Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #2806
Mulligan
Neighborhood Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Nathan's read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance [http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1265].
I sat and read a book; Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, a document I liked very much until the bit about the author’s bike just being just an assembly of metal and bolts. I said this cannot be. My Dorothy is alive, like you and I. She has a soul, a mood, a manner. To compare her to a can opener is to ignore her very essence, to forget what it is that she’s achieving on this global adventure.
I've been charmed by Nathan's writing, but I've thought his anthropomorphizing of his bike is a bit much. I suspect it's a consequence of living in an atheistic culture. Without religion, people project their spiritual yearnings onto all manner of objects. I'm encouraged by Nathan's recent comment "I couldn't help but conclude that somewhere down the line some love went in to the design of that engine."

If you recognize common ground between "Quality" and "love," that's right in line with what Pirsig was saying in Zen.

Mulligan screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 10:33 PM Reason: Fixed an ambiguous reference.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #2807
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Thanks Mulligan, but I think you're taking it more seriously than I am.

Parts on order, here in a week. Sun's out, good stuff.

nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #2808
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 855
I just finished reading you book for the second time today...

Awesome
ztaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #2809
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Nathan's read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance [http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1265].
I sat and read a book; Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, a document I liked very much until the bit about the authorís bike just being just an assembly of metal and bolts. I said this cannot be. My Dorothy is alive, like you and I. She has a soul, a mood, a manner. To compare her to a can opener is to ignore her very essence, to forget what it is that sheís achieving on this global adventure.
I've been charmed by Nathan's writing, but I've thought his anthropomorphizing of his bike is a bit much. I suspect it's a consequence of living in an atheistic culture. Without religion, people project their spiritual yearnings onto all manner of objects. I'm encouraged by Nathan's recent comment "I couldn't help but conclude that somewhere down the line some love went in to the design of that engine."

If you recognize common ground between "Quality" and "love," that's right in line with what Pirsig was saying in Zen.

Pirsig got smart and traded his leaky Triumph for a Honda Dream!

This from Wiki:
"Pirsig suffered a nervous breakdown and spent time in and out of psychiatric hospitals between 1961 to 1963. He was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and clinical depression as a result of an evaluation conducted by psychoanalysts, and was treated with shock therapy on numerous occasions. "

There were rumors of his suicide but apparently false and the man is living in isolation. There was even a book "about" Pirsig and his thoughts, the author actually spoke at a book signing. I think Pirsig was in attendance??
Way too dark for me ... but I'm sure the highlight of his life was riding round on his bike. Best mental health exercise I know of!!

When I read Zen/Maintenance over 25 years ago ... I skipped over all the "Phadreus" crap and concentrated on the bikes and riding.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #2810
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

I'd have to agree very much Mr Grifter about bike riding being the best mental exercise you can do.

In fact, and I say this only because I've been open about everything else during the course of this report, I went to see a doctor today about the black mood I've been in for quite some time now. Just not been able to shake it off and felt it's grip getting ever tighter to the point at which its started to scare me as to where it might ever stop. The outcome was a pack of pills to take for six months and to check back in for maybe half a dozen more months after that. And I look at them on my desk now, small and white as they are in a foil dispensing packet; and just think; is this the only way? And I think not. At least I hope not. Which is why - fuck what Mulligan might say - I just cannot simply wait to get Dorothy back up on two wheels and take her for a wild meander. For therapy of course.

And can I say that asking for no opinion or recourse from those who think they might know better.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #2811
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman View Post
Which is why - fuck what Mulligan might say - I just cannot simply wait to get Dorothy back up on two wheels and take her for a wild meander. For therapy of course.

And can I say that asking for no opinion or recourse from those who think they might know better.
This is great news Nathan! You've still got S. America to do yet ... and Africa! Perhaps the Ted Simon Foundation can lend some assistance to continuing your explorations and pursuing more writing projects?

As I've posted before ... during my seven years off/on travel throughout Latin America I went on an emotional roller coaster ... always looking for a place where I "fit in". Look for your inspiration Nathan ... something that can sustain your interest/passion beyond the road.

!Que le via bien!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #2812
vwnate1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thumb The Journey Continues Apace

Nathan ;

I've been a Journeyman Mechanic for many years now and the bottom end of the Honda Auto Clutch Tiddlers is *very* robust ~ the only thing that ever kills the big end and crankshaft bearings is DIRTY OIL ~ the near perfect piston you removed , shows Dot has never suffered from this common malady so don't worry .

The Clutch Basket is easy to remove now that you have the special four pronged 3/8" drive tool , all you need now is a clutch basket holder tool or maybe a BIG strap wrench , then it'll come right apart , it only has 30 # Torque on that nut .
Maybe you can hand carry the bottom end to an Honda Shop and they'll remove the nut for a few Quid ? . then have them re - tighten it later after you've cleaned out all the dirt & clutch fibres you'll find as the Clutch Basket is a large , centrifugal oil filter by design .

Mind how the tiny springs go in , it's very easy to mis assemble .

Lastly , Robert Persig had a Honda SUPER HAWK ! not a DREAM . BIG DIFFERENCE although both were terrific Motos .
vwnate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #2813
vwnate1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Power Loss

" Near the end " ~ this is very typical and yes , prolly had much to do with tight valves as the spec. being .002" (.005MM IIRC) , it only takes a little bit to make it loose power .

I don't remember how many miles Dot has on her but I do know that the inexpen$ive timing chain should be replaced every time the head is off because it stretches and this retards the cam timing , *instant* noticible power loss even though she'll start easily and run smooth as silk....
vwnate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #2814
Mulligan
Neighborhood Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Mulligan, but I think you're taking it more seriously than I am.
Taking the wrong things seriously is a chronic failing of mine.

Trying to keep my post short, I breezed past the part where I complimented your writing. I think itís a lot more than charming. I think itís terrific. If you can impress somebody who rejects your central literary device (Dotís personhood) as much as youíve impressed me, youíre really quite good. Good heart, good mind, good soul.

Sorry to hear of the black mood. Been there, done that. It gets to be a self-reinforcing cycle of bad thoughts messing up your brain chemistry and the messed up brain chemistry leading to more bad thoughts. The meds can be a critical part (but only a part) of breaking out that that cycle. I also recommend riding a motorcycle.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #2815
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,762
Quote:

And indeed from love must come karma and as karma could be seen as being of our creation then I'm with you Platypus; good vibes can power an engine. Though I was sniffing fumes from the petrol tank at the same time so maybe it was that.
Hi Nate! Hearing that you're going to refit the toothbrush and other makeshift fixes put a big smile on my face! Either way they are priceless mementos.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #2816
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Thumb Get going mate

Hi Nathan,
I'm still sort of following what you're up to. This thread is getting a bit deep and meaningful with Zen etc; still can't finish that book.
With all my good intentions of getting something nice and small to start my own adventure out of Japan I ended up getting lost and bought a well used F650GS. What can I say, the price was right and it was available at the time. The Spacey still has a part to play but just for local shopping. F650GS is just about ready to go now and a rough route has been planned.
My trip has been put on hold for awhile due to medical reasons so I'll keep following the adventures of the likes of you until I've mended.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #2817
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

I know, I couldn't finish Zen either. I thought it was too much of the same stuff over and over again. Felt like deja vu. Anyway, hope you get better soon RDT. I seem to know a lot of people currently on the mend from accidents in one way or another. I just wanted to apologise to Mulligan as well. Didn't mean to lambast you like that. Man hug. In fact, you had a good point, and made me wonder if 'Dorothy' was something I hide behind. Perhaps to an atheist she's my Jesus Christ.

As for her, I've got a cam chain coming, plus roller, plus tensioner. On the clutch side I was able to clean out all the crud from the clutch casing without having to remove the bolt. It was the mechanic who showed it me, almost half a centremeter of oil deposit. He said that was supposed to happen. So the only reason really to take the bolt off now is to change the clutch plates, and I don't think I'll bother, not with it being weld on tight and all.

Today I go and buy some steel to make the pannier racks with. Going to learn welding, so expect them to drop off.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #2818
Emile
+

Oddometer: 104
Hey Nathan,

love your report !! and the way you handle stuff :)
Here's another one that did not get trough the Zen :)
Good to hear Dot is getting better now.
As for the pannierracks I will send you some Jedi mind weldingskills you will do fine on them!!! no worries!!

have fun!!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #2819
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Really nice to hear that you are getting Dot back in order. I bet the rebuild will help get you back in order soon enough too.

see ya,

THE Don _______.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #2820
Mulligan
Neighborhood Adventurer

Quote:
Today I go and buy some steel to make the pannier racks with. Going to learn welding, so expect them to drop off.
Cool.

If you don't have to do it to make a living, welding is one of the most fun things you can do with your pants on. (And I definitely don't recommend welding without your pants on.)