Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #436
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,201
Sakurama: "Mikael's build is epic and perhaps even more noble than mine since it involves more beer and less limits"
And No. Thank you but there is very good people involved in my project. You have actually inspired me to use some of my CU(civilian education points = i have almost earned 2 years of paid education with my Srg. salary) on welding and understanding electricals. Point is that you are making art with a detail that i cant explain.

I cant help with measuring because both LC8 are sold incl carbs.

mousitsas: "Apply the idea of 'air does not like hard edges' to the X you are using Gregor..."
But the original exhaust also have sharp 90 degrees corner. Im thinking of the crossover. But again I do NOT know anything about exhaust.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #437
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinderman
... Then all of the amazing and bad ass leaders of this "orange crush disease" chiming in and supporting this blood letting journey that Gregor is on. Thank you, thank you to Flanny, Katoom 119, K2M, Mortimersickle, Pyndon and especially Sakurma!!!
Edit

Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #438
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
mousitsas: "Apply the idea of 'air does not like hard edges' to the X you are using Gregor..."
But the original exhaust also have sharp 90 degrees corner. Im thinking of the crossover. But again I do NOT know anything about exhaust.
The H crossover on the original exhaust only serves to exchange pressure conditions between the two pipes, not flow. Flow through the crossover is minimal. Also, the main pipe still maintains a direction. In Gregor's X there is no flow direction. Gas from the downpipe 'sees' 3 options to flow through. One of these options is straight ahead, but there is a total wall discontinuity.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #439
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Interesting reading on the Flowmaster website:

Quote:
Is an "X" pipe better than an "H" pipe? *

Not necessarily. Flowmaster has performed extensive dyno testing of traditional H pipes and various X pipe designs and has found that in most typical street applications, there are no clear benefits of one over the other. X pipes have become a buzz word in the world of performance exhaust, and are now produced in a wide variety of styles and designs. Some types perform well, and some others can be quite bad due to the excessive turbulence generated in the merge area.*Unlike anything else available, Flowmasters Scavenger X-Pipe design features patented D-port technology to maximize the communication surface area between the two banks of cylinders, and maintain the exhaust pulse velocity for peak scavenging.
Full read here: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?page=56

So since you've mastered the TIG welding, might be worth trying an H pipe, worse case welding back your X.
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #440
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

hehe. As much as i would like to be one of the guys with endless knowledge about 950s, im not. I stand corrected.

Sakurama do stuff and do it WILD
Old 08-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #441
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Chris again asked me about swapping the cams on the bike. I can't tell you how unappealing that idea is to me but if we get through a bunch of testing it might be something I end up doing. Yuck.

Gregor
I went back and found the post I was referring to - and Im sorry to say its not that helpful.
The issue was with 990 ADV cams - but you've got a 990 SD/SDR motor if I remember correctly?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653042

Sorry to have sold you a red Nordic fish (red herring) :-/
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #442
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,419
...back in the saddle again....

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #443
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Well, I'm not sure I'm back in the saddle quite yet - I'm still 4hp away from my old bike but I feel like I've got some momentum. So Yesterday Chris spent some time with my FCR and on his computer and sent me this:

It's quite cool to see a part begin to take shape. After I finished my shoot I hopped on my bike and pedaled over to the shop to watch some chips fly. Chris turned the bellmouths on his CNC lathe but was using Peter's CNC mill to do the backside and the spacers. Here he's checking the spacer fit.

If they don't make any horsepower we'll make bras out of them.

The parts turned and milled so far.

I need to get cracking on the rest of the bike. There's a slim chance I might be able to get it together to ride to Philly but I think it's getting slimmer all the time.

Tomorrow will be a busy day.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #444
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
...the small LED blinkers I got need a new relay. It seems like 50% of the time those things work on the old relay but just blink too fast - this time they don't. Anyone found a simple LED flasher relay that works? It's a two wire one right?,,,
Gave up on that and installed a time relay instead. It keeps tick-tick all time the ignition is ON but not a big deal since motor is louder, quite a bit. Was suspicious about how reliable it would be but now its got 2 years and 30 000 kms and still tick-tick-tick.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #445
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:

Gregor
Dude - you are an animal. I love that you have the resources to do things the right way, and right away. Those bellmouths are gorgeous.

Shout out to www.cosentinoengineering.com Chris is a fucking genius.

Flanny screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 05:18 AM
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 AM   #446
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Fantastic effort and results!

This portends well for you also being the first to figure out how to make these carbs start the bike consistently in cold temps without wearing down the battery.

'Something that seems to have evaded everyone else's attempts up to this point...

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #447
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Well, I'm not sure I'm back in the saddle quite yet - I'm still 4hp away from my old bike but I feel like I've got some momentum. So Yesterday Chris spent some time with my FCR and on his computer and sent me this:

It's quite cool to see a part begin to take shape. After I finished my shoot I hopped on my bike and pedaled over to the shop to watch some chips fly. Chris turned the bellmouths on his CNC lathe but was using Peter's CNC mill to do the backside and the spacers. Here he's checking the spacer fit.

If they don't make any horsepower we'll make bras out of them.

I need to get cracking on the rest of the bike. There's a slim chance I might be able to get it together to ride to Philly but I think it's getting slimmer all the time.

Gregor
Shit, that is just ...

Would you guys happen to need a french canadian as new friend?

Keep it coming

:Lurk
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #448
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 453
If I put a new wheel on my grinder I could do that
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #449
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Do you think Chris would notice if you accidentally trailered his CNC mill when you load up to move? I'll fly out to help you load it.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #450
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Sean, if you can run his mill I'll try to steal it! I often think about how I'd like to be able to run a CNC and maybe someday I'll get one but right now I'm just learning Sketchup. Baby steps.

So yesterday we finished our shoot early so I pedaled on out to the shop where I found Chris at the CNC mill.

Here they are with spacers.

And fitting to the carb - fit is perfect...

I bought two filter options; a K&N and a CPR Fab one and neither works. The CPR can't really work because the carbs are at an angle so you'd have to fabricate a different base plate or create a jig to position the bellmouths and then mill a land around them on the level - too complicated. The K&N was just too big.

With the spacers in place the bellmouths get even closer but Chris found another option from the thousands of K&N's that should work so I ordered that and then returned the other options.

Of course Chris made some okay parts but I was busy on my side of the shop too. I made spacers to replace the luggage rack on the back. Sadly Chris can probably make a bellmouth about as fast as I turn spacers...

Anyway, my side of the shop is more mundane. I'm still finding a lot of dirty parts and I gave up on the LED blinkers so I dragged out my stock set and gave them a good bath.

If you don't have a set of digital calipers go online and buy some now - they're about the most useful tool you could have in your shop. To get the blinkers straight on the new tail light I used the calipers to scribe lines.

I've never had a problem with the stock blinkers and they're not bad looking so I'm just going to keep them. I do like the new smaller tail light.

As my parts pile gets smaller I find things to fix and when I started mounting the tank my haste with the front header pointed to a problem - that hot header is mighty close to the fuel crossover.

I'll spare you the 5 hours of cutting, fitting and welding but around 3am last night I got to here.

It doesn't seem like much but it now meanders a safer path. What I should have done earlier. Another little pain in the ass was that one damn spoke on the front wheel didn't seal so I had to pull the front wheel and tire and reseal that single spoke. Here's where I left it at 3am.

So today is my friends wedding in Philly. It's a short ride but the last time this bike ran it was leaving another friends wedding and my engine imploded. I am a bit doubtful about trying to make the maiden run to another wedding so I'll aim for taking her out on Sunday for a spin and then Monday for some dyno time before I jump a plane back home.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote