ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #196
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
that's great work man, sorry about the carb issues, I hope you get them solved.
I've had nothing but good experiences from KTMTwins
Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #197
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,430
So not much more to update the thread with. I've spoken to Ron at KTM Twins and he asked for the whole FCR kit back, filters and all. If they replace it I'll lose my new tapered intakes but at least I'll still have my TPS bracket. If they replace them I might try to swap them for 41's now that I know it's going on a 990 SMR with the giant intakes. This new engine could use all the air it can get. If they don't that's fine too as I'll run the carbs as 39's and then, if I decide I want more air, I'll bore them out to 40 and see what I think. That will be a fun operation; boring a set of $1200 carbs.

So, one thing I forgot in the last thread but I thought I'd include is just a simple tip about using digital calipers. You do have digital calipers don't you? They're so cheap now there's no reason to not have a set kicking around in your tool box and they're useful beyond belief. I actually sewed a pocket for them on my shop apron so they're always on me.

Anyway the tip! Finding the center to center distance of any holes can be a bit frustrating but here's an easy way. Measure one of the holes:

Next "zero" the caliper with that dimension:

Now measure the outside to outside of the holes and you'll have the center to center perfectly accurate. Just remember to rezero them!

Easy peezy. That's all, just a little tip I've found to be really helpful and fast.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Okay, now onto the regular progress.

So I wasn't happy about my flange welds and it bugged me. My welding set up is in NYC and when I'm in Portland I can't practice so I decided to sign up for a tig welding class in Portland. In fact, while researching welding classes, I discovered that Portland is a mecca of "making" and there's a class this fall on titanium bicycle construction. Two weeks and at the end you have a titanium frame. I'm so in. Anyway, I'm looking forward to some formal instruction when I get back home. Time to step it up.

In the mean time I decided to at least make some parts I'll need for the exhaust - namely spring anchors. It's a very tiny part but one you can't buy and have to make. The anchors are made from 3/32" stainless 308 welding wire and are just bent "U" shapes turned up at the ends. Simple right? Well, try bending one with pliers and it's not so simple and it's worse if you need 20 or so. Time to make a tool.

To the notebook and Chris shows me some examples of ones he's made:

A little bit of machining and welding and I've made a little tiny wire bending tool that makes a 1/4" 180 bend. Insert the wire into the drilled hole...

Pull the handle around...

Repeat...

Take all your little "U" bends over to Chris' side of the shop and put them on his press brake nicely aligned...

Bend...

And there you have it. Exhaust spring hangers ready to go.

Next installment will be in three weeks time and I hope it involves a new set of carbs and new welding skills.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #198
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Thumb

Oh to have access to some of the classes and a workshop that you have in the states !!!!!!

Great work and thanks for the detail shots, something to aspire too.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #199
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!

Oddometer: 643
Greatness!

Loving this thread, Gregor

Very inspiring...
Aprilia Tuono, Aprilia Futura, BMW S1000RR, BMW K1200R, BMW K1200S, BMW R1100S, BMW R1100RS, BMW R1100GS, Ducati Multistrada 1200s, Ducati MTS 1000, Ducati M900s, Honda CBR600RR, Honda RC51, Honda VFR, Husqvarna SM610, KTM 990 Super Duke, KTM 950 ADV, KTM 450 EXC, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Tenni, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Triumph Speed Triple 955, Yamaha WR250X
Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #200
Zally Ballz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
G$ on the case!

G$, looking good...

Couple hints on the stainless welding, thick to thin...

1. Use gravity to your advantage. For instance, if you have 1/4" that you are welding to 16 gauge or less, position the 1/4" part of the weld so that it is above the thinner material. Then, without even using filler, concentrate 90% of your arc on the 1/4" side of the weld, when it become liquid, it will simply slump with gravity to the thinner size and instantly fuse. This requires a lot of repositioning, but yields a nice welds.

2. Use a non-ferrous (copper/brass are best) tube on the inside of the thin wall tube. Machine the tube so that it fits with play inside the stainless thin wall tube. Clamp the copper/brass tube outboard on your table and then hang the thin wall off it. This allows you to rotate it with ease so repositioning gets easier. Also, the non-ferrous metal backs up the thin wall stainless making it less likely you will blow through, and since it is non-ferrous, you wont accidentally weld to it.

3. Master your filler-less weld. In allot of instances, it takes more heat to get the filler rod going than doing without. If you have a tight seam, and thickness on at least one side, my recommendation is always to attempt the weld without filler rod, by simply fusing the 2 sides by material transfer from the thicker to the thinner side of the weld.

I know, these comments are late... but for the next time you have to make that kind of weld (and let's face it, if you have done it once, your bound to do it again...)

Glad I could be of service on those flanges... beer money has been pissed away!

Cheers,

Isaac
Zally Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #201
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Pancakes!

Thanks for the tips man. I want to make you proud so I'm going to work hard to improve my chops. I'll get some hood time in PXD and hit it when I get back with more control. I'm going to rock this exhaust, I promise. I'm all in.

G$

PS Filipo!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #202
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!

Oddometer: 643
G$,
My tip for measuring the distance between the center of two equal size holes: measure the outside of one to the inside of the other. This gives you the exact center to center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Pancakes!

Thanks for the tips man. I want to make you proud so I'm going to work hard to improve my chops. I'll get some hood time in PXD and hit it when I get back with more control. I'm going to rock this exhaust, I promise. I'm all in.

G$

PS Filipo!
Aprilia Tuono, Aprilia Futura, BMW S1000RR, BMW K1200R, BMW K1200S, BMW R1100S, BMW R1100RS, BMW R1100GS, Ducati Multistrada 1200s, Ducati MTS 1000, Ducati M900s, Honda CBR600RR, Honda RC51, Honda VFR, Husqvarna SM610, KTM 990 Super Duke, KTM 950 ADV, KTM 450 EXC, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Tenni, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Triumph Speed Triple 955, Yamaha WR250X
Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #203
sakurama OP
on an endless build

So I'm back in Portland and I signed up for a welding class at the local community college. Since I'm not doing a "course" so to speak I'm not tied to a course structure which is really great. Basically I'm doing Tig practice once a week for 8 hours. This should help.

My instructor helps me get set up on a mammoth Lincoln and I do a few fuse welds which are simple and solid so then I start with adding filler rod and keeping track of my amps.

And I keep welding coupons...

Until finally, for one glorious inch and a half, I get it right. Not sure exactly what I did but I learned a few things. I think I'll ask over in the welding thread. Anyway, here's my success:

Of course it's way harder to do that on tube. I think I'll be ordering my own tube out here and my project for this class will be a collector. That should keep me busy.

In other good news I'm very happy that I ordered my carbs through KTM Twins as Ron is helping hustle my carbs through the red tape that is SUDCO and there's an off chance I'll get them by next week when I'm back. There's other stuff to do if that doesn't happen. I could start sanding the bodywork...

Anyway, trying to keep progress moving forward.

Gregor
Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #204
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,463
I like it....Bingo!

I too have considered a Tig Welding class, just about to buy my own kit so I can do my own bits and pieces.

The thing that's worrying me is welding the thin stuff, when you can weld a coke can you've cracked it apparently!

My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #205
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
I like it....Bingo!

I too have considered a Tig Welding class, just about to buy my own kit so I can do my own bits and pieces.

The thing that's worrying me is welding the thin stuff, when you can weld a coke can you've cracked it apparently!

Actually if you're using the new square wave inverters the Coke can isn't quite as hard as it used to be. I have a Dynasty 200DX which is about all you'd ever need for a motorcycle. 200 amps is way more power than anything on a bike requires and most of the time you're around 70-100 amps so you can even run it on 110v (it switches automatically) and that was a big part of the appeal.

Here's a video of the holy grail:

I say do it Pyn - it's one of the most amazing skills ever to be able to just join two pieces of metal. Since my class is open I'm going to switch up about halfway to work on my aluminum skills and I'll see if I can do the Coke can. After the exhaust is a monocoque aluminum subframe/gas tank. That is way over my skill level so it sounds just about perfect.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #206
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 205
Art

Great words and pictures of your processes Gregor - you are a true artist. Hope the bike comes together in time for June :)
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #207
adiablolex
Lost again

that's good news on the course, I've been messing around with a cheap chinese TIG/Plasma combo and I must say it's more difficult than it looks.
The funny part is that I can weld any thickness of steel at any position with stick or MIG but when it comes to TIG the only thing I've accomplished so far is joining with no filler.
Staying tuned for more pointers
Old 04-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #208
sakurama OP
on an endless build

No real progress to report. I am in NYC again and got some time to head to the shop and since I don't feel ready to start welding the exhaust I just put in some hood time to practice the things I've been learning.

That is my new torch head. It's a pyrex cup around a gas diffusion lens that is supposed to help with better gas coverage. The gas is argon, which is used for tig welding, and stainless is more susceptible to contamination so the lens helps to cover the weld area better. If the arc is exposed to air the weld becomes brittle and contaminated. When I start welding the exhaust for real I'll also have to fill the tubes with argon so the back is protected. I'm also using a thinner tungsten (the center electrode) so the actual arc is smaller and more focused. I whipped up the torch stand last night as I was getting sick of holding it in my lap and I don't want to break that pyrex cup.

Anyway, the top weld is my last one. I feel that if I wanted to I could do a passable job of welding the exhaust now but I'd like to practice more. At this point I have a lot of time and cash into it and my perfectionist nature would like me to be patient. My riding nature would like me to hurry the hell up. We battle frequently.

I have some time today and tomorrow depending on how my retouching goes and I'd like to get something done on the bike so we'll see what I come up with.

Gregor
Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #209
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post

Anyway, the top weld is my last one.
Those two on the bottom look better than the ones on some parts I've ordered before. I'd say you're ready to go.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #210
adiablolex
Lost again

good looking welds man, well done
I say on with the exhaust too