Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #2116
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,398
Nate, just write it like you would say it when telling it to a buddy.
When you would stop for a beer is when you end one chapter and start the next. Your thread reads great, just cut, paste and touch it up a bit.

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #2117
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
What an incredible ride report.....just incredible. Wow!
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #2118
Maggno
Ride hard...

Oddometer: 273
I'm still on page 2. Can't wait to catch up to page 106.
Awesome ride report. I'm in...
20 Parties and 132 days around the world
Maggno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #2119
Scalpel 3000
Proficient Scootering

Oddometer: 181
Nathan,

I hope the book goes well, and that you are staying warm. To you, and to everyone on ADV, Happy Holidays!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scalpel3000/4184254642/
Scalpel 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #2120
WildsideRider
Cruiser Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
First post!

Hey Nathan...and Dot. This is my first post on this site, I just found your story last week and spent the last few days reading it, just wanted to say...freaking awesome!!! It has inspired me to start thinking about going on some longer rides/adventures. Anyway, just wanted to say your story rocks and can't wait to get a copy of the book!!
WildsideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #2121
HugoBLISS
here and gone....

Oddometer: 69
HugoBLISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #2122
Oldschoolorange
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
That was an amazing read. Have you open the engine up yet to find the source of the vibration? Is that the original front tire?
Oldschoolorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #2123
el guapo nada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
3 Cheers for Nathan and DOT!!!

I think what you have accomplished and shared with the world (thus far) is simply amazing. I thank you for having such a positive effect in a world full of negativity. It occurred to me, after reading the full report, that you are changing the "world" of people who are fortunate enough to have come across your ongoing story...myself included. I sang Happy Birthday to DOT out loud...couldn't help myself, and I'm sure pretty much everyone here did the same. As people are going on your journey for the first time they are doing the same.....a potentially endless birthday sing-a-long for DOT. Pretty cool...

I am going to get my 14 year old son to read/share in your travels, and hope that he gains inspiration to actively seek out and find and live his DOT. We just started dirtbiking together this summer, so the chances are good he'll find it on two wheels. I know I do, although I don't think I've quite found my "sweet" ride yet........

I also wanted to echo the post by SloSolo2 concerning the 40kph thing....Yesterday I found myself in the nastiest 'ole commute to work...45 miles of I-84 smack dab in the Gorge (a notoriously bad stretch of highway in the winter, often closed) with 6 inches of wet snow, unplowed. Why it wasn't closed, I don't know. The fastest I ever got up to was 40 mph, and that trip which normally took me 40 minutes took me 90! I thought, wow, Nathan and DOT.....wow.......

It seems that slowing down is "somewhat" one of the messages in your travels....and I must say, I hope it starts to catch on....the world wouldn't suffer the worse for it....

Again, much thanks Nathan! Much thanks DOT! Hope to see and share more of your adventures soon!

Your pal in The Dalles,

Brian
el guapo nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #2124
pandawa
Nubie

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
Greetings from the shed this cold and windy day.

Crap weather in England as usual. Not much to report, just slow progress as usual. Theotherwhitemeat was right, it was so much easier doing the trip than writing about it. It's just so hard to keep track of what's already been said and what's going to be said when you're writing your current sentance. I'm struggling, but I'm getting there. I can't remember if I've said but I can get all of Dorothy's bits in England which is cool.

Right...

Errr... Motorcycle Shows starts this thursday. I've seen that there's a touring/adventure stand which should be quite interesting. It's got all the companies selling organised tours. I sent the organisers a cheeky email to see if I could take Dorothy along but no joy. Never mind.

And yeah, I'd heard RiDE went stateside. It's going to be in the next issue, due in a few weeks. Not sure if that'll be December or January.

I've got some other news, not magazine related which I'll tell you about another time. It's the best bit about the whole trip. At least for me anyway.

For now I've been digging through my old photos and found a few more, mainly of Dorothy in Indonesia.

And don't forget Dorris. Check out how clean the Converse were back then. Day 1.

Most of these are from indonesia. For me this was probably the best riding country of them all. So much to see and so far off the beaten track in so much of it you really do feel like you're exploring rather than following the tourist trail. It was probably the hardest country as well cause at that time I was really nervous about being in Asia. i'd never been before I guess I was throwing myself in at the deep end. So all these people hassling me was totally new. It was also the first quarter of the trip when I'd not got much experience of being on the road and was full of nerves. I hated it a lot of the time. And finding a way to get the bike from Indonesia to Malaysia was probably the biggest challenge in all of it. In the end Dorothy went on a vegetable boat after I'd been introduced to a man in a warehouse. He screwed me over by having me pay again at the other end before he'd give me Dorothy back. But they were valuable lessons I learned in Indonesia and the minute I'd left the place behind I immediately changed from hating it to loving it. A lot of people seem to leave it out and ship Malaysia to Oz but I really think if you can do Indonesia you should. Good memories of that place.

Ta
Hello there Mr Postman

Thank you that you really enjoyed your time when you're here.
yes we had "unique" custom here. Since our country are archipelago, you will meet different character for people from east to west.

Cheers from Indonesia

http://yufinurcan.wordpress.com
pandawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:02 AM   #2125
BAZIL
Rambler...

Oddometer: 6
Epic brah! Go the Postie!
BAZIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #2126
Rhino Scott
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Very nice trip sir!! i have had a similar experience, though shorter, riding a Honda Cub50(modified engine) overland all the way from Saigon to London which i finished last week. Slow travel is an amazing thing when you have the time and these bikes can go everywhere and some places big bikes cant go! www.rhinoscott.blogspot.com
Rhino Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #2127
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
man, that is one awesome trip... on a 50! Sweet Jesus. Just checked out your blog and it looks like we almost met up a couple of times. If only we'd have known. I heard about the guy on the Vespa doing Paris to Beijing and almost met him on the way as well. Imagine the three of us. That would have been some ride.

I'm not in the Uk at the minute but when I'm back we got to catch up. Where are you based?

PS> Anyone who ordered a t-shirt off the website and hasn't yet got it would you drop me a pmsg because those dick-wod printers are f'ing useless.

PS> cool that people are still reading the thread.

PS> Me and Dorothy are on the move again

PS> I'm back on the pies.
PS> I'm back on the beard trimmer
PS> I'm off it again

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 12-17-2009 at 09:24 AM
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #2128
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
When I was working in the embassy in Delhi, one day in late 2003 or early 2004 2 "old Hippie" type guys showed up and asked for a support letter for an Iranian Visa, which we gave them and chatted a while.

They had riden up from south India with an 150 cc Indian Vespa-Clone with sidecar. The poor scooter didn't look to good.

Later on those guys sent me a photo per mail - they had really made it back to Austria on that little side car scooter !!
asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #2129
samtheman
ADVrider in the making!

Oddometer: 2
Nathan, like many others, I've been inspired to join the forums after reading following your log. A heartfelt congratulations for achieving your goal! I know you may not quite fancy the idea, but you're quite the inspiration for people who wish that they could have not only a similar journey as yours, but an attitude to life such as yours.

Though I take solace in the fact that those many months ago on your leg from Sydney to Brisbane, unbeknown to me, you would have went right passed my place here in Coffs Harbour. See if you can search your vast memories for the Big Banana, I can see it from my place. That alone, for me, puts your whole epic journey in perspective. For a relatively sheltered rider such as myself, with dreams an aspirations to see the world in a similar manner, a ride form Sydney to Brisbane along the Pacfic Highway is a challenge in itself. But you, my friend, are my hero.

Every postie that I see from now on will remind me of Dot (bless her heart for getting you there and beyond!)

I hope that one day we cross paths somewhere in the middle of nowhere and I've got a six-pack in a cooler strapped to the back.

Ride on, my friend.
samtheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #2130
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
This has been a long read, and completely worth every second.
Cheers and congrats to the both of you for making it in one piece.

I think Dot can be an inspiration to my "little" honda....
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote