Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #301
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefloncandy
First, let me say I am also a BIG fan of this RR. Amazing picture, riding and writing.

A cautionary word....

My issue is with the community of ADV riders at large and not with Nathan.

I remember a while ago a certain man taking a journey of self discovery across America named (Kaneman). I remember when he fell into some ill faited straights and the ADV Rider community wanted to help. A lot of the community did and were quiet satisfied in doing so.
Unfortunately this (Kaneman) was shredded by a faction of the ADV Rider community for taking $$$ and those who gave were also flamed for it.

I certainly hope (Nathan) doesn't suffer the same abuse and he keeps his dream alive and we get to read about his journey through to the end.

Not to mention those of you who choose to give by (postcard, shirts or etc.)

Rant off

we don't have to allow that again. Kaneman was unique when the crash occured. I think we have learned from that and can shut it down right away. Don't worry about it. Plus, these two rides:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...nal+friendship

were entirely ADVfunded and no problems at all (p.s. we have another guy lined up).
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #302
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder
When you get your card operating again, take a tip from a seasoned third-word traveller: get yourself a big wad of cash, yankee dollars, and a big wad of American Express travellers cheques. (If you dont already)

Where you are headed, you will not be able to rely on a single card, linked to the outside world by phone lines. Cash is king. Travellers cheques can always be changed for cash. Dead cards are worthless.

Great trip, keep up the RR!

+1 on the cash. Hide it in creative places (handlebar, headlight, helmet liner, etc.
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #303
scuzzy
...naked, cactus dancing

Oddometer: 169
Tees for Texas

I'm down for a T. Black please.

An excellent adventure. Goin' light must be right.
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #304
bgw2go
Wanna Be Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Go Dot Go

Wow, offer a guy a couple of bucks and look what happens. The way that I see it, if i can do anything to assist someone in need then I'm in. It's not my fault he wont take a cash donation and be done with it.

To clarify, Nathan never asked for money!!! In fact, he has declined previous offers of assistance. He only offered the shirt remedy because of our nagging insistence to help him.

Anyway, I agree with AngryScot, nothing to see here people, now lets move along.
bgw2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #305
PsychoSayWhat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Sign me up for a couple shirts too
PsychoSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #306
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
This is funny, people "nagging" about GIVING money, lol. Can't wait to contribute
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #307
captodport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
"Dot" shirt, I want one

I've given money to a lot less deserving things. At least, maybe, I'll get a T.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #308
Tefloncandy
Oximoran

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
we don't have to allow that again. Kaneman was unique when the crash occured. I think we have learned from that and can shut it down right away. Don't worry about it. Plus, these two rides:

were entirely ADVfunded and no problems at all (p.s. we have another guy lined up).

Thanks for those threads, It is pretty cool to see something like that taking place here at ADVrider.

Nathan, Sorry for the distraction. Looking forward to your next update!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 AM   #309
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Would you guys stop bickering...

Seriously, you guys sound like me and Dot going up a hill.

And on her I have good news, for I think her vibration is completely fine. Or at least normal.

Yesterday I stopped by a local bike shop and the owner came out. He said - in a Nepalese accent - 'that's a CT110, I have one of those'. I didn't know what to say, Dot's got a sister!

Yeah it turns out they used to sell them here and were very popular trail bikes in the eighties. He said you can't buy them anymore and getting parts is hard. I asked him about the vibration and he said no sweat, they all do that.

So it made me wonder. Is it me suddenly gone soft and no longer able to tolerate a bit of handlebar chatter, or is there something still seriously wrong? So I followed his directions to Mike's Breakfast to meet the owner of this restaurant - James, an American, who also has one.

He wasn't the most enthused chap about the coming together of these two magnificent motorcylces but we had a chat and he explained how his is an '84 and that it needs a new engine which he cannot find. He's been offfered a 150cc conversion but we agreed it was probably too much. Then he spent the rest of the time complaining about the suspension bottoming out and his innefficiences anywhere other than the city. I stood there, one eye on MY bike, the one that right now is proving everyone of his arguements so utterly wrong.

It baffled me that someone could speak bad of a bike they've owned for so long. That's probably been with him through so much and still starts every morning without fail; that still climbs the mountains he asks it too and still, without utterance, scoots him around the Kathmandu streets with his hippie hair and earing flapping. A bike has a soul; why could he not see that?

But anyway, his bike vibrated exactly the same so my mind was at ease as I nipped bike to the bike shop to buy oil and a tyre. I went for knobbly in the end. Me and Dot are going to tackle the world's highest road in India and thought some traction wouldn't go amiss. but the tyres that have been on, some cheapos from East Timor, have been sensational. On the back the original Michellins wheeled me 3000 kays before they were shot, this tyre, called a Grizzle or something, has already done 2000 kays MORE and has at least another 3 left in it. The grip's not bad either. The front, by the way, is the original from Oz and has now done 18,000 and still going strong.

So I buy the stuff, pay, chat a bit more about CT110s and how this trip came about and where I'm heading. I explained how for just one fleeting moment in Sydney my window of opportunity opened right up and that to jump on through I would have to put all other considerations totally to one side. He liked that gamble, so gave me a waterproof suit...

And in this new suit me and a couple of other guys are going to go on a stroll around the rim of Everest. Not up it. That would be too steep, but you can do a 14 day hike which hits a peak of 5000metres, or is that feet, I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm confident I'll drop dead half way. Because for the last four months only my right wrist has been operated. The rest of my body has gone soft and floppy. Even an old recurring injury from when I skied into a tree is playing up. Femur and pelvis, snapped like a twig. The people on the chair lift above thought it was hilarious. Bastards.

But never mind, because those t-shirt designs are nearly ready. There'll be a link to the manufacturers page where you can order them direct. Like I said, they're about a tenner with half that going to a charity no doubt employing the money to try and close down the same sweatshop that made them. Oh the irony.

(Plus the 'I love Dot' one)

Now about this money and donating business. There will be none. This journey, my adventure... is my test, my challenge. I'm looking into the face of something I'm not sure I can do and saying 'fuck it, let's try anyway.' And right now my budget will just take me to England on the last whiff of fumes and will the last crumb left in my belly. I will be smelly, I will be worn and weary. But I will have done it, on my terms and with what I have.

This is part of the challenge and having thought long and hard about it I have can only conclude that to accept assistance at this stage, at any stage, is to cheat on that challenge. If I can't ride Dot home on what I have then I have failed. Please understand that.

I have been blown away by the words and messages of support, they mean so much, and so I ask that we keep the donations to only that; your support and your friendship.... and that beer when me and Dot go ALL around the world when my bank balance is black.

That concludes the discussion on donation. Full stop.

Anyway, I've had an idea which you guys are going to need to start saving for if you're going to come along. I'll leave it at that for now.

PS. It's not the best video but I'd just picked Dot and was knackered. Better ones next time. Promise.

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 05-22-2009 at 01:05 AM
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #310
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
And on her I have good news, for I think her vibration is completely fine. Or at least normal.

They all do that! Ride safe, Nathan.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #311
Nico75
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 58
Donation

I think you should at least accept a donation...
of an ADV rider sticker for on Dot :)
Past: 1979 Suzuki GS550E - 1982 Honda CB500FII - 1987 Suzuki Intruder VS700 - 1995 Suzuki Intruder VS1400 - 2001 BMW F650 GS - 2005 BMW R1200GS
Nico75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:08 AM   #312
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,645
Hey Nathan,
as you have now realized the bizzare phenomenom of 'the number of kicks required to start a bike is in direct proportion to the number of people watching you'
This happens to me alot. there are 2 things that will help to alleviate this. one is to ask everyone to turn away for a second. this rarely works, as people always want to watch. the second, is to cuss the bike in the local language. The people standing around will all laugh, but it seems to work pretty well for me.

Also, definatly get some hard currency, US Dollars work everywhere. travellers checks arent worth the paper they are printed on, you will play hell cashing them. I'd suggest if possible, getting a 2nd atm card on a seperate account. That way if a card dies, you have a seperate one. I got mine thru AAA, the american auto club. Just gave them cash, & they loaded the card & handed it to me. You may want to check auto clubs & places like that there, or ask about opening a bank account to get a card.

Have fun,
Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #313
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
Nice threads, glad you got those, I'm suprised you didn't come down with some kind of illness after the rain video. Keep on riding, we will keep on reading. Can't wait for the next post!
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #314
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Nathan,
Some of us may take it for granted that you post this stuff but to be able to take videos, edit them, find/pay for a good connection then upload them on a regular basis is a humungous effort . Like the T shirts so I'm in for one - can you get larger photos posted for detail? Whats the link or name of the short Everest trek you're on? If Namche Bazaar then - 'you lucky bastard'! (loud)
Cheers

overlandr screwed with this post 05-22-2009 at 08:54 AM
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #315
b00t
errrr, yes uh-huh?

Oddometer: 321
taking RR on another level brotha, I am in for T-Shirt...link up. Keep it rolling up right you got the juice!