User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
rocker59 OP
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,823
1999 Ford Super Duty 7.3 thoughts?

So, I've been thinking of switching from my Suburban to a pickup for awhile. Wanting to improve towing (horses) and possibly trade for a larger trailer.

Though I've always driven GM, I'm pretty familiar with Ford, as my dad has driven them for 25 years.

Anyway, I've found a one-owner '99 F250 Super Duty XLT 4x4 super-cab long-bed 7.3 diesel with 87,000 miles on the clock that has caught my eye at a small local car lot.

Camper shell and no gooseneck hitch. Old man supposedly pulled his bass boat with the truck, and it was an extra vehicle, hence the 5500 miles per year.

Any of the gurus on here have any insight on these trucks?

Things I should look for?

Idea on retail value?

Etc., etc...

Thanks in advance.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
Stroked 550
Dirt Nut

Oddometer: 294
I have had a few 99-2000 7.3L in my life they are great trucks

do they have the maintenance / repair records?

is this an auto or manual transmission?

What is the asking price on that truck?

Here is one thing to do when looking at the truck:

1. with the engine running you can unscrew the engine oil filler cap and flip it upside down over the oil fill neck if the cap blows off the top then you have a lot of blow by and should run away from it

2. check for oil leaks at the turbo pedestal base

3. when driving it make sure the truck's front end is tight;
is there steering slop?
when you take your hands off of the steering wheel and apply the brakes does the truck drift to one side or another?

At around 110-120k miles you usually have to replace the under valve cover harness

at around 150-157k miles the power steering pumps like to go out on ya

depending whats been replaced recently you might have to replace the bearings and other steering components but it sounds like its been easily driven so you probably wont have to do that for another 100k miles

Stroked 550 screwed with this post 03-17-2015 at 07:48 AM
Stroked 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #3
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,560
7.3's that are low miles are getting pretty desirable. Good engines that aren't terrible to maintain.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
rocker59 OP
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked 550 View Post
I have had a few 99-2000 7.3L in my life they are great trucks

do they have the maintenance / repair records?

is this an auto or manual transmission?

What is the asking price on that truck?

Here is one thing to do when looking at the truck:

1. with the engine running you can unscrew the engine oil filler cap and flip it upside down over the oil fill neck if the cap blows off the top then you have a lot of blow by and should run away from it

2. check for oil leaks at the turbo pedestal base

3. when driving it make sure the truck's front end is tight;
is there steering slop?
when you take your hands off of the steering wheel and apply the brakes does the truck drift to one side or another?

At around 110-120k miles you usually have to replace the under valve cover harness

at around 150-157k miles the power steering pumps like to go out on ya

depending whats been replaced recently you might have to replace the bearings and other steering components but it sounds like its been easily driven so you probably wont have to do that for another 100k miles
I haven't asked about maintenance records. I will when I look at it again.

Automatic Transmission.

$14,900 asking price. (NADA and KBB both think @$12,000 is clean retail).

1. I will try that when I look at is again.

2. The engine is clean. And, no oil leaks seen around the turbo when I looked at it yesterday.

3. I'm going to try and drive it later this week. Maybe Saturday. It was rush hour yesterday when I was at the lot, and I didn't want to hassle with taking it out.
IBA #24873
Old 03-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #5
Stroked 550
Dirt Nut

1. are you paying cash or financing it?

2. If you got cash I would offer them $10,500 and try to end up at $11,500

3. Also when looking at the engine, is the engine compartment dusty/ dirty?

4. the auto's are good transmissions but having had both manuals & the auto I rather have the manual ( I towed super heavy though in a F550) so a auto might be fine for what you need.

5. How heavy are you going to be towing?

6. What gear ratio does it have?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
rocker59 OP
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
1. are you paying cash or financing it?

2. If you got cash I would offer them $10,500 and try to end up at $11,500

3. Also when looking at the engine, is the engine compartment dusty/ dirty?

4. the auto's are good transmissions but having had both manuals & the auto I rather have the manual ( I towed super heavy though in a F550) so a auto might be fine for what you need.

5. How heavy are you going to be towing?

6. What gear ratio does it have?

1. cash to the dealer.

2. my target I've had in mind was $12,000 max, which was reinforced by NADA/KBB research. Good to hear someone else thinking in the same ballpark

3. Light dust. The truck has been cleaned up, but it's not show truck detailer clean.

4. I'd prefer a manual, but an auto is OK. I recall that these 4-speeds weren't too bad. Based on the C6. Not as nice as the newest transmissions, though.

5. Initially, I'll be using my current horse trailer which is 5,000 to 6,000 depending upon load. Would probably be buying a living quarters gooseneck horse trailer in the next couple years if I buy this truck and the weight would double.

6. It's not a highly optioned truck, so I'm guessing it has the stock 3.73 gearing. I'm not sure that the 4.10 or 4.30 would've been available on a F250 diesel? I thought they were for the F350, 4.30 only available on the V10 gasser.
IBA #24873
Old 03-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
DamLucky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Spend a little time here ===> http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/7.3liter/7-3_main.asp

I'd suggest you also look at the oil pan for rust. The coating used has a tendency to blister, retaining moisture under the paint. Replacement requires pulling the motor. Important for units that spent any time in the rust belt.

When I bought my 99 last year, there was a lot of steering slop but I was able to clean this up by adjusting the steering gearbox.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,358
I have same truck, '02, just turned 100,000 miles. Bought new in '01. Oil and filter every 5000, just regular maintenance. Pretty much only use it for pulling equipment or horse / stock trailers to NC or north FL. Still on original brakes. L front hub went out several years ago on a trip back from NC, 1 hour from home. Towed it to my house and $150 later I was back on the road. Carry a spare front hub behind the seat in case it ever happens again on the road.

Ready to do coolant, hoses and maybe turbo hoses now. Dropped the tank last week to do the "Harpoon" mod, the fuel pickup and screen had broken which explained my running out of gas when I should have had 6 gallons or so left. Expected to see all kinds of crap in the tank but it was pretty clean. I use a diesel bioicide when its gonna sit for a couple months, and a PS additive when I'm actually travelling.

edit 3.73 rear end
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
Stroked 550
Dirt Nut

1. Oh nice that will definitely help out with negotiating power, yeah I would say $12k absolute max

2. These 4 speeds are not bad( 4r100), they actually use them vs the newer transmissions in high performance diesel trucks. Just for towing it would be nice to have a 6 speed.

3. The F250 7.3 comes in 3.73s or 4.10s, I had one with the 4.10s which was great for towing

4. Look underneath the motor / oil pan for leaks

5. Look underneath the frame for rust
Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
rocker59 OP
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
5. Look underneath the frame for rust
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamLucky View Post
Spend a little time here ===> http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/7.3liter/7-3_main.asp

I'd suggest you also look at the oil pan for rust. The coating used has a tendency to blister, retaining moisture under the paint. Replacement requires pulling the motor. Important for units that spent any time in the rust belt.

When I bought my 99 last year, there was a lot of steering slop but I was able to clean this up by adjusting the steering gearbox.
The undercarriage is pretty crusty. I'll look closer, but the paint on the frame, suspension, and driveline is flaky and lots of surface rust showing.

No body rust at all.

Truck has lived most, if not all of its life in SW Missouri.

I'll have a closer look at the oil pan.

By contrast, by '02 Suburban with 250,000 miles still has all its black paint on the frame and driveline with very little flaking and surface rust.
IBA #24873

rocker59 screwed with this post 03-17-2015 at 08:38 AM
Old 03-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #11
chainslap
BlessedarethesicK

Oddometer: 786
Awesome trucks if maintained.

Check here for more information:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/
chainslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
The 4r100 tranny is junk. Do some searching, it is by far the weak link. One year had a specific problem with what I think was called a "mechanical diode" (???) that was a guarantee rebuild and would break under 100k without fail. I'd look into this, it was only in one model year and I cant remember what one.

As for everything else, pretty straight forward and I'm sure it would be bullet proof. Others hit most stuff but maybe check/pay attention to how it starts cold, excessive smoke, etc, could indicate problems with glow plugs and maybe injectors. Diesel smell in coolant may need injector cups. Early model year 99's were an odd ball lot and have several different parts than standard 99-03 super duties.

If your serious maybe take it to a diesel shop and have them look over it and also hook it up to a scanner. You can really tell the health of the engine, injectors and sensors with a good scanner.

I have an '01 and love it. But like everything 10-15 years old I'm sure it will need some work, but it sounds like it would be a great truck in the mayhem that is today's modern diesel truck market.
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #13
rocker59 OP
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
The 4r100 tranny is junk. Do some searching, it is by far the weak link. One year had a specific problem with what I think was called a "mechanical diode" (???) that was a guarantee rebuild and would break under 100k without fail. I'd look into this, it was only in one model year and I cant remember what one.

From what I read, the mechanical diode was in the diesels from the start of 2001 model year (July, 2000) and left production in March, 2001. And, was the biggest problem on gassers in the 1-2 shift at high rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
maybe check/pay attention to how it starts cold, excessive smoke, etc, could indicate problems with glow plugs and maybe injectors.
It had been sitting a few days and started right up with no noticeable puff from the exhaust.
IBA #24873
Old 03-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #14
rocker59 OP
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainslap View Post
Awesome trucks if maintained.

Check here for more information:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/
Thanks for the link
IBA #24873
Old 03-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
v303x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Sounds like a lightly used '99!

I have late '99 F350 SRW CC Auto 4X4 since new (125K miles now). The only time it quit on me was when the fuel lift pump died, but luckily is was in front of my house.

Besides maintenance this is what has gone wrong with truck:

Speed sensor went out
Fuel lift pump
Injector connector came loose inside the valve cover (very common, Ford sells a wedge kit)
Fuel gauge is a little flaky
Fuel bowl seals
Leaking coolant o-ring in hose fitting on the lower engine
Auto door locks actuators

That's it. I am very lucky, but it is very well maintained. I added a temp gauge and quick shift spring kit for the tranny. I watch the tranny temps when towing in town, they climb pretty quickly.

I also keep up with coolant additive to prevent cavitation induced pitting on the cylinder water jacket.

Good luck, they are awesome trucks.

Cheers,
David
v303x is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: