sento 50, Super 8 or 9 (maybe both), a GV (i think). They had Honda SH150 (the new 150 for $5K) and Metro 50's, as well as a Burgman 650 (new). They also had several of the electirc Vectrix scooters for $8-10K. Not sure about test rides. I have only bought parts there.

We also have a Lance dealer in Roseville and that seems to be one of the better china-scoots. I have never stopped in to see them. There are some Eagle Craft dealers but I am leary of them and thier product. (for whatever reason). I was in a dealer and he had stopped selling Kymco because he wasn't able to get parts . I felt like the guy was a sleaze and he only had the bottom line cheapest products I had ever seen. The two K dealers I have worked with on parts never had any issues getting them.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #43
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmm, gonna hafta visit A&S then.... I used to do business with the old man (of A&S) over 35 years ago. He had two shops, one in South Sac' and one in Folsom. They were little, dirty, sleezy shops. I used to buy used tires from him for my CL360 or 400F; he was a really grouch old fart back in those days. His son now runs the modern A&S.... nice guy.

Yeah, I'm reluctant to go with any of the cheaper fly-by-night Chinese scoots for sale by all sorts of cheezy shops and/or private parties (out of their garage).

Still looking.....

THANKS!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #44
techguy
Scooter Trash

I would recommend A&S for anything you'd want. They have excellent gear and nice toys. It is a BMW dealer primarily but they have great gadgets for every rider, street or road. The thing that always surprises me is that their accessories are very well priced and I have asked the parts counter guys questions about what ever I was considering buying and they seemed to be
"experienced" answers not just "sales" answers.

I bought my helmet and jacket based on recommendations from two different salesmen. I also bought plastic scratch remover and plastic "blackener" and several othe rlittle toys from them. I got the jacket off their clearance rack for $125 less than list. New and unused. I think Olympia stopped making this model of jacket.

FYI.. grab a free soda in the cooler in the right had side of the large showroom, near the coat rack and pinball machine. PM me and maybe we can meet-up.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #45
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
The 4T Stella isn't out yet and there's a lot of speculation if it'll be available the first year in CA. It's been sent for CARB testing, but I haven't seen anything online about where it is in the process. By the way, the Bajaj can be really pokey.

I was at a shop yesterday that had the Honda 150. It is really sweet and I usually don't like the look of modern scoots. I wish we got the 300 in the US...I'd be all over it.

Paul, that's a beautiful ride you have. I love the hand guards.
lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote