ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #466
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
why would I trailer a bike?

It's not a harley, the WR250 is meant to ride.... I will keep watching this forum, and let you guys know when heading down for a ride. I really want to ride the glade top trail and others in that area.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #467
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyNinja
You know, I've floated teh Current, Jack's Fork, Black, White, Elk, Big and Little Sugar and never once been on the 11 point. It's on my to do list this year.
It's one of the more scenic rivers around, especially if you start at Greer. In the spring rainy season it's possible to put in further upstream at Thomasville, but then the river gets pretty gnarly later on downstream that time of year.
The fishing is excellent. Above Turner Mill is artificial bait only, there's some big trout in there. From Greer to Riverton is a full day's float, Some faster water in places but nothing much above Class II rapids, and good fishing. If you want a nice 3-4 hour float, do Turner Mill to Whitten. It's also the most scenic, with high rock cliffs and Bald Eagles circling above.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #468
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore
It's not a harley, the WR250 is meant to ride.... I will keep watching this forum, and let you guys know when heading down for a ride. I really want to ride the glade top trail and others in that area.
Just testin' ya about the trailer thing. Good answer.

"Glade top trail"? Haven't heard that name, though I might've ridden it without knowing. Where does it run?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #469
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
It's one of the more scenic rivers around, especially if you start at Greer. In the spring rainy season it's possible to put in further upstream at Thomasville, but then the river gets pretty gnarly later on downstream that time of year.
The fishing is excellent. Above Turner Mill is artificial bait only, there's some big trout in there. From Greer to Riverton is a full day's float, Some faster water in places but nothing much above Class II rapids, and good fishing. If you want a nice 3-4 hour float, do Turner Mill to Whitten. It's also the most scenic, with high rock cliffs and Bald Eagles circling above.
Thanks for the info. I like to do 2-3 day floats if at all possible and camp on the river banks. I absolutely love gnarly class 2 and class 3 rapids. Looks like a spring trip is in order.
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #470
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

upper buffalo river

For the best rapids and scenery, check out the upper buffalo in spring, or anytime after a recent rain. From the low water bridge at Ponca, there are 49 rapids, the most I have ever canoed over, lots are II. Floated the upper after a week of rain in October. High bluffs, great fishing for bass, and the tallest waterfall in ozarks.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #471
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
For the best rapids and scenery, check out the upper buffalo in spring, or anytime after a recent rain. From the low water bridge at Ponca, there are 49 rapids, the most I have ever canoed over, lots are II. Floated the upper after a week of rain in October. High bluffs, great fishing for bass, and the tallest waterfall in ozarks.
I've been there and love the Buffalo also. I'm thinking perhaps there should be an ADV float/fish/camp trip in the near future.
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #472
NechesBobcat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
I've been there and love the Buffalo also. I'm thinking perhaps there should be an ADV float/fish/camp trip in the near future.
I'm all for that!
NechesBobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #473
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Buffalo river/Oachita nf/etc

So many good spots in ar for dual sport riding. A camp/float on the buffalo would be tops though. Set something up, I am in.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #474
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oh2RideMore, you got my curiousity goin', so:

Quote:
"Glade top trail"? Haven't heard that name, though I might've ridden it without knowing. Where does it run?
Does that run the highlands plateau area east of West Plains?

Anybody want to set up an Eleven Point float I'll be glad to help out with the logistics, I know the river fairly well. If you rent canoes, don't go to Richard's by Greer, go the the place in Alton (Eleven Point Canoe Rental) at the corner of 160 and 19N... better rates and very accomodating.

HBN, if you want a 2-day float, Greer to Riverton is your best bet. Plenty of nice camping spots along that stretch.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #475
HillbillyNinja OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh2RideMore, you got my curiousity goin', so:

Does that run the highlands plateau area east of West Plains?

Anybody want to set up an Eleven Point float I'll be glad to help out with the logistics, I know the river fairly well. If you rent canoes, don't go to Richard's by Greer, go the the place in Alton (Eleven Point Canoe Rental) at the corner of 160 and 19N... better rates and very accomodating.

HBN, if you want a 2-day float, Greer to Riverton is your best bet. Plenty of nice camping spots along that stretch.
Looks like a winner, I was just looking at the river map last night. I own two canoes, so I bring my own. Do the outfitters down there portage private canoes?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #476
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

glade top, and alton canoe rental

Have not ridden the glade top, but have read the ride reports of it. See this page:
http://www.ozarkmtns.com/foliage/gladetop.asp

As for canoe rental on eleven point, I always used the eleven point canoe rental at that intersection 160 and 19. Very nice folks, let you camp for free in yard if you want to. Got caught down there 2 years ago in severe storms with flash floods, lightning and tornadoes. Spent most of the night reading on their porch, then went to tent for sleep. Last year rode down early morning from STL, then floated 20 miles using kayaks, then rode back for a 400 mile day. The NF campgrounds along the rivers are secluded and down rough gravel roads, but they get rained on constantly during summer. The rain follows the river valley.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #477
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Quote:
Looks like a winner, I was just looking at the river map last night. I own two canoes, so I bring my own. Do the outfitters down there portage private canoes?
I'm guessin' they would... but you can call them and ask: (417) 778-6497
Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #478
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Quote:
Have not ridden the glade top, but have read the ride reports of it. See this page:
http://www.ozarkmtns.com/foliage/gladetop.asp
Thanks. Never been on that one, it's a ways north of here. Looks like a good one, have to check it out... maybe in the spring or late fall when there's not much cage traffic.

Most of the runs I do around here I found by exploring on my own, or looking at my Oregon County Plat Map for connecting loops and then go ride them. Akways more than I bargained for, as you can get lost easy down in these hollers. Never failed to find my way out yet... and now I have the IMS tank to get me in deeper than ever!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #479
JED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
So many good spots in ar for dual sport riding. A camp/float on the buffalo would be tops though. Set something up, I am in.
Me Too. JED
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #480
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
Well my bikes are all street oriented, but I'm not afraid (might be dumb) to take them down a dirt road. So I'm a definite possibility.

Never buy a fur coat from a man being chased by a naked bear.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote