ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #361
NechesBobcat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Where is Jack's Fork?
NechesBobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #362
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Ok, here's the skinny. Anyone that has ridden the Glade Top Trail is an OUTLAW!!!! Unless you've aquired both the permit to ride OHV from Chadwick and the county OHV permits in all counties you rode in.

I just talked to the ranger station in Ava and the nice lady informed me that in order to ride numbered forest service roads you need the Chadwick permit. To ride numbered county roads you need the county permit. Some counties will honor neighboring county permits. The best bet is to buy all the permits you need before heading out....

Singletrack is offlimits to OHV outside of Chadwick...She said she knows people ride them, but wanted to iterate what was legal.

Also, if you call the office, they'll mail you maps for free! I've always just stopped by on my way, so this is a time saver.

To reach the Ava/Cassville ranger district, you can call the following number :Main Office
Ava/Cassville/Willow Springs District Office
1103 S Jefferson
Ava, MO 65608
(417) 683-4428
(417) 683-4464 TTY
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #363
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NechesBobcat
Where is Jack's Fork?
South Central part of the state. Google map Emminence Missouri and you'll see both the Current river and Jack's Fork river, or go to missouriscenicrivers.com for detailed info and water levels.
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #364
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1
I was once stopped on the Jack's Fork river in a canoe by a ranger in full camo hidding behind logs...

What part of the river was that on and when did it happen?
I was on that river and a ranger, in a canoe, was checking everyone. He stationed himself around a bend. You could not see him until you rounded the bend. If you were doing anything illegal it was too late.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #365
CalculatedRisk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyNinja
Ok, here's the skinny. Anyone that has ridden the Glade Top Trail is an OUTLAW!!!! Unless you've aquired both the permit to ride OHV from Chadwick and the county OHV permits in all counties you rode in.

I just talked to the ranger station in Ava and the nice lady informed me that in order to ride numbered forest service roads you need the Chadwick permit. To ride numbered county roads you need the county permit. Some counties will honor neighboring county permits. The best bet is to buy all the permits you need before heading out....

Singletrack is offlimits to OHV outside of Chadwick...She said she knows people ride them, but wanted to iterate what was legal.
HBN,

I just want to verify....

Does this include state licensed DS bikes?

Thanks,
CalculatedRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #366
t-rock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
What's up guys? New SWMO member here.
t-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #367
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalculatedRisk
HBN,

I just want to verify....

Does this include state licensed DS bikes?

Thanks,
Prob good idea to call
Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #368
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,310
I thinked I knew everything sure didnt know about the county permits.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #369
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock
Welcome to our thread! Whatcha ride?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #370
t-rock
Adventurer

I ride a 2000 R1. It's not much of an adventure bike, but I love it. It's got 51k miles on it now, 11k from me in the past two years. This past summer, I did a trackday at Hallett the end of may. A week into June, a friend and I set out from Springfield at midnight for Birmingham, AL and back. Finished with 1070 miles in 22.5 hours with receipts and witnesses and all, but never ended up sending it in to IBA.

Now I have the bug to do a lot more touring and trackdays. I figured I would join here and see where it took me.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #371
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I ride a 2000 R1. It's not much of an adventure bike, but I love it. It's got 51k miles on it now, 11k from me in the past two years. This past summer, I did a trackday at Hallett the end of may. A week into June, a friend and I set out from Springfield at midnight for Birmingham, AL and back. Finished with 1070 miles in 22.5 hours with receipts and witnesses and all, but never ended up sending it in to IBA.

Now I have the bug to do a lot more touring and trackdays. I figured I would join here and see where it took me.
Sounds like an adventure to me. ADV is what you make of it. Not everyone rides a KLR around the world, some even do it on custom hardtail choppers!

I currently ride a baby ninja and use it like a light duty sport touring rig and light off road bike. We were doing regular rides but winter has pretty much crapped on that parade.

Be carefull of the ride reports forums, they will have you lusting after KLR's, DR's, KTM's and BMW's to go do the gnarly rides...

How was Hallet? Graydragon and I have talked about going down there but the videos we've seen makes me think that the pavement is pretty rough.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #372
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
How was Hallet? Graydragon and I have talked about going down there but the videos we've seen makes me think that the pavement is pretty rough.
One of the guys across the street is in the Mazda Miatia club and goes down to Hallet a couple times a year. He has mentioned that there are some rough spots in the pavement.

Never buy a fur coat from a man being chased by a naked bear.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #373
t-rock
Adventurer

trackdays are an absolute blast. Hallett does have some rough spots, nothing horrible, but not a pristine track by any means. It's more of a mom and pop type track. Not a whole lot of extra amenities, but they have a track and everyone is as helpful as possible. I've seen guys tear their spare bike apart to give someone a piece they need. It is cheaper than others (gateway, heartland park in topeka) but they have better pavement and are normally run by NESBA, or other trackday organizations.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #374
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Welcome to our little hole in the wall.

Never buy a fur coat from a man being chased by a naked bear.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:22 AM   #375
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,368
Quote:
To ride numbered county roads you need the county permit. Some counties will honor neighboring county permits. The best bet is to buy all the permits you need before heading out....
can they MAKE you buy a permit to travel a dirt road on a "Licensed, street legal with insurance, machine??
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote