ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #256
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonm
Hey fellas. My names Mark. I live in Springfield. Im selling my SV650 and thinking about replacing it with a dual sport. What do the majority of you guys ride? I just assumed Id get a KLR but then I started reading about all the oil-burning issues. Now Im leaning towards a XR650L.
Hi Mark! Welcome to our little corner of insanity! As to your dual sport question, ride whatever fits you best. I'm buying a KLR or Yosso's KTM come spring. What do you think you're honestly going to be using the bike for? If its 90% road 10% forest road, a stock KLR will do you right. If you're wanting more offroad a KTM, DR or XR would be a better bet. However, I ride my ninja 650R offroad, so my opinion is moot!!!!

I'm thinking I'm going to try to make a Friday morning ride a regular thing. You're welcome to join us on any bike.
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #257
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyNinja
Hi Mark! Welcome to our little corner of insanity! As to your dual sport question, ride whatever fits you best. I'm buying a KLR or Yosso's KTM come spring. What do you think you're honestly going to be using the bike for? If its 90% road 10% forest road, a stock KLR will do you right. If you're wanting more offroad a KTM, DR or XR would be a better bet. However, I ride my ninja 650R offroad, so my opinion is moot!!!!

I'm thinking I'm going to try to make a Friday morning ride a regular thing. You're welcome to join us on any bike.
Forgot to mention. The newer KLR oil burning issue is easily solved with a Snitz 685 kit, which besides not burning oil gives you more go juice! I wouldn't worry about it honestly. Keep an eye on your oil levels and always have a quart with you! Its a KLR afterall, if you don't have the complementary milk crate luggage to carry oil, we'll find you one!
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #258
pearsonm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
If its 90% road 10% forest road, a stock KLR will do you right.
I'm guessing it will be something like 70-60 pavement/30-40 dirt roads. I want something that I can comfortably ride out to and thru forests and back. I just traded a DR-Z400 supermoto for a trackbike because it was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever owned.

I've even thought about a Scrambler. I test rode one a couple weekends ago. They're nice bikes but it didn't feel right for what I want to do. I haven't got to test ride a KLR or XR yet. The oil burning issue's a deal breaker for me. I refuse to pay money for a bike the needs a top-end unless it's priced accordingly.
Bikeology: Z1000 (sold); F4i #2 (sold); SV650 (sold); CB750F (sold); DR-Z400SM (traded); SV650S (sold); F4i #1 (RIP); R6 (traded); YZF600R (sold); ZR-7S (sold); Bandit 1200 (RIP)
pearsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #259
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm guessing it will be something like 70-60 pavement/30-40 dirt roads. I want something that I can comfortably ride out to and thru forests and back. I just traded a DR-Z400 supermoto for a trackbike because it was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever owned.

I've even thought about a Scrambler. I test rode one a couple weekends ago. They're nice bikes but it didn't feel right for what I want to do. I haven't got to test ride a KLR or XR yet. The oil burning issue's a deal breaker for me. I refuse to pay money for a bike the needs a top-end unless it's priced accordingly.
Most newer KLR's don't have the oil burning issue from what I can tell. I've done a test ride or three on the KLR and really liked it's handling, ergonomics and power. But, my friends all call me crazy...

Scramblers are killer! Not sure how well they'd do as a dual sport, but that doesn't mean they can't do it. I mean just from looking at a VStrom, you'd never guess that it is pretty capable offroad either.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #260
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think the GrayDragon is going to complain about sending him to his demise on K highway through Huckleberry ridge when he gets home. I already recieved a phone call about it

Old 11-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #261
Countyline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I'm in Joplin, but I don't have any neons and I'm afraid to do whoolies. Can I still ride?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #262
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
I think the GrayDragon is going to complain about sending him to his demise on K highway through Huckleberry ridge when he gets home. I already recieved a phone call about it
Is he okay? Any bodily harm or just bike damage?

M.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #263
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey fellas. My names Mark. I live in Springfield. Im selling my SV650 and thinking about replacing it with a dual sport. What do the majority of you guys ride? I just assumed Id get a KLR but then I started reading about all the oil-burning issues. Now Im leaning towards a XR650L.
I had an XR650L before the KTM...and the KTM (even being down 240cc) seems to do just as good if not better on the interstate (for short jaunts) and of course, there is no comparison off road. But that's just me, and I'm biased as I'm trying to sell a KTM.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

Mike
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #264
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso
Is he okay? Any bodily harm or just bike damage?

M.
He's okay, but the gravel and loose sand on the road just about took out his SWMBO. I coulda sworn I mentioned the gravel when I dropped off his parts, but it could have gotten lost in the OMG that road doesn't have a straight section longer than 100 yards excitement I was spewing!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #265
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countyline
I'm in Joplin, but I don't have any neons and I'm afraid to do whoolies. Can I still ride?
Hell yes!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:48 AM   #266
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
He's okay, but the gravel and loose sand on the road just about took out his SWMBO. I coulda sworn I mentioned the gravel when I dropped off his parts, but it could have gotten lost in the OMG that road doesn't have a straight section longer than 100 yards excitement I was spewing!
There was a bit of gravel here and there on that road...I had one tense moment trying to keep up with you...after that I backed off a bit...just in case.

M.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #267
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
I think the highway "K" stands for Killer .

HBN only mentioned leaves on the road, I don't remember anything about gravel/sand. Overall nice road but just about every curve it looked like some spread some fresh sand/gravel on the side of the road and it had worked its way up onto the road. There were a few skitter moments, I'm not quite as "brisk" of a rider on the twistys like HBN is so no harm done, just disconcerting.

Then we get on HWY 90 and it's the same gravel crap on the curves. We had just ridden that section last weekend and it was completely clear of debris (not Sunday drivers unfortunately).

We then turned North on HWY E and almost immediately got stuck behind a pickup, who was stuck behind a truck hauling a horse trailer, who was stuck behind a

Goldwing.

After everyone turned off we had a nice ride the rest of the way home.

Never buy a fur coat from a man being chased by a naked bear.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #268
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countyline
Welcome to the insanity.

"neons"???? I'm out of the loop on that one.

Never buy a fur coat from a man being chased by a naked bear.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #269
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Dragon
Welcome to the insanity.

"neons"???? I'm out of the loop on that one.
I _think_ it's a "Mad Stunta" thingie...but I could be wrong. Neon lights in the fairing and so forth...

M.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #270
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso
I _think_ it's a "Mad Stunta" thingie...but I could be wrong. Neon lights in the fairing and so forth...

M.
Oh, I always that that was a "power ranger ATTGATT" reference. I'll never keep up with the kids these days!