ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 05:29 AM   #376
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
There goes the neighborhood

I just found your thread. I live in NWAR and work in SWMO. Haven't ridden in SWMO yet but some of my cohorts have, I just have missed those rides. May get up here soon though.

I work in SWMO so if you have a bad wreck, I hope you don't, we may meet up.

Ride Safe

P.S. I see Doc is here so I know you let anybody in.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #377
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
can they MAKE you buy a permit to travel a dirt road on a "Licensed, street legal with insurance, machine??
Apparently if you're on a OHV type vehicle and traveling said numbered county road through a National Forest, the answer is yes. I was stunned also, as I've been riding Mark Twain for a long time.
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #378
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70
I just found your thread. I live in NWAR and work in SWMO. Haven't ridden in SWMO yet but some of my cohorts have, I just have missed those rides. May get up here soon though.

Ride Safe

Heck, I live in SWMO and work in NWAR. What time do you head up 540?
yosso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #379
Elvis70

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso
Heck, I live in SWMO and work in NWAR. What time do you head up 540?
Well I live a strange life. I work 7 days on and 7 off as my standard schedule. But of course vacations, sickness, shortages lead to odd numbers of days worked and days off. I come up here an stay in a hotel in Joplin, MO until I get off. I rotate between days and nights so I may be headed up on a Tuesday night or headed home on a Wednesday morning or vice versus.

How far do you commute daily? If I relocated to Bella Vista I could drive it daily, but with 12 hours shifts that can run over, Fayetteville is just to far to drive everyday.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Old 12-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #380
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Well I live a strange life. I work 7 days on and 7 off as my standard schedule. But of course vacations, sickness, shortages lead to odd numbers of days worked and days off. I come up here an stay in a hotel in Joplin, MO until I get off. I rotate between days and nights so I may be headed up on a Tuesday night or headed home on a Wednesday morning or vice versus.

How far do you commute daily? If I relocated to Bella Vista I could drive it daily, but with 12 hours shifts that can run over, Fayetteville is just to far to drive everyday.
150 mile round trip, but I do four ten's with typical office starting and ending times (6:30am to 5:30pm) that gives me a three day weekend (most of the time).

Which Hospital, Freeman or St. Johns? When my wife had our daughter this past May, she ended up in a room facing the heli-pad at Freeman and we watched the chopper go up and down multiple times...was that you?
yosso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #381
Elvis70

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso
150 mile round trip, but I do four ten's with typical office starting and ending times (6:30am to 5:30pm) that gives me a three day weekend (most of the time).

Which Hospital, Freeman or St. Johns? When my wife had our daughter this past May, she ended up in a room facing the heli-pad at Freeman and we watched the chopper go up and down multiple times...was that you?
Not me. This past may I was busy in training as I had just went to work for another company. Until January of this year I flew for the compamy that is based at Freeman, but I was at the base in Bentonville, AR at the municipal airport. No longer there. I have taken patients into Freeman many times though. I now fly St. John's MedFlight.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #382
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
Quote:

Ride Safe

Welcome to our hole in the wall.

I live here in Joplin near the Hospitals and hear you guys fly over our house all the time.

Never buy a fur coat from a man being chased by a naked bear.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #383
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Dragon
Welcome to our hole in the wall.

I live here in Joplin near the Hospitals and hear you guys fly over our house all the time.
don't tell him where you live..he will hover there and take pix and it wont matter what time either! (ask me how I know this?)
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #384
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
don't tell him where you live..he will hover there and take pix and it wont matter what time either! (ask me how I know this?)
Thanks for the advice.

I Live on the NORTH side of Joplin, over by Carl Juntion. Yah that's it...

Never buy a fur coat from a man being chased by a naked bear.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #385
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Dragon
Thanks for the advice.

I Live on the NORTH side of Joplin, over by Carl Juntion. Yah that's it...
Oh, HELL NO!
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #386
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, here's an update for you hooligans. I called the ranger on Monday and my information packet and maps showed up today!

There is something that was included named teh Motor Vehicle Use Map.
I think you need a laywer to decipher all this crap, but here's a link to the online version if anyone is interested in figuring this mess out...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/mark...maps/products/

Old 12-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #387
NechesBobcat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I'd really like to get a copy of those.
NechesBobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #388
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NechesBobcat
I'd really like to get a copy of those.
Ava/Cassville/Willow Springs District Office
1103 S Jefferson
Ava, MO 65608
(417) 683-4428
(417) 683-4464 TTY

Call and ask about trail riding in the forest and request all the info she can throw at you. Then pepper her with questions about specifics. She was a bit vague when I talked with her about dual sports liscenced for street use.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #389
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,324
from what I have read on the PDF..it is telling me that since my "vehicle" is licensed for the hiway, I am good to go...anyone else read it differently?
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #390
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
from what I have read on the PDF..it is telling me that since my "vehicle" is licensed for the hiway, I am good to go...anyone else read it differently?
I read it slightly differently. If you zoom in real close on the numbered forest service roads, you'll see that they are marked in different ways that match a legend. The FS roads mostly indicate OHV, which I believe requires a permit. I think a street legal dual sport would be kosher on county roads though. The permit must be for non plated bikes to get from trail to trail in a county.