Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #46
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
Just got back from a 300 mile run around Wales. Mpg seems to have improved, could be the engine is getting loose. Saw about 90mpg on a steady run.
Weird thing is, i do this run regularly. i've done it on Hayabusa's, RT's, GS's and the like, and i have arrived home in about the same time. Makes me wonder exactly how much horsepower a rider really needs...
Hey Paul,
You do some very good posts and I enjoy readig them.
I just got my first scooter (2008 SYM HD200) after 50+ years of just motorcycles and am having a blast with it.
I do a regular run of about 150-200 miles here in the mountains of Western North Carolina and I swear I can make it in better time with my scooter than than with my more powerful motorcycles. I am not a knee dragger by any means but the scooter seems to handle the tight turns better.
The Honda 300 sounds like a ideal size. Maybe it will make the USA. The other one I might look at in the future is the Yamaha Tmax . The Burgman 650 is a good scooter but it's as big as Goldwing and I have already been there.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #47
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,533
Nice one mate! I really hope that at some time you guys stateside get to sample the 300 - and at the right price. It really is a great package. Light cheap to run and comfy. Good fun too..
All the best with the Sym.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #48
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Shame really. Hondas' loss is Kymco's gain.
Saying that though, the SH is bloody expensive over here. I can't imagine they would be able to sell it in the US for a competitive price.
It's odd really, as i wanted Kymcos' new Downtown 300 - but that wasn't imported here due to pricing.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #49
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,588
I would add that little unit in a heartbeat. I've read reams of crap about it - and it sounds like the perfect blend.
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #50
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,588
I think that those 300s would gain as much traction as the 500s. The 500s aren't lithe enough for comparison.

It sucks to only read about them...
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix

ElusivePedro screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 08:25 PM
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #51
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
+1 on the above 7 posts

I had a tire replaced on the Helix in AR and was admiring the SH150 while waiting, then commented to one of the salesmen that I'd sure like a 300. He only smiled and responded, "maybe someday".

PS Kudos to Bentonville Honda and their service, flexibility and efforts.
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #52
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a shot of the scoot with it's new Givi windscreen. Certainly looks more elegant than the Honda one. Will report back on it's performance when i get chance to give it a run.

Paulvt1 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 11:43 PM
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #53
Dimitrii
nubish

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
Here is a shot of the scoot with it's new Givi windscreen. Certainly looks more elegant than the Honda one. Will report back on it's performance when i get chance to give it a run.
With it running through the windscreen how is he going to squeeze that right . . . Oh. It is just clean!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #54
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It works a treat. Had it up to about 60 mph. No buffeting - minimal noise. Money well spent.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #55
KorkyKat
Il est interdit d'interdi

Oddometer: 4
Hi to you all. My first post.

I came across this site while doing some research into the SH300i. I was quite impressed with Paul's comments but here is the spooky thing. I have also traded down my 919/900c.c. bike for the SH300i.

I've rode large bikes for most of my life and have recently toured Europe. I reached the conclusion that I didn't need 120bhp on Britain's roads. There are few places where you can exceed the speed limit without getting a ticket. Age also told me that my bike was too heavy to move around - especially getting it on the centre stand. It also drank petrol as if I owned an oil field! And then there's all that changing gears and getting wet in bad weather. Time for a change thought I. Sadly there were few bikes that were both light and comfortable in the 300-600cc range. An all out sports bike would be of no use to me.

I have had the SH300 for three days and am delighted. It does everything I want it to do and I love the flickability with the large 16" wheels. I am currently running it in so can't say too much about the top speed or acceleration until the engine is bedded in. I am impressed with the brakes - incredible! I also like the way the engine slows the scooter down when cruising up to traffic lights.

It will be good to share notes with Paul on ride experiences. It is to be hoped that the bike club I usually attend doesn't come out with the age old prejudices about scooters. Seems like some folk can't understand that if we are on two wheels we are all as one.

Be Good - Take Care

KorkyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #56
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
KorkyKat,
Like you, I just bought a scooter after many years of motorcycle only ownership. I went up he displacement ladder to Goldwings and Hogs but now am back down at the bottom with my SYM HD200.

I wave to a lot of motorcycles who start to wave back but withdraw the wave when they realize I am on a scooter. I'm at the age where it doesn't bother me.
Happy scooting
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #57
KorkyKat
Il est interdit d'interdi

Cheers BarNone.

Gripe #1

I had a good look through the owners manual last night and couldn't find a single thing about how to remove the wheels. Nor find anything about the torque settings for the wheel nuts. And thus the question is: What happens when you need to change the tyres? Surely one can not be restricted to visiting a Honda dealer?

I find this odd given my previous Honda bike had all the instructions and torque settings.

Despite searching hundreds of sites and all the Italian and Spanish sites (known as the Scoopy) I couldn't find a thing.

Any ideas folks?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #58
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nice one Korky. Welcome to the Scoopy club. You'll love it mate.
The wheel thing is odd. Not even a mention in the service manual. Will try to get some more info off my dealer.
All the best.
Paul.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:49 AM   #59
DPE
n00b

Update please

Can I ask how you are getting on with the sh300i Paul, I am also from Wolverhampton and have just sold my SV650 because I started to struggle in the traffic.

What is mid range like? Do you struggle on A roads 60mph ish or is there still a fair bit left?

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I am considering one of these and they are not cheap and would like an honest opinion from someone who has ridden motorcycles.

Thanks in advance

Darren
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #60
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
I've decided this is the PERFECT scooter (for me),
but if the SH150 (here in the States) is fetching over $5,000 otd,

I can only IMAGINE how much they would be asking for na SH300 if sold state-side!

(In other words, not QUITE perfect for me.....)
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote