User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #811
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Bus-ted

Just arrived in Delhi after 10 hours squashed against a window in a sweaty coach. Dot I missed you, the wind in my hair, the freedom to stop and quench thirst or feed the dog, the solitutde, the isolation from the hustle and bustle that beat me black and blue on this damn coach trip.

Through every town more men would jump onboard with inedible fruits for sale and strange watery potions demonstrated between two urban pillars by a scoundrel who would jump off at the second having sold not one. The other passengers would throw litter out the window, scream at the driver, sit in the isle, look at me funny, laugh when I bought fruit juice, all sorts of weird shit which I'm thankfully blind to on my Dorothy. I've got to be honest, you don't always feel overly welcome.

But we made it, that's the main thing. I'm now printing out the Chinese application to take to the embassy tomorrow. They have a one day service I'll take advantage of and then see if it's worth getting any more paper jewellery for my passport while I'm down this way. Though I still haven't got my head around which Stan is which, who needs what documents and how there visa is delivered. I'm writing it all down but still it feels like someones's really twisting my melon, man.

Dot doesn't realise how cushy she has it up in the hills being pampered by Mama Gee and her guesthouse staff. That said, I do miss her.

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 06-30-2009 at 08:46 AM
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #812
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Keep on keepin' on Nate

And get in touch with Chanderjeet! He's another ADVrider legend. Good times will be had!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #813
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
Though I still haven't got my head around which Stan is which, who needs what documents and how there visa is delivered. I'm writing it all down but still it feels like someones's really twisting my melon, man.
Stantours should be able to sort out most of it if you give them everything they ask for. Basically, they secure the visa and you get a number from them. When you get to the embassy of whatever country you are going to next, you don't fill out all the forms; just go up to the desk and give them your reference number and they give you the visa. The only one I don't know how you get is whichever stan you go to first. I mean if you need a visa for Tajik or Kyrgyz, it's not like you can pick it up in Bejing- you need to get it in Delhi or Islamabad.

Good luck
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #814
Joeyb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Brilliant trip Nate, well done and keep it up. I am certianly no geography expert, but could you go to the Pakistan border, hop a ferry to Oman through Yemen and Ethiopia? Once you dodge the pirates os Somailia you would be back to some pretty nice people I would imagine. Since your not driving a cargo ship Somalia should be a breeze.

I wouldn't consider this cheating as you are heading the opposite direction of your destination. It would avoid a lot of crazy shit perpetrated by even crazier extremists. Just a thought, and kudos to google maps.

BTW, as an Aussie, I am well familliar with the Postie - they are ledgendary, Dot is certianly in fine company and of a grand bloodline. What is most important is the trip, not the vehicle, the attitude not the farkle. I ride a GS and would fall in behind Dot anytime.

When you decide to travel from London to Sydney, heading west, be sure to stop in Seattle. Cold beers, workshop, comfy bed, shower to freak out in/wash your clothes, whatever - it is your for as long as you need.

Good Luck, stay safe and keep the rubber side down.

If it's got two wheels its fine by me.
Joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #815
burnblue
SB Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 27
Just a quick side story before I pop over to Paypal to buy Dot a drink...

My stepdad got out of Vietnam in '71, bought a CB500 in Singapore, and rode it to Bakersfield the long way (with a cargo flight from Germany to NY in the middle, of course).

He got stuck in India for 5 months thanks to the chilly relations with Pakistan at the time... there was eventually a hunger strike at the border to allow people out, so my stepdad headed there. Long days sitting around by the side of the road and not eating.

One guy wandered off across a big open field, past the trees beyond. He came running back a few minutes later with armfuls of leafy vegetation... "look guys, there's tons of mary jane growing across that open field!" My stepdad and some other weary travellers followed him across the field, found the natural bounty and brought some back to the road. Spread it out on the cars and asphalt to dry.

Now, here comes an Indian military convoy rolling past... they hide the greens under the cars as best they could, but the last jeep rolls to a stop. The officer says, "you, where did you get that?"

"Uh, it's growing wild! Across that field!"

"That field right there?"

yep.

"You see that concrete post with the symbols on? You know what that is?"

nope.

"That, my fellows, is a minefield."

Sometimes you get lucky... here's to copious quantities of luck for yourself and Dot!

Cheers

http://www.burnblue.com/blog/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/burnblue/

'08 stealth Wee Strom
'00 SV650 naked (totalled)
'72 Honda CL350 (sold)

burnblue screwed with this post 07-01-2009 at 12:33 AM
burnblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #816
tracyprier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
...and Nate, don't forget to sort yourself some warm kit before you go... you'll need it going up the KKH.

And let me tell you... the KKH is STUNNING! with a capital STUN!

Did it YEARS ago squashed in the back of a minivan with a bunch of AK-totting Mujihadeen in the back. Less-than-fun ride but AWESOME scenery.

All the best and God Bless
Tracy
tracyprier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #817
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

T-shirts

Wow, it's all happening today.

Just heard from my finest friend in the world Paul today who tells me the t-shirts are again up and running with all you needing to do is go to the website, order, purchase, wait.

The only problem is you have to pay in GBP, the upshot of that is there's no additional postage costs to pay. They're 10 quid, or about $17 dollars I guess.

And just to confirm, all the money over and above what they cost the company to make are going to Comic Relief here in the UK. Which I think is about 5 quid per Tee.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:20 AM   #818
britman
Britman

Oddometer: 279
Nathan, your Paypal button doesn't work
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #819
vidd
how was your lamb?

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
But we're still rocking and rolling to the sound of the soul and hopeful that things will work themselves out one way or another
... I truly hope you work it out, many of us have effed it up brilliantly
vidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #820
ExHD
Le Frog

Oddometer: 46
Nathan, thanks.
ExHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #821
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

DOHHH!, okay, try again.

Seriously, I must really be getting too much sun if I can't figure this one out.

.... no, it STILL doesn't fucking work. Give me strength.... and a bit more time.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:43 AM   #822
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,851
Great reading Nate, chin up and you never know stranger things have happened.

Good luck with the visa.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #823
Rayburn451
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Paypal to the Dot fund

I sent a little money to the email address that you posted a few days ago. nathanmillward@hotmail.com

Nathan, all you need to do now is log on to your Paypal acount and accept the money.

I didn't try the Paypal bottons.

Good luck
Rayburn451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #824
littlebike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Paypal to the Dot fund

Same here Nathan. Used your email nathanmillward AT hotmail.com
Payment will be done once you log in to Paypal and accept it

Good luck !
littlebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 AM   #825
RockemRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
A little $ is on the way

Nathan -- I just sent you a little cash to nathanmillward at hotmail.com. Glad to help you on your way...
RockemRdr is offline   Reply With Quote