Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 05:01 AM   #76
DPE
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Take delivery of mine today, used but got a very good deal, I am sure I will find it very different to my sv650. I will post my thoughts after I have had a little go on her.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #77
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,450
Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #78
speednut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
How fast do you think each scooter will go and how fast could or would you cruse on a highway?
speednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:28 AM   #79
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The SH will hit 85 with my less than aerodynamic frame in it's way. It'll cruise at 70. The Vespa a bit less. Probably happiest at about 65.
Quick enough for me.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #80
Sparkytoo
Quiet Rider

Oddometer: 26
Cruising & Top Speeds

Paul, since Honda speedometers are notoriously optimistic, I must ask, are you are referring to indicated or GPS verified speeds?
Sparkytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #81
speednut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thanks for the info.I am looking.
speednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #82
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Both were from the dash gauge. Probably significantly less. Best thing with these scoots is 30 feels like 60 on a big bike.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #83
macamx
n00b

Oddometer: 5
More info please.

Hi Paul.
Taking delivery of my Sh300 next Friday following a lifetime of bikes of all types. Can I ask you which Givi screen did you go for the 52 or 59 cm and do you look over the top of it or through it. How much are they and is the fitting easy. Also have you fitted heated grips and if so which ones. This is the first time that I have ever bought a machine relying only on the strength of test reports so lets hope the writers haven't been over egging it. By the way I live in Lincoln and will be commuting 22 miles a day on A/B roads and city centre with hopefully some pleasure riding as well. Just got fed up with everything that's involved with the likes of Pan's and RT's.

Regards.

Geoff.
macamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #84
PCPaul
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
Just got back from a 300 mile run around Wales. Mpg seems to have improved, could be the engine is getting loose. Saw about 90mpg on a steady run.
Weird thing is, i do this run regularly. i've done it on Hayabusa's, RT's, GS's and the like, and i have arrived home in about the same time. Makes me wonder exactly how much horsepower a rider really needs...
We don't need nearly what we have! Remember that the Vincent Black Shadow had what? maybe 50-60hp? A Ninja 250 will haul my fat ass (270lbs) to over 90mph.
PCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 AM   #85
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamx
Hi Paul.
Taking delivery of my Sh300 next Friday following a lifetime of bikes of all types. Can I ask you which Givi screen did you go for the 52 or 59 cm and do you look over the top of it or through it. How much are they and is the fitting easy. Also have you fitted heated grips and if so which ones. This is the first time that I have ever bought a machine relying only on the strength of test reports so lets hope the writers haven't been over egging it. By the way I live in Lincoln and will be commuting 22 miles a day on A/B roads and city centre with hopefully some pleasure riding as well. Just got fed up with everything that's involved with the likes of Pan's and RT's.

Regards.

Geoff.
Hi Geoff.
If i remember right i had the 52cm Givi screen. I'm 5ft 10in and i look through the top of the screen. I can happily ride with my visor up. The screen is a breeze to fit. 4 13mm bolts secure it to the underside of the top cowl. There are spacers that fit between the mounting brackets and the underside mounting points. They can be a bit fiddly, but are no real problem.
I have got a set of Oxford grips - but i haven't got round to fitting them yet.
You'll love the SH. It's just a nice hassle free commuter - and a good tourer to boot.
All the best with your purchase. Post some pics when you get it.
Paul.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:47 AM   #86
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPaul
We don't need nearly what we have! Remember that the Vincent Black Shadow had what? maybe 50-60hp? A Ninja 250 will haul my fat ass (270lbs) to over 90mph.
Agreed. With the price of fuel heading only one way maybe small light stuff will be back big time. My local dealers are selling 125's like hot cakes. Big fast stuff has died a death.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #87
macamx
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
Hi Geoff.
If i remember right i had the 52cm Givi screen. I'm 5ft 10in and i look through the top of the screen. I can happily ride with my visor up. The screen is a breeze to fit. 4 13mm bolts secure it to the underside of the top cowl. There are spacers that fit between the mounting brackets and the underside mounting points. They can be a bit fiddly, but are no real problem.
I have got a set of Oxford grips - but i haven't got round to fitting them yet.
You'll love the SH. It's just a nice hassle free commuter - and a good tourer to boot.
All the best with your purchase. Post some pics when you get it.
Paul.
Thanks for that.
macamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #88
DPE
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I have done exactly the same as you Geoff and purchased the bike on the strength of reviews and opinions. Although I have not had a diverse range of motorbikes I have ridden a few 650s but got tired of the work involved when in traffic.

This is my honest opinion. I will give you the bad bits first.

The foot-well is too small, I am only a size 9 and I could see it being a little cramped if you are big footed.

My first back box so they may all be the same but I find it annoying locking and unlocking, there must be a knack to it but I find myself still trying to lock it after 2 minutes.

No low fuel light and no reserve that I can see.

Not so nice looking from the front of the bike.

The seat is not the best for comfort or position, I feel as though I am sitting very close to the front of the bike with no option to slide back because of the ridge in the seat. It is not overly comfortable but this may just be me.

Under seat storage is poor, not enough room to fit a helmet.

The good:

Looks far better than it looks in any picture especially from the back and the sides, from the back you would not know it was a scooter.

It is quick (for a scooter) very quick. Although it does not feel that quick I beat everything from the lights. Mid range it still pulls all the way up to 85mph (this was up hill) and then I think there must be a limiter on it. I say this because it does not run out of breath at all it just stops. There seems to be much more left it feels like it would or should hit at least 100mph.

Mine is a 2007 and it looks like new, you can see and feel Honda quality.

I actually feel my journeys are much quicker on this than on my motorcycle, I think it is because it is so easy and fun to ride.

Instrument panel is brilliant, and the built in HISS alarm system is easy to use and is a CAT 2 so insurance is lower. (I think)

Bike feels stable and I am sure you could wheelie it and get your knee down if you wanted.

As for the grips I had the Daytona all season which Honda sell as an after market set. Original Honda ones cost 199 and these are 60. Although I have only used them once, they get very hot and the reviews on them are good.

Although there are a lot of bad points none of them are really that bad and if you asked me if I think the scooter is worth the money I would say hell yes and more, it is an amazing piece of kit that will last me a good few years.

DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #89
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

+1.

Ace review.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #90
Jalopy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
My first impressions

(Firstly: I'm most impressed with the picture gallery on the homepage - when you simply enter www.advrider.com - is this new?)

Like macamx and DPE, I bought this scooter purely on the strength of reviews; and, of these, this thread has been the most useful.

Took delivery yesterday in Velvet Red (pictures to follow) and with a Givi screen (52cm) - thanks for the advice, Paul -. Buying from a Honda dealer with 0% finance has been a breeze. Great service.

I haven't been on two wheels for more than ten years, so it is difficult to make immediate comparisons, but the bike does not disappoint. It has a magic carpet ride that is effortless and, despite running it in and avoiding any hard acceleration, it appears to have loads in reserve.

I agree with DPE's observations about the size of the footplate and limited storage, which are both the consequence of the larger wheels and, in my view, the trade-off with the sure-footed handling of the larger diameter wheels is well worthwhile.

The Givi screen, despite being the smaller size, is tall enough that I look through the top of the screen (I am a shade off 6 foot). I thought that I would immediately want to cut it down but, as yet, I am totally happy with it. I have not driven it without a screen, so I cannot say that it has increased the engine noise; but I can say that I do not find the noise at all intrusive and that the tone of the engine is relaxing, if anything. None of the high pitch, small engine whine of so many scooters.

The dealer had not fitted a Givi screen before and says that he will now recommend it to all his customers. It just looks better than the Honda screen too.

The scooter is heavy by comparison with others, but not too heavy. The balance is reassuring considering its power. The seats are broad and comfortable; and I have not found the ridge too far forward, as mentioned by DPE, but this is, of course, a matter of opinion.

The top box needs a knack and you certainly should not leave the dealer without a thorough demonstration. I don't particularly like the top box.. In view of the limited space under the seat, I would have preferred something a little larger. A couple of inches wider would have been ideal. I shall not change it, however, because of the advantage of having a single key for ignition, top box and under-seat storage (under-seat storage being released from the ignition, which is a nice touch).

The bike is so simple and everything just works; it is difficult to add anything other than mentioning the broad grin that comes as standard. You can't but help smiling as you pull away with such consummate ease and enjoy the ride.

One happy customer. Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread.

Jalopy screwed with this post 09-05-2009 at 09:22 AM
Jalopy is offline   Reply With Quote