ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #1531
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer
 
Otis the Sasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kirkwood, MO
Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
That wouldn't be too hard to see as proof that dark, evil forces are ever-present among us presenting signs that the apocalypse is imminent.
Oh, and did you read the ad? That was a 1982 Collectors Edition, one of 6579 built.

"I'm not just gonna' f#@% up a REGULAR Corvette, I'm gonna f#@% up a SPECIAL Corvette! BWAAAAHAHA! "






Yes, evil walks among us





..
__________________
Black care rarely sits behind the rider whose pace is fast enough.
Theodore Roosevelt

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #1532
bassogap
Haulin' the kids around
 
bassogap's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: King Co, WA
Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by justen View Post
Put some chrome bumper trim on it and that version of the T-Bird would have sold like hotcakes.
The problem with the retro T-bird wasn't the exterior (though the hooded headlights and a bit of chrome would have been very welcome).

The problem was what you saw when sitting behind the wheel. Ford was asking $40k, and you got the same plastic dash/gauges/wheel as the $20k econobox models.

An absolute shame. Reminded me of early-'80s GM products, where the POS Chevette had the same dash as pickup trucks, vans, and the expensive sedans.
bassogap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #1533
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,437
Early 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassogap View Post
.................................................. .................................................. ....

The problem was what you saw when sitting behind the wheel. Ford was asking $40k, and you got the same plastic dash/gauges/wheel as the $20k econobox models.

An absolute shame. Reminded me of early-'80s GM products, where the POS Chevette had the same dash as pickup trucks, vans, and the expensive sedans.


When the 'new' T-birds came out they were at all the H-D events (Ford and H-D kinda shared their 'centenial' and I saw a bunch of them. I kept thinking that I did not like the big chunk of chrome on the A posts, but when I see them on the road now, I never notice it. Probably the different perspective of not standing right over them. Too bad they didn't do better, it was nice having something that looked a little different on the road. I can't tell too many of the cars apart without looking for details these days plus I care less and less about learning those details.

Funny that you mention that now. A (lightly) used '84 Corvette turned up next door, wife was over and looked at it but came back saying "the dash is so plain". I don't think that she even saw it with the key on so it was just black 'windows' surrounded by black plastic. I should forget about it, really too low for either of us to get into or out of, but the price is reasonable and ......... it IS a Corvette!


Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #1534
rotten
LOST AGAIN
 
rotten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Soquel, CA
Oddometer: 670
"Nice cars that people have destroyed with bad taste"

Going through this thread seems most of the "nice" is already gone buy the time the original car leaves the factory floor. I realize nice is subjective but people have been turning turds into different turds since beginning of time.
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #1535
Nailhead
Painting by numbers
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Glendo, WY- Pop. 230
Oddometer: 5,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post
Oh, and did you read the ad?
I was afraid to.
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #1536
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer
 
KeithinSC's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Sandhills of SC
Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Funny that you mention that now. A (lightly) used '84 Corvette turned up next door, wife was over and looked at it but came back saying "the dash is so plain". I don't think that she even saw it with the key on so it was just black 'windows' surrounded by black plastic. I should forget about it, really too low for either of us to get into or out of, but the price is reasonable and ......... it IS a Corvette!


Bruce

'84 was the first of the new generation. Engineers went all out to make it handle. It rides STIFF. If you're considering it, take it for a solid test drive. GM got enough complaints that 85-86 they softened it up quite a bit.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #1537
Vbird
In Room 237
 
Vbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: N.C.
Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassogap View Post
The problem with the retro T-bird wasn't the exterior (though the hooded headlights and a bit of chrome would have been very welcome).

The problem was what you saw when sitting behind the wheel. Ford was asking $40k, and you got the same plastic dash/gauges/wheel as the $20k econobox models.

An absolute shame. Reminded me of early-'80s GM products, where the POS Chevette had the same dash as pickup trucks, vans, and the expensive sedans.
Actually, the interior was lifted straight from the Lincoln LS- not exactly an econobox. Several things killed the sales of the retro bird. There were delays getting them to dealers because of the cooling fan motor problems (sourced from Toyota). Most dealers marked the price up by thousands. Mostly, it didn't have the performance to go with the looks or the name. It could never inspire Chuck Berry, The Beach Boys, or Bob Seger to write a song about them. Shame that Ford didn't put the Jag superchager on it.

The pic I posted earlier doesn't show it from the rear. The overhang of the fins makes it look more like a short Batmobile than anything else.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #1538
Vbird
In Room 237
 
Vbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: N.C.
Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
'84 was the first of the new generation. Engineers went all out to make it handle. It rides STIFF. If you're considering it, take it for a solid test drive. GM got enough complaints that 85-86 they softened it up quite a bit.

Dad sold his after a few months- couldn't take the beating. Also had the older "Crossfire Injection".
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #1539
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer
 
Tmaximusv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Gateway to the Sandhills
Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbird View Post
Actually, the interior was lifted straight from the Lincoln LS- not exactly an econobox. Several things killed the sales of the retro bird. There were delays getting them to dealers because of the cooling fan motor problems (sourced from Toyota). Most dealers marked the price up by thousands. Mostly, it didn't have the performance to go with the looks or the name. It could never inspire Chuck Berry, The Beach Boys, or Bob Seger to write a song about them. Shame that Ford didn't put the Jag superchager on it.
.
Isn't this true for EVERY T-Bird from 59 onwards? Especially in the 80-90 time frame - lame-O v6, 2 door Crown Vic styling, etc. etc. etc.
__________________
Illegitemi non-corundum est.
Tmaximusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #1540
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer
 
WVhillbilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
'84 was the first of the new generation. Engineers went all out to make it handle. It rides STIFF. If you're considering it, take it for a solid test drive. GM got enough complaints that 85-86 they softened it up quite a bit.
Stiff as hell, but if I remember right they would pull right at, or over 1 G on the skidpad.

And beat your kidneys loose, but they handled great on smooth roads.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #1541
Nailhead
Painting by numbers
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Glendo, WY- Pop. 230
Oddometer: 5,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Stiff as hell, but if I remember right they would pull right at, or over 1 G on the skidpad.
.896 G on Gatorbacks.

I remember that because Road & Track did an exhaustive test & styling analysis on the '84 'Vette, and that G figure was jaw-dropping to a high-school kid with a VW Dasher & 175/70-13 Phoenix 3011's.
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #1542
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gernick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Far Western New York
Oddometer: 3,615
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #1543
Innocent Criminal
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 56
For the win, I present this former Mercedes CL500.







All of the gory details can be found here.
http://carbuzz.com/news/2012/10/12/U...ction-7711125/
Innocent Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #1544
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post
I don't know about you.....but I LOVE these. Most likely be my next car in a year or two once I'm debt free.

SRT of course
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #1545
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gernick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Far Western New York
Oddometer: 3,615
A few months for me. Should be just like that one sans chrome wheels. Test drove the SRT a few weeks ago. Saaaaweet.

I was bitching about the inspection stickers.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014