User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
curtis6870 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Fitbit

Not sure I'm in the correct place, oh well.
Anyone use a fitbit for tracking physical activity? I seem to be struggling this cold weather season with maintaining an appropriate level, and hoping this might inspire me. AKA my fat ass is on the couch to much.
I'm looking at the flex model, as I don't see a need for HR monitoring or Caller ID.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,176
I've got the Flex and I wear it daily to remind me to get the eff off my A and move around a bit. It works well. If you really want to be hardcore, pair it up with their Aria wifi scale. That bitch will log your weight and body fat % daily and record it on your fitbit app. Seems to work well for me, I just wish the line graph was not trending like a good stock.....
Old 12-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
Get a dog...walk it 3 miles every day.

No fancy electronic gadgets needed.

I did 600 miles walking the dog on my lunch hour last year.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,905
I use the original app, a bathroom scale.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,711
After having the Force, and sending it back due to the recall (I didn't have a problem with the Force, but I thought if Fitbit shut down the Force dashboard, what good would it be?), I thought I didn't really need an activity tracker/motivator.

Then Fitbit (the bastards!) sent me an email late last week inviting me to be an early adopter with an advance purchase of the new Charge HR, since I was a Force victim. I've been wearing it now for two days, and I like it.

It is a cool motivating tool. And it gives you some good feedback on various metrics - sleep quality, activity levels, and, if you get really involved, caloric intake and more. The Charge HR even gives you a daily profile of your heart rate - cool stuff.

And it shows me the caller ID when my phone is ringing! That's somewhat cool, but it's the buzz on my wrist that's more useful, since I'm occasionally in places where I can't hear my phone ringing.

W.A.
Buccleuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
Get a dog...walk it 3 miles every day.

No fancy electronic gadgets needed.

I did 600 miles walking the dog on my lunch hour last year.
that's a seriously long lunch hour.

I won a fitbit at work last week. haven't decided what to do with it yet. the idea is fine and dandy, but as mentioned, it's like...winter n stuff. plus it would freak out at my sleep quality/time.

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post

Nah...if you walk at a 4 mph pace, it takes 45 minutes to do 3 miles. I slow just a bit in the winter...50 minutes to do my loop.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,724
I was implying that it was 1 lunch hour since you didn't say hours.

I would like to use the thing but can't wear it at work, my knee is pretty painful most of the time and me cycling during the winter isn't gonna happen

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
No Coast Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I bought my fiancé a FitBit Flex last month. After a month of use its already broken, the thing just stopped working after we got back from the gym yesterday. Looked into it and apparently it's a common issue. Shame because she really liked it.

She contacted the company and they said they might replace it and asked for a receipt, I doubt they'll replace it though since I bought it from a store on eBay.
No Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post

I won a fitbit at work last week. haven't decided what to do with it yet. the idea is fine and dandy, but as mentioned, it's like...winter n stuff. plus it would freak out at my sleep quality/time.
Boomer, if you decide to move it along (at a significant discount ) let me know, I've been thinking about getting one for a Christmas gift.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #11
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
Then Fitbit (the bastards!) sent me an email late last week inviting me to be an early adopter with an advance purchase of the new Charge HR, since I was a Force victim. I've been wearing it now for two days, and I like it.

It is a cool motivating tool. And it gives you some good feedback on various metrics - sleep quality, activity levels, and, if you get really involved, caloric intake and more. The Charge HR even gives you a daily profile of your heart rate - cool stuff.

And it shows me the caller ID when my phone is ringing! That's somewhat cool, but it's the buzz on my wrist that's more useful, since I'm occasionally in places where I can't hear my phone ringing.

W.A.

Keep us updated with your experience on the Charge HR. It looks like what I want and am really curious if the HR is BT and able to sync with other excercise apps like endomondo or Strava.
yeroc40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,063
I got the Jawbone one. As expected it only reminded me of how unhealthy my activity level is. I did like that it could be used as an alarm clock that monitored your sleep cycles and would wake you as you were naturally moving towards awakening.

There are some concerned with the privacy issues these bring into view.

http://blog.kaspersky.com/fitness-trackers-privacy/

Battery life on the Jawbone is at least 2 weeks. I usually get nearly 3 weeks.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 12-11-2014 at 10:35 AM
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
firstr8
Walter Mitty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
Last year, Pebbles bought the Force as a XMas present to herself,
Due to the crappy clasp design...or lack thereof...she lost it.
While she wore it, she really did like it...

Due to the recall, they replaced it with a Flex. They said that they were under no obligation to replace a lost unit, but they did anyway...so I give them a few points for owning up to that....

I'm thinking it might have been a refurbished unit because battery life was "not as advertised" . maybe only a day or 2 before it was asking for more juice.

Interesting to see that they have seen the error of their way and are using a tried-n-true buckle to secure the new units....I wish they would offer that to the rest of the lineup.

Still, battery life is only days, and you have to remove it from the band to charge, on the Flex. Kind of a hassle.

From the website, it looks like the new ones don't have to be dissambled to charge.

I was considering the Garmin since it has a one year battery life, and uses common watch batteries.

firstr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,711
To those points, I'll note:

Fitbit's new Charge HR does indeed have a real buckle. Why? I have no idea, since they still use the simpler snap plate on some of their other monitors, but I like the security - you're not going to lose this one.

You do not have to disassemble or otherwise prepare the Charge HR in any way to charge it. You simply pop the proprietary charging cable (quite short) into the back of the unit.

Battery life is indeed days, and a handful at that. But you can't (or shouldn't, I imagine) wear the Charge HR in the shower, so that's when I take it off and charge it. I don't worry about the state of charge, or getting a full charge every time. I just plug it in, get a shower, then unplug it and put it on once I'm out. It just makes it convenient.

Other observations:

The Charge HR is just as blocky on the wrist as the old Force was; thus, it seems to get caught in shirt cuffs, jacket sleeves, etc. Just something to get used to.

The ability to show caller ID via Bluetooth is a cool feature, as I've already mentioned.

You can use the Charge HR - as you can other Fitbit monitors - as an alarm that won't disturb your partner or others around you. Enter the alarm time via your Dashboard "Settings" menu for a wake-up time, or anything else you want to remember. And that buzzing on your wrist WILL get you going!

W.A.
Buccleuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,403
Been wearing a flex for a few months. Wife and I each bought one, mine worked great right out of the box, we returned hers twice. I like the techy part of it although I do not track calorie intake. I lost mine at an airport, either did not work the clasp correctly, or it broke. Now wearing the wives since she stopped using hers and I'll likely upgrade to one with HR in the future. I don't use all of the features, but I try to reach 10K steps every day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: