Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #721
rockyrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
[quote=gogogordy][quote=RedRocket]

I love the flat black. Just the other day I told my friend i wished cars came flat black from the factory, on some models it really works.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #722
Riverbud
Ding fries are done

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrider

I love the flat black. Just the other day I told my friend i wished cars came flat black from the factory, on some models it really works.
I agree. This one's not flat black, but I saw this Tacoma at the IMS show a few years ago and loved the paint.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #723
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,069
the Dragon Vette is one of the faces of Meth.

that's methamphetamine right there folks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe
how long did it take to do all that sweet work to your car?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #724
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
[quote=rockyrider][quote=gogogordy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket

Umm, Dood, that isn't flat black....it is called satin black. It has some sheen to it which flat black doesn't. I personally love satin black, and have painted some accents on my Range Rover classic in it and am going to do some more.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #725
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,488
Quote:
I used to love those. When the TR7 came out, I though it was the bomb of the future. That one is sad.

Last Saturday he had a $1500 OBO price tag on it..........to bad about the ugly nose that was put on it.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #726
rockyrider
Gnarly Adventurer

[quote=Sniper X][quote=rockyrider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy
Umm, Dood, that isn't flat black....it is called satin black. It has some sheen to it which flat black doesn't. I personally love satin black, and have painted some accents on my Range Rover classic in it and am going to do some more.
I didn't know we so many interior decorators on this thread.
i thought black came in shiny and matte and that was it.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #727
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
[quote=rockyrider][quote=Sniper X]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrider
I didn't know we so many interior decorators on this thread.
i thought black came in shiny and matte and that was it.
Nope, but I get your point.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #728
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
I just realized I could be in this thread...

When I was 19 I bought a '77 Corvette which needed some work, including paint. The PO had painted a blue racing stripe down the middle over white.

I wanted the car flat black. It was very difficult to find someone who would paint it. A couple shops I brought it to would either not paint fiberglass, wouldn't paint a car a flat color, or both. I ended up having a friend of a friend do it in his back-yard paint shop. I was happy with his work and his price.

I also changed all the interior leather to red. I got the inspiration from a red and black car I'd seen at the car museum at Elvis Presley's Graceland when I was young.

I don't have any pics of the car when it was flat black, unfortunately. This is the closest thing I could find online. (Of course, mine was mostly stock and not a race car.)

Just two or three weeks after I had it painted, I hit a fence with it and tore up the front left fender. The fiberglass had to be repaired and the entire car had to be repainted. Of course, the body shop where I had the work done didn't want to repaint it flat black.

I spent a while on the phone with the owner of the shop while he talked me out of wanting it flat. He convinced me that a glossy black would look much better.

The truth is, I sort of had to agree. A few years ago when I sold the car, it looked like this.

Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking... and other times I think I'd like to try again. Always wanted a '57 Chevy Nomad in flat black...

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #729
rockyrider
Gnarly Adventurer

dood,

the sateen as we are calling it now is way cooler on the vette than the gloss imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
I just realized I could be in this thread...

When I was 19 I bought a '77 Corvette which needed some work, including paint. The PO had painted a blue racing stripe down the middle over white.

I wanted the car flat black. It was very difficult to find someone who would paint it. A couple shops I brought it to would either not paint fiberglass, wouldn't paint a car a flat color, or both. I ended up having a friend of a friend do it in his back-yard paint shop. I was happy with his work and his price.

I also changed all the interior leather to red. I got the inspiration from a red and black car I'd seen at the car museum at Elvis Presley's Graceland when I was young.

I don't have any pics of the car when it was flat black, unfortunately. This is the closest thing I could find online. (Of course, mine was mostly stock and not a race car.)

Just two or three weeks after I had it painted, I hit a fence with it and tore up the front left fender. The fiberglass had to be repaired and the entire car had to be repainted. Of course, the body shop where I had the work done didn't want to repaint it flat black.

I spent a while on the phone with the owner of the shop while he talked me out of wanting it flat. He convinced me that a glossy black would look much better.

The truth is, I sort of had to agree. A few years ago when I sold the car, it looked like this.

Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking... and other times I think I'd like to try again. Always wanted a '57 Chevy Nomad in flat black...

Jamie
Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #730
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:

That just oozes "badass."

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #731
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,421
Look at what you started. My problem with this car wasn't the paint, it's the body kit, and the enormous wheels.

[QUOTE=rockyrider][quote=gogogordy]
Quote:

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #732
JR Greenhorn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Look at what you started. My problem with this car wasn't the paint, it's the body kit, and the enormous wheels.
+1

Quote:
...I got the inspiration from a red and black car I'd seen at the car museum at Elvis Presley's Graceland when I was young...
It's funny how hard it is to get something out of your system once it's made an impression on you like that.

When I was 16 and had my car (327-powered '74 Camaro) finally all together and "complete" for the first time, I saw a car that got under my skin. It was one of the first nights I was "out" with my own car, and I had driven alone to meet some friends at the movie theater. After the movie, I stood out in the street in front of the theater and talked to a girl (the girl, back then) for quite some time. We finally parted ways for the evening and she left. While I was walking to my car, I hear quite a rumble coming up from around the corner. The car turns down the street I was on and pulls up to park near my Camaro. It was a '78 Firebird with open headers, no hood, and painted primer gray. The engine had been done up to look pretty nice all out in the open. Three guys a few years older climb out, curious about my car. To a young guy with the ink still wet on his license, it made quite an impression.

In hindsight, that Firebird was probably worthy of this thread, but there was just something so cool and badass about it at the time. I never emulated the primer thing, but I've always thought it was kind of cool--well, at least until it got totally played out in the rat rod scene.

When I was 17, my Camaro went hoodless for about a year. Even with an open element air cleaner, I only had problems with water a couple of times in heavy rain. Only once did somebody mess with something (pulled off one plug wire), and the car was a daily driver.

A while later, with the hood still stowed at home, I took off the exhaust and ran straight headers--for about six weeks. It made a lasting impression on me, changing me from a "louder is better" teenager before into a person who doesn't care much for loud exhaust of any kind afterward. Seems like a lot of teenage guys would do well to put up with a daily-driven car with open headers for a few weeks. It would put aftermarket exhaust companies out of business.
JR Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #733
bgw2go
Wanna Be Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
That is wrong

That is wrong on so many levels. Not a fan of Porsche 4 door anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimX
bgw2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #734
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
That just oozes "badass."
At the time I thought so too, but try to get a shop to paint a car flat black. It's been 15 years, but I remember several shop owners telling me, "You won't like it when we're done." I'm not a painter, but apparently taking the gloss out of the paint makes it weaker. I guess because you can't clear coat it. A couple shops told me they wouldn't paint it flat black because it wouldn't hold up.

They all thought I was destroying my car with bad taste.

The guy who eventually painted it for me said he used a gloss paint, but put a "flattening agent" in it. I remember him telling me, "You can't wax it, you know."

Like in the picture of the Corvette stock car, my flat black was still kind of shiny. It wasn't nearly as flat as I hoped, but it was pretty cool. That is, until I ran the car off the road and wrecked it.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #735
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,421
I'd have to dig up some pictures and scan but I painted my car Black Suede back about 20 years ago. I used Tremco Rust-clad spray bombs.
Because it was flat paint I could paint one panel at a time. You wouldn't have know it was a can job if you saw it.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: