User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #2146
tbird649
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Less is more

Fantastic picture, sums it all up. Cant wait to get myself on the road. Been thinking about what to ride, last year went to Spain on 1956 Triumph. 1300 miles, 1 blown bulb, take what you know ( and love ) The world is my oyster! Like Nathan, I know my bike, and know when she's in trouble. I'm glad your bike isnt any faster, as I'm back on page 76,hopefully I will catch up but I dont want to jump and miss anything.

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #2147
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 259
Happy New Year!

Nate and Dot,
I hope all is well with you both.

Dot,
I know it's a bit cold and lonely up there in the UK while your mate is down under, but that ok ole gal. You have earned the time to cool your heels for a good bit anyway. Relax, enjoy the holiday cheer.

Nate,
Hope all is well down under with your lady friend. And if not, well, at least you know, right? And again, thanks for the story mate. It's meant alot. It's still ricocheting around in my head and passes in front of my eyes a couple times a week still. Keep me from going mad in cubicle hell.

Ta,
AnotherNate
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #2148
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
Well Game Over, someone on this ride report who's name I can't just remember once said sometimes you have to go back to the beginning to make sense of where you've been.
Quote:
Yeah I won't lie it's all about a woman
There's an old saying, "If it has tits or wheels, it's going to give you trouble."

And the postscript to that old saying is that we (guys) are addicted to tits and wheels for a reason, in spite of the trouble, because women and motorcycles / cars / trucks make up such a fulfilling part of our leisure time.

So good luck and Happy New Year and thanks for a cool thread!!
"Obsolete doesn't mean a thing isn't any good--it just means they don't make it anymore" Von Dutch, May 1970
Bladeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #2149
Rectifier
Banned

Oddometer: 30
Terrific, Nathan! Hope you can handle normality and boredom now! Great trip.
Rectifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #2150
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Dot's return

Well, I guess it's been almost a year to the day that me and Dorris set off so I thought I'd mark the occassion by taking Dorothy back to the point at which it all began. Sadly tho I had to take her on the bus.

Jan 2010

Jan 2009

Happy New Year everyone, see you on the road.
x
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #2151
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,601
Happy New Year Nathan!
I hope things are goin good down under.
At least its warm!

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #2152
Kent Shaun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Happy New Year to you to Nate, my New Zealand on a BSA will soon be here, the Bike is now in Picton, sat in a container. I fly out from the UK on the 29th of this very month, I HOPE I can do as good a write up as you? I very much doubt it, and being Gormless I won't be posting my yarn till I return. Keep your eye out for it, something like BSA IN NEW ZEALAND it'll be called?

All the very best lad
Kent Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #2153
OUTBACKMOVIES

Oddometer: n/a
Thumb

Quote:
Hi guys,

Call off the search, mine and Dot's hearts are still alive and kicking. Mine not so much as it's so hot and sweaty, her's a little better as she's just had a litre of fresh oil.

We're still in Varanassi, a place we've been for three days now. We were going to move on this morning but last night I had an email from the People Newspaper responding to one of the postcards I sent. They want to run a full feature and needed me to answer their questions by today. I was over the moon of course, a full feature, in a daily newspaper. Me and Dot. Not quite but nearly famous. Wow.

I've just answered their questions and sent them off, but I hope it's not too late. I met a girl from Latvia who offered to give me a guided tour and couldn't possible refuse. I know I'm in a state of relationship mourning but it sure feels fine to be in the company of a gal.

We went down to the river and watched real people being burned out in the open on bonfires. Five of 'em, roaring all at one time in various pits along the banks of the Ganges. The most incredible sight to see a foot sticking out from the embers roasting like a marshmallow. Sometimes they say you can see heads and everything. Thankfully not today, because even with just a foot I felt ghoulish enough.

It's crazy when you think about it. People, like me, coming to a city made famous by its attraction of a dirty sacred river where they scatter the ashes of the dead. We stand there, gormelss, watching strangers burn.

Or we set our alarm clocks early and take a boat trips along the river to watch people bathe, prey and play in the same watery place. But ho's more disgusting, them or us? As I sat pointing my Canon at a man scrub frolick around in his underpants I was the one left feeling dirty.

But that's India. A total spectacle. Offensive to every sense. But deep down I already feel myself beginning to love it. The cities not so much, as every man is after something from you and will not tell you truth in fear of losing face. Or more likely a sale. So you get pulled this way and that, down alleys and into shops until your mood turns to murder and wish for all the world that the man with the silk shop was on that fire burning.

It makes you guarded and protective in the city, that's why I'm keen to hit the road. In the little villages and normal towns you don't get any of that. Instead they buy you tea and love you for just being there.

But I've had an idea and I'd like your advice. I've always wanted to travel by train in this place, and as this stretch to Delhi is so long and tedious I thought about buying me and Dot a ticket and taking a sleeper all the way. Technically I ask, is that cheating?

PS. I've got pics and vidoes to upload but the connection's so slow I might have to wait til Delhi.

RULES you mean you have RULES on this journey, do what you want and enjoy!
Rick
Old 01-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #2154
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Well, I guess it's been almost a year to the day that me and Dorris set off so I thought I'd mark the occassion by taking Dorothy back to the point at which it all began. Sadly tho I had to take her on the bus.

Jan 2010

Jan 2009

Happy New Year everyone, see you on the road.
x
Look how shiny your Chucks were! Happy 2010 Nathan. Good luck with the sheila!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #2155
OUTBACKMOVIES

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucci
Well I just spent my entire Sunday, from the moment I woke up to now, 1am at night, reading this from page one and watching all your videos. ...even the dancing one.

I really can't accurately express how much you've inspired me. My life has been feeling a bit unfulfilled lately. I really could not explain why, and so could not explain how to remedy it. I too just went through a similar loss as you have. An almost 2 year bond, broken in a moments notice, leaving me by myself in this new city. I also just started life in 'the real world' not too long ago, doing the 9-5 day in and day out. Life has become quite grey and dull.

My quest for that remedy is actually how I stumbled upon your thread here. I felt the need to just get up and get away and go out and experience the world. I thought the best way to do that would be to buy a motorcycle and just ride. So I started looking into where I would want to go and what it would take to do it. I then stumbled across ADVrider via google or something like it. Where I then found your write up.

Well, to make a long story short, your report has been exactly what I was unknowingly looking for. And even if I don't know what it is inside me that feels empty, I now know the procedure I want to take towards fulfilling it.

I've begun planning out my trip through Europe and am now trying to find my perfect riding companion. My Dot.

So thank you. And I'm so glad I got to this before your trip was complete. I can't wait to see your trip through Iran. I'll be here till the end for sure.
You and me both, except I'm going to Bali and Java, Good Luck
Rick
Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #2156
Redhead
Jieserro Mulla-Ga-Noof

Oddometer: 100
Awesome

My wife is flying to Sydney tomorrow for work. 8 weeks

I'll be there in February, hope to rent a postie/moto and run north for a couple days. See what we see.

If your around, I'd get a cup o' Joe with you.
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #2157
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Hey Nate, just seen your article in Ride magazine over here in the Uk.....you media whore
kwakbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #2158
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Haha, so the issue of RiDE's out? Cool. I'll try and get a copy.

And Redhead, for sure mate, I'll still be out here by then so just let us know, and I'll do my best to show you around. Cool idea about the posite. I've looked at a few myself and there's some decent ones around the AU$1,200, which I think is about the same as US$.

All good in the land down under. No shed sadly but I did get a free bed off an old Fijian lady who was giving it away when her son moved out. It's a bit springy, but it'll do.

Missing Dot, I spoke to my dad the other day and he's going to take her head off and see what's up with her. I can get all the parts in England so shouldn't be too big a problem getting her back to fighting fitness.

The book's kind of coming together. A lot lot lot lot lot harder than I thought and so it's with mixed blessing's that it won't be out til next February. Which is poo. But never mind.

Alright, not much else to report really, same old stuff.
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #2159
jscompto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Haha, so the issue of RiDE's out? Cool. I'll try and get a copy.

And Redhead, for sure mate, I'll still be out here by then so just let us know, and I'll do my best to show you around. Cool idea about the posite. I've looked at a few myself and there's some decent ones around the AU$1,200, which I think is about the same as US$.

All good in the land down under. No shed sadly but I did get a free bed off an old Fijian lady who was giving it away when her son moved out. It's a bit springy, but it'll do.

Missing Dot, I spoke to my dad the other day and he's going to take her head off and see what's up with her. I can get all the parts in England so shouldn't be too big a problem getting her back to fighting fitness.

The book's kind of coming together. A lot lot lot lot lot harder than I thought and so it's with mixed blessing's that it won't be out til next February. Which is poo. But never mind.

Alright, not much else to report really, same old stuff.

Cool, keep us updated on the book progress!
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #2160
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Hi Nate, well I subscribe so get it a week or so early, think Aus are about two months or so behind, probably be easier to get your folks to buy a copy and post one out to you
kwakbiker is online now   Reply With Quote