User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,866
Pass The Iced Tea, Maw - Summer's Here

Had a couple of jobs in Kenny Lake today, and one in Chitina, so I took advantage of the beautiful weather for a ride in the country. It was 60 when I pulled out of Glennallen at 10:30 ish, and when I crossed the bridge at Lower Tonsina around 3:30 the thermometer registered 70! On the way back, around 11 Mile on the Edgerton, it hit 73. (Yeah, I know you FF's in FBX have been seeing it that warm for a couple of days now, but this is in mountain terrain, not in Alaska's version of Kansas. )

At Kenny Lake there was a farmer out in his field baling hay, and sheep were down within 20 feet of the road at 3 Mile Lake out of Chitina.

Only complaint I have - the ol' work van doesn't have A/C. Any time it gets above 60 I need to have the A/C on. May have to shut down operations until fall - or ride one of the bikes on all my service calls.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
fugawi
Fükengrüven in TN

Oddometer: 731
It used to get so hot in Glennallen, we (fire guys) used to go get naked and sit in Moose Creek. Those were the days.

Hope you said a silent 'hello' to Al Taylor when you went by his place at Lower Tonsina . . . . I miss that character. He used to patrol for fire back in that part of the woods for us. His weather reports were always the same:
"It's Hot, and Dry, and it's Windy".

My brothers old homestead was at 11.5 mile of the New Edgerton.
fugawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi
It used to get so hot in Glennallen, we (fire guys) used to go get naked and sit in Moose Creek. Those were the days.
And if Fred Rungee was around, I'll bet some ice cream came out of the freezer too.

Quote:
Hope you said a silent 'hello' to Al Taylor when you went by his place at Lower Tonsina . . . . I miss that character. He used to patrol for fire back in that part of the woods for us. His weather reports were always the same:
"It's Hot, and Dry, and it's Windy".
Not even sure where Al's place was. I'll hafta ask someone out here who can point it out for me.

Quote:
My brothers old homestead was at 11.5 mile of the New Edgerton.
That's right about where the temperature peaked. He musta picked the warmest spot.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
fugawi
Fükengrüven in TN

Oddometer: 731
Is Fred still up at Carlson Lake? I hope he's still living. Andy Gordon would have called me otherwise I'd have thought.

Fred was very influential in my life while working at Glennallen BLM. A very mystical, magical, merry fellow. Unbelievable Individual - and YES, there was always ICE CREAM !!!!

One of his Birthdays, he was on a fire out Minchumina way (I think) and a cargo drop was set up where many big containers of Ice Cream were dropped to the fire crew and him. Only for Fred !

Al Taylor had the place just at the bridge on the Copper River side of the road. He passed a number of years back.

On occasion, Al Taylor, Fred Rungee and Ed Church would gather at the Glennallen Office and I would sit wide-eyed and open-mouthed listening to the stories they told. Amazing!!!
fugawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Yep, Fred's back again. Got back up last month. Saw him at the laundromat a few days ago. I think I know Al Taylor's house now. An old, mid-60's vintage, Oldsmobile sitting, rusting in the yard.

Sometimes I feel that we're losing all the interesting old characters that made Alaska the fascinating place that it is. Just glad I got to meet a few of them along the way and, like you, was able to sit, spellbound, and listen to their tales. They didn't have to embellish them, either. Just the factual recounting of events was enough.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,736
And now we are fortunate to have you ... and Maggie too!!