Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #2086
slabbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Great effort Nath, best read I've had for a long time. Took just over 3 days read, best days I've ever had at work ;)
slabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #2087
Zim1
XT660R

Oddometer: 4
Legend i say..
Zim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #2088
hilld
riding isn't an addiction

Oddometer: 268
I just spent most of my day reading this. Wow, you da man along with a good gal. I envy you and I look forward to your book.

Derek
Old 11-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #2089
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Hey fellas,

Not dropped by for a while but just checked in to what I've been missing. Thanks for the last comments, cool that people are still reading.

Not much to report. I'm slowly getting there with the book but it's hard graft. If it was just a simple motorbike trip it'd be a bit easier but there's a few other elements i'm trying to thread in which is slowing me down. I'm now in Indonesia being hit by buses.

It's getting a bit chilly in the shed thought. I've not been sleeping in it as much but still do the occassional night to keep the sense of still being on the road.

I had a ride out on Dot the other day but not far. She's doing fine and it looks like I'll be able to get all the parts here in England. That'll save having them flown in.

And soon she might be famous. It's too early to be sure but there's a very slight chance Honda Australia might be using her image as an example of their endurance. I was so sick of them ignoring me that I took my campaign to have them recognise her efforts the next level. And hopefully it'll have paid off. I suggested she'd make a perfect poster girl for the side of bus shelters. We'll see.

We've also got a bit more coverage in a couple of other mags coming out. RiDE here in the UK and hopefully Two Wheel in Oz. Similair lines to the Top Gear piece, which I'm not sure how you get in America. I thought they sold it over there but it doesn't seem like it. Can you order it online?

And is anybody going to the NEC motorcycle show at the end of this month. I was going to head down one day and wondered if anyone else was going so I wasn't on my lonesome.

No news on any other trip yet. Been looking at the distance of the pan-America. Pretty big. 30,000 miles as I make it. Dot'll need a need chain before that at the very least. And clean. When I took her out the other day we diid a bit of back-laneing and got filthy. She's a bit frisky on the slick front tyre but we didn't come off.

Anyway, that's it, nowt else to tell ya. Just going to crank up the Ryan Adams and try and tap out some more Indonesian words before I go to bed.

See you when I see you.

Nate and Dotty.
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #2090
Moto One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Thanks for the update.

Mark.
Moto One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #2091
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 256
Thanks for stopping by bud, glad to see you are still at it. I bet in some ways this is tougher than the trip. The warm glow from your folks house calling you in for a nice cuppa. When you're on the road there ain't no other options, so you play the hand you're dealt. The shed can only do so much to recreate that feeling...

Again, don't forget the vids, even if it's an Editors Cut version or something. Sell a tin set version with extra pics, the vids, and some raggedy old toothbrushes! Instant collectors item!!

If you are this side of the pond (Charlotte, North Carolina area) lemme know. Would love to buy you a pint.

Ta.
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #2092
Kent Shaun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Nate lad, my 1958 BSA Golden Flash is now in a container, and this very Monday it'll be on a ship steaming to Christchurch New Zealand. I hope I can do as good a yarn as you did, keep popping in to let us know how things are, and keep your eyes peeled. Who knows? I MIGHT be able to post my trip on here, while I'm over there, only trouble with that plan is... BEER! I do enjoy it
Kent Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #2093
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
In US, they sell Ride magazine from UK at Borders (book store).
Old 11-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #2094
ExHD
Le Frog

Oddometer: 46
Nathan.
Thanks for the update. As always, very appropriate and funny.
Where is NEC this year? I might pay a visit.
(I know I could check their site but isn't it more friendly to talk about it on this thread!).
ExHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #2095
Thriller5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
That was quite brave of you! I wouldn't even know where to start if I went overseas on my bike. Great pictures!
Thriller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #2096
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Greetings from the shed this cold and windy day.

Crap weather in England as usual. Not much to report, just slow progress as usual. Theotherwhitemeat was right, it was so much easier doing the trip than writing about it. It's just so hard to keep track of what's already been said and what's going to be said when you're writing your current sentance. I'm struggling, but I'm getting there. I can't remember if I've said but I can get all of Dorothy's bits in England which is cool.

Right...

Errr... Motorcycle Shows starts this thursday. I've seen that there's a touring/adventure stand which should be quite interesting. It's got all the companies selling organised tours. I sent the organisers a cheeky email to see if I could take Dorothy along but no joy. Never mind.

And yeah, I'd heard RiDE went stateside. It's going to be in the next issue, due in a few weeks. Not sure if that'll be December or January.

I've got some other news, not magazine related which I'll tell you about another time. It's the best bit about the whole trip. At least for me anyway.

For now I've been digging through my old photos and found a few more, mainly of Dorothy in Indonesia.

And don't forget Dorris. Check out how clean the Converse were back then. Day 1.

Most of these are from indonesia. For me this was probably the best riding country of them all. So much to see and so far off the beaten track in so much of it you really do feel like you're exploring rather than following the tourist trail. It was probably the hardest country as well cause at that time I was really nervous about being in Asia. i'd never been before I guess I was throwing myself in at the deep end. So all these people hassling me was totally new. It was also the first quarter of the trip when I'd not got much experience of being on the road and was full of nerves. I hated it a lot of the time. And finding a way to get the bike from Indonesia to Malaysia was probably the biggest challenge in all of it. In the end Dorothy went on a vegetable boat after I'd been introduced to a man in a warehouse. He screwed me over by having me pay again at the other end before he'd give me Dorothy back. But they were valuable lessons I learned in Indonesia and the minute I'd left the place behind I immediately changed from hating it to loving it. A lot of people seem to leave it out and ship Malaysia to Oz but I really think if you can do Indonesia you should. Good memories of that place.

Ta

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 11-21-2009 at 09:35 AM
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #2097
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Nate

Just checkin in - after watching Eng lose to NZ @ Twickenham (live web feed)

Man I miss watching live rugby in England - pints after games @ White Swan over looking the Thames...

maybe next year..

anywho > will look for Ride mag here

Keep Writing & look forward to ur America tour - remember I buy pints in NYC...
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #2098
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,303
We should have a subforum under Ride Reports called "Hall of Fame"... I nominate this thread... awesome!

Definitely some front page pics in this one!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #2099
Louisg
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hall of Fame

I second on the Hall of Fame. We could start with Ozymandias, then add Nathan and Dot, Sambor in Afghanistan, then the best from other travelers with good writing and super photos that help us understand the art of Motorcycling and the world around us.
Louisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:28 AM   #2100
FES
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Nice Pictures!

Nate, those pics are so refreshing, for us readers too. It's like the few pages you skipped by mistake while reading a book, or you're not sure if you read them. Indonesia looks off the beaten track allright.

Look, that monkey's got balls. Wait, are those monkey balls in that soup . Damn asians ( no offense here).

Enjoy your shed, as much as you can. Old Man' winter has arrived here in the Western US, you don't wanna be caught somewhere in Alaska or Canada now, eh! Look at this downtime like when you where back on the trip waiting on your Iranian visa or a path to open. You're just waiting for weather to clear out in your way, and you're writing a book as you're waiting.

Take care mate, nice to here from you again.

FES
FES is offline   Reply With Quote