Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #1576
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking
Damn Nate, now that you are nearing the finish line I am starting to wonder what I am going to do for my adventure fix without these posts to wake up to.
I am sure we can send him off on some wild goose chase once he gets dot reworked,.

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #1577
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Poland sounds like you won't be passing by after all, with Germany being where it is

But if Dot's well, all is well.

Cheers, and ride on!
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #1578
Daleah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Damn Nate, now that you are nearing the finish line I am starting to wonder what I am going to do for my adventure fix without these posts to wake up to.
+1 this is the first post I check every morning + a couple of times through the day (lame desk jockey).

I have to live vicariously through the feats of others.

Cheers Nate, can you smell the channel yet?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #1579
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,482
I guess you would have to start your own adventure to keep yourself and us entertained. Is there a part of the world you haven't been to yet?

Quote:

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #1580
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,658
I hope you decide to continue the journey once you get to London and have nice rest, and come over to North America to make an all the way around trip.
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #1581
gez0808
n00b

Oddometer: 1
wait for me

You are a man of my own heart, i have just started my own group, we are called the RED RIDING HOODZ (postie bike luvers) enjoy the experience and stay upright
Gerry
gez0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #1582
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,958

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #1583
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Thumb Awesome!

Yup... what everyone else said.

Go Dot Go Nathan

Cheers
Allan
Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #1584
BlackRook
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Go Dot Go!

Nathan and Dot just keep going and going and going....

You are in the home stretch stay focused and Dot will pull you through mate.

DOT = Delivered on Time!

BlackRook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #1585
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,308
Poland!

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #1586
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
What d'ya know, I had a 5am wake up call to get on the road early, flipped on the laptop for some music while I was packing and up flashes a weak wifi connection.

So I've delayed my departure a bit in order to say hit to my mum and tell her what clothes to bring down to London on the 26th. Already they're stressing about getting the bike from London to the north where I'm from and where we're going to stay. But who cares, we'll be home and that's all that matters.

Now about this service. For a start Poland is a completely different fish to Ukraine, Russia and Kazakhstan. It's modern and hip, heck it even has ppaintball. And if a place has paintball then it also has enough piece and serenity for me not to feel that I have to rush the whole way through. And I think that was the problem since Kyrgyszstan; I just didn't want to stop in any of the countires, I just wanted to dash through them as quick as I could until I touched ground on the safer soil of Europe. It wasn't that they were inrtimidating or unfriendly, more that I didn't want to break down there or feel I'd come to a stop. So I ignored the advice of everyone and just kept on riding Dot.

Until yesterday.

I tried a few places who were either closed or no good, until finally, in one city I saw it; the big red 'H'. There it was, a dealership for motorbikes just like mine. And so for the next three hours they checked valve clearances and carbuerettors, fed me all kinds of reasons why she'd be losing power; dirty fuel, valve clearance too tight, too much oil on the air filter. All that they put right, even pressure tested her and spannered everything tight.

And you know what.

She rode exactly the same. The same reluctance to go beyond 55, the same lack of refinement and vibration excess. Everything exactly the same. Fuck, what could it be? And then I remembered something that I've not told you until now. I think it could be the route of all Dorothy's problems. Okay, here it is; my confession...

In Kazakhstan I let her run low on oil. Later that day she started clunking. She's not been the same since.

There, I said it. And Dorothy I am so so so very sorry. What an idiot... low on oil, having come this far. Dickhead.
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #1587
OldOzy
Banned

Oddometer: 4,055
I just nursed a 62 year old norton 1000 miles doing exactly the same thing except she missed a bit at 55.
I've fitted a new exhaust guide, 20 bucks.
runs like brand new,

Keep going Nate she'll limp home.
OldOzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #1588
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

You know Mr Ozy, I think she will.

Though damn it, I've just guided her out of the motel garage and ripped off her toothbrush sump plug protecter in the process. That's gonna take more tie wraps and just maybe a piece of string!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #1589
exes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Don't be too hard on yourself...we all make mistakes and overlook things sometimes. You have accomplished so much, it is amazing. I for one have complete faith that you and Dot will make it home and if she needs freshened up a bit before your next adventure, so be it.

I am so looking forward to you and Dot coming to the USA...I really hope that happens.

I wish that I could be in Dover in person to welcome you both home, but I will be there in spirit!

Be Safe.
exes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #1590
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey Monkey,

Can't respond to your message for some reason - shit connection I think - but I'm orginnaly from Mansfield in Nottingham but my folks now live in Yorkshire, near Scarborough, and that's where I'll be living when I get back, in the writer's shed my dad's hopefully building out back.

I spoke to him this morning. He's on red alert waiting for the call to bring the old engine from the C90. He's done his research and knows it should slot straight into Dot should she suffer the worst.

And if that were to happen I can think of no better way of riding this bird home. You see it was that bike I bought in London when I was looking for ways/excuses/ to get back to sydney for the girl I was missing. I thought heck, if I buy a moped and ride it all the way to Australia I can sweep her off her feet and ride a blazing sunset together.

Only I bottled it and took the plane instead. It was quicker, cheaper.

Since then she's been sat in the shed, dormant, waiting for her master to return and fire her back into life.

So you see, to have her soul power Dorothy the rest of the way back would be the most fitting end to this whole damn adventure that I can ever think. But Dorothy's going to make it. So none of this matters.