User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #1501
bikefree
misadventurer

Oddometer: 272
my support

I don't care if you change bikes every time you enter a new country. Keep movin' forward. This is a great adventure and I'm looking forward to the book.

Bart Simpson

bikefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #1502
BarkALot
inhabitant

Oddometer: 212
Nate. you're going to evolve your own sense of what constitutes "orginal engine".. but here's my 2 cents

All engines use parts up.. oil for example.. You wouldn't expect to do 20,000 kays on the same oil.. Or spark plugs.

The same could be said for bearings, or piston rings.. changing worn parts in an engine doesn't make it any less original or any less Dot.

If my heart needed new valves, or I need knee/hip replacement, it wouldn't make me any less original.

Best of luck sorting it out.. It's been a fantastic trip to read about and I appreciate you taking the time to document it..

Cheers, Tim
and grace, too
BarkALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #1503
LazyLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I have enjoyed the many faces of Nate. We are now seeing a man who is done playing games. The mission is clear. Anyone else notice that now he is back to riding and done with sitting around the city that things look clearer?

Travel on Nate. Are your Converse gonna make it to the end or do you need another pair yet?

LazyLion screwed with this post 09-11-2009 at 09:44 AM
LazyLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #1504
Daleah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Another Supporter

Nathan, very well said. It's easy to 2nd guess from the bleachers. Making decisions as the ground passes under your feet is a different ball game completely.

Maybe I'm slow, but your conversation about how Dorothy is the spirit of travel got me to thinking: You are with Dorothy, you were in Oz, and now you're trying to get home. You are wearing a pair of black converse. Along your trip you have encountered many strange and wonderful things. And you have met people who have helped you and people that have tried to stop you. The parallels are astounting if you look at them. When you start to see flying monkeys, you better watch out. Anyway, maybe you should call your book "The REAL Wizard of Oz".

(ok maybe the black converse -> ruby slippers are a stretch, but you get the point).
Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #1505
Tesla314
>_<

Oddometer: 130
Ride Your Own Ride

For every hundred people that set out on a ride, there are a hundred ways to do it. Each of us here would do this ride slightly differently from one another. Doesn't make my way the right way, it makes my way the right way for me.

Do what makes you happy.

What's the point of a life-changing soul-searching journey if you don't do what feels right to you?

Tesla314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #1506
badcherrys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I've spent weeks reading this thread!! It is amazing!!!!!!!

Im sorry to hear about Dot

Stay strong. that old girl Dot will look after you, like you look after her.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #1507
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
You have heard the phrase "It' not the destination, but the journey"

that quote applies here better than any quip I could come up with.

RIDE ON! your epic journey will go down in history with the great rides of the times. However you need to do it your way, its your deal. Thanks for sharing it with us.

dman

IT'S ALL GOOD!

D-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #1508
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Nate,

this site is full of fat losers in debt to their eyeballs, who haven't gotten laid in years, who believe their miserable lives are better when they try to control others lives, who think an adventure is riding down a local dirt road - the same road grandma will drive her Chevrolet on to go to the doctor on Monday. Ignore these pricks. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. They aren't worth any emotional energy.

This site is also full of really nice people who wish you the best and who hope to one day have an adventure such as yours. We wish you well and hope to build on what we've learned from you. I've learned so much (and even bought a Honda C70 because of you).

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #1509
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
"You can tell by the clanking and temporary seizures"

Your loosing power and then the above happens. Check the electrical grounds. One loose ground could mimic this.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #1510
OneBall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
That's it Nate stick two fingers up to the know it all muppets. It's your journey and you and only you have made it this far, you will make it the rest of the way. And anyway, if Dot can survive being ridden by an Aussie postman in a previous life, she can survive anything.
OneBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #1511
pablito
KLRer in SF

Oddometer: 16
Nate,

So glad to hear you and Dot are still charging on.

Just got back from month long trip in Turkey and just catching up on the ride report; truly inspiring.

All the best, Paul
pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #1512
smokeysloth
Chronic Bike Trader

Oddometer: 84
still reading.... and still rooting for ya. Bring'er on home fruitloop!

smokeysloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #1513
amazing ricardo
Piste Off

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowakz
Anyway, maybe you should call your book "The REAL Wizard of Oz".
there is only one name that really fits.........

...Goin' Postal...

just sayin'...
amazing ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #1514
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950
Nate,

this site is full of fat losers in debt to their eyeballs, who haven't gotten laid in years, who believe their miserable lives are better when they try to control others lives, who think an adventure is riding down a local dirt road - the same road grandma will drive her Chevrolet on to go to the doctor on Monday. Ignore these pricks. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. They aren't worth any emotional energy.

This site is also full of really nice people who wish you the best and who hope to one day have an adventure such as yours. We wish you well and hope to build on what we've learned from you. I've learned so much (and even bought a Honda C70 because of you).
Indeed. It seems like such a drag when I see you responding to these yobbos. I feel bad for you, and even them for their pathetic insecurity. I bought a 1970 CT-90 because I have been shopping for either that or a Super Cub for years, but you & Dot were the catalyst. Thank you for sharing your marvelous adventure!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #1515
rednax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
failure ?

went to India by hitching and riding lokal buses in 73. Failure ? Shit, no way! One of the greatest adventures of my life. Made me carry "dottie" inside uptill now. What an adventure you´re having! What a trip! Good on you man!
rednax is offline   Reply With Quote