User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 04:38 AM   #16
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,706
I forgot to mention - I did the update (both times) without using WebUpdater, I manually downloaded it.

I subsequently *did* run WebUpdater, because that's the only way I know to update the GPS chipset software.

I may just run WebUpdater again and reinstall 3.90 just to be sure.

Eidt: reloaded via WebUpdater. We'll see how it works. I'm going on a trip next week...
http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 05-02-2009 at 04:49 AM
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:20 AM   #17
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
I ran the updates from the webupdater. No problems.

I wasn't going to, but I was walking through Sam's yesterday and saw a 4gig card for $14 so I couldn't pass it up. I can just upload the whole of the US from NT and a bunch of R&R segments for states I usually ride and be done with the map uploads.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #18
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
My 3.90 experience

I believe the following experience is related to the 3.90 change: I have a 60csx and provide IT support for LDF's 76cx. Sometime shortly after it was released I applied the update to both units, previously working perfectly with 2gb cards, in anticipation of using 4gb cards. I used the 60csx with a 2gb card last weekend to navigate the TNJT and it worked flawlessly.

I turned my attention this week to loading maps and routes and waypoints onto both units for Mobius III. I had bought two 4gb cards, one for each. I created two mapsets, one for riding locally around the NE US which was comprised of sections of CNNA 2010 and Topo 2008 which I loaded onto two 2GB cards (1 for the 60 & 1 for the 76), and a second mapset for Mobius III which consisted of AZ, NV, UT, OR, and CA segments of CNNA 2010, Topo 2008, Topo West 24k, and individual free topo maps for AZ, UT, and NV from gpsfiledepot.com. This mapset I loaded onto two 4GB cards for primary use, and two 2gb cards to carry as back-ups.

Well, after all was said and done, there was a problem: After powering down the 76cx the only way to get it to fire back up would be to unplug the usb cable, and remove a battery. Then it would start back up. Testing once it was restarted revealed no obvious abberations.

Having two units makes troubleshooting significantly easier. The 60csx was working fine with the 4gb card, however when I swapped in the 2gb back-up, it exhibited the same behaviour as the 76cx. Putting the 60's 4gb card into the 76 fixed the problem for that unit.

5 of the 6 sd cards initially were causing the problem. Interrogating the faulty cards with Mac's disk utility revealed nothing. Reformatting one card to Fat32 and reloading the maps didn't solve the problem. Zeroing out the data (god that takes a long 'effing time) and reformatting the card to Fat32 and reloading the maps didn't solve the problem... But this did:

I used the GPS's USB Data storage function to access the sd card on the 'puter -- NOT an external card reader (I know, its a lot slower). I reformatted the offending cards as a Mac OS journaled disk. I ran disk first aid and made sure it was fine (they all were). I reformatted the card as Fat32. I ran disk first aid agian and repaired any problems -- (most had something about next free node not free??).

I then unmounted and remounted the Fat32-formatted disk, and reran disk first-aid until it was consistently squeaky clean. I unmounted the sd card, and rebooted the GPS and made sure that the unit would cycle off-on correctly. THEN, and only then did I reload the map set. At that point, it didn't seem to matter if I let the MapInstall program load it up, or if I just copied the Garmin folder containing the map image file directly from my hard drive onto the mounted sd card.

I'm not sure, (and don't particularly care) which parts of that ritual were necessary and which were voodoo . But it worked. 5 out of 5 offending cards are now swappable into each of the two units, and everything is humming.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #19
tbirdsp
REMF

When WebUdater came out I had lots of problems with it (can't remember what though). That's why I normally just do the updates manually. Probably just use updater from now on...
Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,444
Dr Rock, I had a similar problem following the update to 3.90 on my 60CSx.
The first mapset I loaded seemed to be fine, under 2Gb in size but right on the 2025 limit for map segments. The unit recognised the 4gb card but not the mapset. I had to remake the mapset, this time with around 1980 map segments, and reload it to the card. then it worked OK. Beats me.

I used the web updater program to install mine and it seemed to work first time. I did have a little green progress bar appear at startup for the first few startups, but that has gone away now, and I have no idea what it was signifying anyway. Again, beats me.

GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Yeah, I saw that green progress bar as well. It's gone now.

I tested the auto-route recalculating on both units. They passed with flying colors.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #22
tbirdsp
REMF

More weirdness - I loaded a file for an upcoming ride. I never did anything with my maps that are already loaded on my 2 gb card. Right in the middle of loading I hear a long BEEP and the 60Cx screen says "Database Error"
I cleared everything (not maps) out of the GPS and turned it off and back on, plus closed and reopened my Mapsource file. Loaded again and all looks OK.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #23
Neurot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
60CSX shuts down

So I have a 2 year old 60CSX that I recently upgraded the firmware on. Ever since when it tries to calculate a route 90% of the time the screen fades and turns off. Sometimes when you turn it back on it has magically calculated the route or other times immediately starts recalculating. I've read some other threads that claim that its the battery contact but I seriously doubt this given my circumstances. Any body else have this issue?? It's driving me nuts.
Neurot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #24
Neurot
Adventurer

More searching reveals that others have the same issue with 3.90. Reverted back to 3.70 and I hope it is resolved. Very frustrating issue.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #25
Neurot
Adventurer

Just wondering who else has the recalculation shutoff issue with 3.90? I upgraded and it would 90% of the time shut off with 3.90. I did not use the webupdater to update though and I was using the older 2.90 SRIF chipset SW. I just now used the webupdater to load 3.9 firmware and the 2.9 SRIF SW and I have calculated about 10 different routes sitting here at my desk and none of them have failed yet. I'm gonna try it out on the road later this week and see if it really does fix it the issue. It would be nice to have working 4gb support.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #26
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurot
So I have a 2 year old 60CSX that I recently upgraded the firmware on. ...
Merged with the 3.9 issues thread

Dave
ADV Mod

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #27
wesseld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Dead 60CSx

I just updated my 60CSx tonight from 3.7 to 3.9, and as soon as the webupdate finished, the unit shut off. Now I can't turn the darn thing back on. When I press the power button, there is a dim flash on the screen but nothing else. Same thing when I press the power button a second time. I had fresh known good batteries when I did the update, so that can't be the problem.

Any ideas? I'll probably call Garmin tomorrow in any case. I just had a feeling that I shouldn't apply this update...

Don
wesseld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #28
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Remove the microSD card and try again to switch it on.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #29
wesseld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I finally got the thing working again, but I had to downgrade back to 3.70. I found a website (of course, I can't find it now, but when I do, I'll post it) that explained how to make the GPS show up as a device for the PC to see it. Basically, you hold down the power button and the up arrow, then start the updater and let it run, all while still holding down the buttons. I got sore fingers from it, but the thing works again. Bad news was that it completely erased the GPS and changed all the settings back to factory default. Luckily I had the SD card out so I didn't lose the maps.

Thanks,

Don
wesseld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #30
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesseld
I just updated my 60CSx tonight from 3.7 to 3.9, and as soon as the webupdate finished, the unit shut off. Now I can't turn the darn thing back on. When I press the power button, there is a dim flash on the screen but nothing else. Same thing when I press the power button a second time. I had fresh known good batteries when I did the update, so that can't be the problem.

Any ideas? I'll probably call Garmin tomorrow in any case. I just had a feeling that I shouldn't apply this update...

Don
I think your unit is actually on but the screen defaulted to a really dim setting. I don't have mine in front of me right now but take your batteries out to make sure it is off, put them back in, turn the unit on the way you normally do, press the power button one more time, and then toggle the brightness switch (that round button with the four "arrows" on it). From memory, I think it is the up "arrow" that you press and your screen will get brighter.

If this isn't exactly how to do it look up in your manual how to make the screen brighter and just follow the instructions, although you will be working with a dark screen.

Hope this works.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote