User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Question 990 Baja Light Bracket/High Fender Solution

I want to install a high fender on my 990 Baja but it looks like there will be interference with the stock auxiliary lights. Does anyone know if any of the Black Dog or CJ Designs products will solve this?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Chief Gunner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
The OEM light bracket will not work with the high fender. I ordered a Light bracket from Kurt at BDCW and used the OEM lights. The holes were a tad too small for the OEM posts so I used a drill bit to ream them out to fit the posts snugly (sorry I forget what size the bit was)

With the BDCW light bracket (mounts sandwiched to the lower triple tree on top of the fender) I get full travel left and right without hitting anything.

I like the look with the OEM lights because they are smaller than the other lights out there and I just did not see the sense of letting nerly $300 of lights going unused.

If they break off or don't get the job done then I can always replace them with some HID's later . I did the Euro headlight conversion as well when I took the fairing apart to route and re-wire the lights. My lights are Plenty Bright enough for me. Since I did the high fender mod I've put about 3K miles on the bike and the lights are holding tight and have not needed to be adjusted...maybe I need to Ride it harder! LOL

Chief Gunner screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 08:43 PM
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Chief, how did you route the wires? Same as stock? Any complications?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
Chief Gunner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
The OEM wires for the Aux lights are crimped in Barrel Splicers; I cut them close to the barrels & stripped them and then slid heat shrink over them. I crimped pins on all four of the ends and heat shrunk them and inserted the pins into the small two wire connectors that matched the pins (male end to the tails running to the lights)

I had to lengthen the run about 8" so I just used about 2 feet of red and black 18 gage wire that I insulated and chaff proofed by sliding the wires together (red and black) through some small diameter fuel line (lubed well with WD40). I then cut the 2 foot section in half, stripped the ends, slid heat shrink over the wires and crimped a pin on each wire (female pins on the end to the 2 pin connector I already made) and then male pins to the other end.

Same process at the top, Start from the bottom (fender) and work your way up. This will give you a clean tight OEM looking run and any excess loops can be zip tied up nice & neat and hidden out of sight in the fairing housing (just like the factory does LOL)

I made my own wiring diagram because I did not have a factory one, I just used my Multi Meter to find the hot wire and went from there. Just make sure you got the left and right side separated and which color wire the hot one (power) is and run that to the red wire for the light on that side. The Worst thing you can do if you fudge it is blow a fuse so take your time and have fun with it.

Oh and in case you did not notice yet; there are push button re-sets on the backs of the OEM Aux lights.
I picked up some small OEM style 2 pin connectors (qty 4) and Male and Female Pins ( 4 Male and 4 Female) at a local electrical supply shop for the job but you can order them from KTM online.

I never twist and tape anything electrical on my rides because I want it to last and be done right the fist time,

Remember; Heat Shrink, Pins with the correct connectors and Vacuum tubing are your Friends when doing aftermarket electrical install work! Electrical tape is for emergency fixes only (and amateurs)

Factory looks and anti chaffing, vibration and water resistance all get taken care of in one shot with reliable results

Chief Gunner screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 08:24 AM
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bump

Anyone else do the high fender mod on their 990 Baja successfully without reworking the wiring for the AUX lights drastically? Are washers above the fender necessary to create clearance for the radiator guard?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Duas Rodas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
My solution was to make an aluminum (11 gauge I think) bracket that fits betwenn the fender and the bottom triple clamp.

photo DSCN2244_zpsfb620566.jpg
Painting is not my forte

photo DSCN2245_zpsf389c2a9.jpg
The required spacers at the mounting holes on top of the fender

photo DSCN2246_zps3ac2237f.jpg
Bracket on top of spacers

photo DSCN2247_zps7064c5cf.jpg
and now the lights turn with the steering...no interferance issues

photo DSCN2250_zps9351be44.jpg
I'm happy with the outcome...
Duas Rodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duas Rodas View Post
My solution was to make an aluminum (11 gauge I think) bracket that fits betwenn the fender and the bottom triple clamp.
WOW. Have any more of those lying around? What spacers are those? Any wiring mods required?
Old Today, 06:15 PM   #8
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 440
I like this DIY version. Do the brake line interfere with the lights or vice versa? Just did my high fender install and discovered this problem. For now the lights are removed, but I want to put them back on soon.

Why were the spacers necessary?

ben