ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #406
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
I'm still hoping for a good day to come up. But alas I'll probably be caging down to Bentonville also.

Never buy a fur coat from a man being chased by a naked bear.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #407
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Well I got the oil pressure sensor that was leaking replaced and switched the battery charger from my bike to da' wife's.

About froze doing it too.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #408
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

I was just lurking on the NW AR thread and found this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...47282&page=294

Check out the link at the top of the page.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #409
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Howdy from Oregon County

Howdy ya'll... just skimmed through this thread and ya'll seem like a fun bunch. Thought I'd introduce myself.

I live in Oregon County a bit north of Alton, south of Winona off SR19. My stompin' grounds are the Eleven Point and Wilderness areas of the Mark Twain, been riding/exploring all over here since getting my '08 DR650 a couple years ago.

I'm a crotchety 50-something old fart who lives out in the boonies, our property borders the Eleven Point area, the river is just a mile down at the end of our county road. Any direction from the farm is great DS riding... some legal, even. Most trails are used by the camo/orange 4-wheeler crowd. I'm the ONLY DS rider around here and so I do a lot of solo riding.

Also own a '07 Bandit 1250, 'cuz there's a lot of mighty fine twisties 'round these parts too... the 45-mile stretch of SR160 between Alton and Doniphan has around 150 curves of all shapes and sizes from off-camber doglegs to double-apex carousels. Much fun.

Been riding off-road and on for about 45 years and can't stop. I'm sorta reckless or just a lousy rider I guess, I'm either riding or recovering from riding injuries... like right now letting my smashed foot heal up, dropped the DR in the mud with my foot folded up under it last month.

The DR is currently in my shop on the crate getting a bunch of mods, getting ready to do the TAT next spring with a bud from Wisconsin. She'll be back up and running in another week or two, and I have a lot of riding to do to get in shape for the TAT.

I don't get over to ya'll's neck of the woods much, but this coming spring and summer I'm thinking ya'll might like to come visit over here where the REAL hillbillies are and enjoy some gnarly trails or the hundreds of miles of gravel county roads and fire tracks. We have plenty of acreage for ya'll's camping pleasure, a cool old trailer parked in the woods, a couple hippy schoolbuses, and there's a spare shower/guest room back of the shop. My wife is a real sweetheart and happily welcomes stray dawgs like ya'll. Just plain hill folks, we are.

A few pics from the area... this is just a mile from our place, deep down in the hollers:

Farm road just east of here:

Pastures to the west:

The Wilderness area:

Blue Hole trail (an easy part):

The Eleven Point River:

DirtyDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #410
FNMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Laugh Wow!

That looks like a great ride. I love the river pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
Howdy ya'll... just skimmed through this thread and ya'll seem like a fun bunch. Thought I'd introduce myself.

I live in Oregon County a bit north of Alton, south of Winona off SR19. My stompin' grounds are the Eleven Point and Wilderness areas of the Mark Twain, been riding/exploring all over here since getting my '08 DR650 a couple years ago.

I'm a crotchety 50-something old fart who lives out in the boonies, our property borders the Eleven Point area, the river is just a mile down at the end of our county road. Any direction from the farm is great DS riding... some legal, even. Most trails are used by the camo/orange 4-wheeler crowd. I'm the ONLY DS rider around here and so I do a lot of solo riding.

Also own a '07 Bandit 1250, 'cuz there's a lot of mighty fine twisties 'round these parts too... the 45-mile stretch of SR160 between Alton and Doniphan has around 150 curves of all shapes and sizes from off-camber doglegs to double-apex carousels. Much fun.

Been riding off-road and on for about 45 years and can't stop. I'm sorta reckless or just a lousy rider I guess, I'm either riding or recovering from riding injuries... like right now letting my smashed foot heal up, dropped the DR in the mud with my foot folded up under it last month.

The DR is currently in my shop on the crate getting a bunch of mods, getting ready to do the TAT next spring with a bud from Wisconsin. She'll be back up and running in another week or two, and I have a lot of riding to do to get in shape for the TAT.

I don't get over to ya'll's neck of the woods much, but this coming spring and summer I'm thinking ya'll might like to come visit over here where the REAL hillbillies are and enjoy some gnarly trails or the hundreds of miles of gravel county roads and fire tracks. We have plenty of acreage for ya'll's camping pleasure, a cool old trailer parked in the woods, a couple hippy schoolbuses, and there's a spare shower/guest room back of the shop. My wife is a real sweetheart and happily welcomes stray dawgs like ya'll. Just plain hill folks, we are.

A few pics from the area... this is just a mile from our place, deep down in the hollers:

Farm road just east of here:

Pastures to the west:

The Wilderness area:

Blue Hole trail (an easy part):

The Eleven Point River:

2008 YAM WR250R-SOLD
2010 BMW F800GS Lava Orange
FNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #411
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Quote:
Welcome to our little hole in the world.

It seems that most of us around here have street bikes, but lust after the DS crowd .

We'll have to get in touch when the weather warms up and your foot heals.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #412
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Dragon
Welcome to our little hole in the world.

It seems that most of us around here have street bikes, but lust after the DS crowd .

We'll have to get in touch when the weather warms up and your foot heals.
Yeah, now I'm wanting my KTM back.

M.
yosso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #413
arcolamo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
hello

i'm new here. lurk from time to time. good info here. mostly ride my DR200 to check cows. plan to ride the Arkansas part of the TAT this year and kinda learn as i go. live just north of springfield. if anybody wants to ride kinda slow and check out the scenery, i'm always looking for a companion.

laissez le bon temps rouler, yall.
arcolamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #414
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcolamo
i'm new here. lurk from time to time. good info here. mostly ride my DR200 to check cows. plan to ride the Arkansas part of the TAT this year and kinda learn as i go. live just north of springfield. if anybody wants to ride kinda slow and check out the scenery, i'm always looking for a companion.

laissez le bon temps rouler, yall.
Welcome to our little hole in the wall.

I really need to work on my goal of getting my SP-500 road legal.

As far as riding slow and checking out the scenery, I'm all for it, but don't let HBN lead .

Old 12-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #415
DrLewall
Banned

Oddometer: 32,121
Quote:
Howdy ya'll... just skimmed through this thread and ya'll seem like a fun bunch....I'm thinking ya'll might like to come visit over here where the REAL hillbillies are and enjoy some gnarly trails or the hundreds of miles of...
Howdy Hi from Arkansas! You need to bring that DR down here in MAY for the SLAP..we will try and keep the banjo music to a minimum, try I said!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #416
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Thanks

Thankee for the welcomes boys. Sorry to hear of the DS deficiency but that can be fairly easily remedied, no? A plated SP500 shouldn't be too hard to swing here in good 'ol Mizzerra... if your local DMV is anything like the easy-going Ma & Pa style DMV we have here. And everyone's related to the one guy in town who does the inspections.

In any case, I do have the Bandit for asphalt adventuring with my 'dirt-handicapped' buds.

I've though about the SLAP before, y'know. Might actually do it one 'o these days. As long as ya'll play LOTS of banjo music! Maybe I'll strap the beater guitar on my back for the ride down and join in if'n ya'll don't care... ?
DirtyDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #417
DrLewall
Banned

Oddometer: 32,121
Quote:
Maybe I'll ride down and join in if'n ya'll don't care... ?
C'mon!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #418
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
Howdy Hi from Arkansas! You need to bring that DR down here in MAY for the SLAP..we will try and keep the banjo music to a minimum, try I said!
You had me at banjo music!
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #419
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

It's too nice of a day this close to the holidays to be stuck at work .

I couldn't stop myself from riding in today . Now all I have to figure out is how to put some more miles before it gets dark.

By the way we all need to offer HBN a good razzing for almost face planting this morning. Something to do with being a hooligan with underinflated tires.

Gray Dragon screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 09:29 AM
Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #420
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Yeah, I had a life experience this morning on my way into work. I hit a corner that I normally rail at 50+mph at 45mph and my rear tire broke traction near the apex. I slid the rear out to the right and stood the bike up to apply front brake while there was a slight tank slapper going on. Somehow, I managed to keep the rubber side down and on the road.

I continued on to work, just like I had meant to do that awesome powerslide out of the corner because I had witnesses! Of course, my heart rate and blood pressure were through the roof.

I really need to sell my hooligan bike before I get myself hurt and buy one of them there fancy DS bikes.
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote