ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
950 SE suspension settings?

so I just had my rear shock rebuilt with new gaskets, fluids and nitrogen. I had time to get the shock reinstalled and then headed off for a hare scramble last sunday. I have no idea what the settings were on the shock but it was nice to actually have some dampening for a change. no more pogo stick rear of the bike. :) But it got me thinking I need to look into making the suspension work a bit better.

the previous owner had the front and rear revalved by SPS at some point, but not sure the settings or what was done for his weight or riding style.

so I'm trying to get a baseline for where to start with the bike. I"m just over 200lbs with gear, and like to ride the bike pretty aggressively, mostly off road on rougher trails. I don't jump the bike a lot but I would like to have a bit more bottoming resistance and I think my settings are off of that mark.

so any suggestions for sag front and rear on the SE to start with? or and recommended clicker adjustments front and rear? Just to get me in a decent range and then I can tinker from there. I'll contact SPS and see if they have the record of the suspension to give me an idea of what was done to the bike and see if it's close or if I need to budget another re-valve in the future. I would prefer to get a Rekluse instead. :) Eventually I'd like to replace the suspension with better parts but it'll be a while before I can drop that kind of coin on the beast. I can't see selling it any time soon. too much fun to ride....
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
hopefully you get some info on your set up from SPS and also hopefully the suspension gods will weigh in because they are out there. Mine was originally done by SPS and then revalved with Race Tech valving (Gold) by ZR1 here in AZ. It seems "ok", but its not where I'd like it and I'd prefer one of the two leading set-ups out there for these bikes but don't have the coin right now so bandaids on stock will have to work for now for me.

my SPS settings (MX-type/Hard off road set-up) on the forks are 16 comp, 16 rebound, 7 preload. Think the fork oil level is 120mm. The shock is 16 comp LS, 1 comp HS, 15 rebound, 8 preload (with a 800lb Race Tech spring) and 90mm SAG.

I was told by SPS and ZR1 the above MX settings are for 195-220lbs and I'm on the 220 side. I have bottomed it out on hard g-outs and after getting some good air but for the most part it holds up "ok". Hope this helps for a start. I'm curious to hear what the experts say as I'd like to tinker with it and see if I can dial it in better or just live with what I have.
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
so any suggestions for sag front and rear on the SE to start with?
I've had SPS do all my work on my big KTMs. I think I had them go a little too tight on my compression valving, but all-in-all it's very good. You have the right idea, it's amazing how much money you can spend on suspension but if you don't have the basics set properly it's all for nothing.

I set my race sag to 25-35% of total travel. The SE has 255mm total travel so starting with 65-70mm of race sag front and rear would be a good starting point. Some people like up to 85mm of race sag. I found 70mm to be right in the sweet spot. My valving is probably much different than yours, but here is what I'm running:
Forks: Rebound: 20 clicks ffh
Forks: Compression 24 clicks ffh

Rear Shock: Rebound: 18 ffh
Rear Shock: Comp 20/1 low/high ffh

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote