Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #496
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Since I'm out of things to work on at the moment we'll have to go for a ride next Sunday. Looking forward to seeing you and getting our bikes in really sorted. Thanks for the FCR tuning guide. We're on the verge of something here, I feel it.

Gregor
Yeah - a big ride on Sunday would be awesome!

B.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #497
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Great to see you get a ride in on the bike! I have a bunch of needles for the FCRs if you want more variables to fumble with on dyno day. When do you fly to NYC? I could pull my 41's off for you to take, as well...
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #498
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,383
I've been reading FCR tuning stuff and it seems the most important thing is to get the main right as it has an effect on the rest of the jets - which is counter intuitive and not like other carbs. So I think we're going to just concentrate on the mains and the other differences like mid pipe. I would love to try 41's as my bike has so much in the middle but flattens on top that I think it would benefit from them but boring them is a one way street. Anyway, I'm already back east so maybe another time.

If anyone near NYC has a set of 41's and would like to rent them for a day let me know. I wonder if I could buy them and then return them? Hmm, don't want to try that.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #499
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Fed ex could still help us with those 41's
Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #500
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Fed ex could still help us with those 41's
Thanks Justin. Shipping cost would kill us at this point. I think we'll limit what's on our plate right now but I'll take you up on it the next time I'm coming back and then I can do a proper 39 to 41 comparison. I feel boring is the right way to go but empirical data would be nice.

Gregor
Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #501
sakurama OP
on an endless build

First off thanks to Kamanya for some jetting tips from his FCR/990 setup. Hopefully by tomorrow night we'll have this bike jetted in and working. I shared that info with Flanny and he had some questions so we'll reach out to you tonight.

On that front I just heard from Flanny and he's an hour away from the shop. We're going to meet up tonight at Gino's restaurant Tre on Ludlow tonight for dinner around 7-8 so if anyone who's followed this is in the area and would like to join us tonight for dinner you're more than welcome.

Tomorrow should be a busy day so we need to fill up with good Italian food and red wine.

Gregor
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #502
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,160
Good luck and have great time dialing the beast in.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #503
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
I didn't like the aviation stuff even though I thought I would. It was really difficult to work with and set up too fast and then it didn't make a great seal. I fixed it and didn't give it any thought for the last couple years as the wheels held but this time round I wanted to see if there was something different.

Cyborgs method was good because it eliminates a lot of weight which is a great thing to do on wheels. My original method tried to allow for trueing the wheel while maintaining the sealing but in the end how often do you adjust spokes? For me the answer was never so why not just seal the area that needs it and do it with as little material as possible?

As I mentioned if I were to do it again I'd skip the Seal All and just use the Goop - I don't see the benefit of the Seal-All since it bubbled so much whereas the Goop was strong, flexible and clear. The wheels are holding just fine too.
Don't know if you ever revisited this PRC thing, but there are several different kinds of PRC, most are made by PPG Aerospace. As you discovered, PRC can be wicked stuff to work with, but the results are amazing. I've mostly used mixes that start setting up in less than 15 minutes to those that take 30-40 minutes.

Clean-up is a bitch too, though tolulene (yikes) works quite well while the PRC is still "wet". Once it's dry, you're screwed. There are few products designed to dissolve the dry PRC. Pretty harsh stuff.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #504
sakurama OP
on an endless build

All right, we're on the dyno. Bikes are stripped and we've started our pulls. I'll attempt to keep this "live updated" if I can (just to make your Monday interesting).

Our first bike today was Gino's good running 990R which bested out after four pulls at 101rwhp. My seat of the pants guess was only 3hp off and I was being generous.

This is good news as it means besting the injected 990R is within sight. It also means that my guess on the stock 990 is probably pretty close at 93-96. Next up is a baseline of Flanny's bike with the FCR's and the stock K&N filters. We already know mine is putting down 88rwhp with my exhaust and the 990 engine.

Back to sniffing fumes...

Gregor
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #505
sakurama OP
on an endless build

First run with Flanny's bike:

FCRs with his foam filters - 90rwhp

Same with just changing out for the K&N's but no jetting change - 93rwhp

Bike was pretty good with the foam filters but slightly rich at 12.2-12.5 and the restriction of the K&N probably helped to lean it up for the gain.

G
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #506
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
This is pretty cool what you guys are doing!!! Keep it coming

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #507
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Are ya gonna post the wavy lines when there are enough on the graph to compare? I am stoked you are able to take the time and iron out the intake nonsense with these FCRs and their damn down draftedness...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #508
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Yeah, we'll parse all the relevant graphs and shit when we've had time to at the end. Right now I'm just giving play by play.

We swapped out the stock K&N bellmouth and filter for our velocity stack and larger filter and right away the mid range felt very "alive" and lost that "fat" feeling. We didn't change jetting just swapped for our stack. Result was 94-95rwhp but we gained torque also - about 2-3ft/lbs. The big difference was in the middle where the gain was larger and then tapered out so the "feeling" of it being alive was backed up on the dyno. The stacks work.

Next we're adding the spacers to extend the intake length which we suspect will help.

Gregor
Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #509
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Yeah, we'll parse all the relevant graphs and shit when we've had time to at the end. Right now I'm just giving play by play.

We swapped out the stock K&N bellmouth and filter for our velocity stack and larger filter and right away the mid range felt very "alive" and lost that "fat" feeling. We didn't change jetting just swapped for our stack. Result was 94-95rwhp but we gained torque also - about 2-3ft/lbs. The big difference was in the middle where the gain was larger and then tapered out so the "feeling" of it being alive was backed up on the dyno. The stacks work.

Next we're adding the spacers to extend the intake length which we suspect will help.

Gregor
No worries on the graphs! Gotta do all the experiments before they are relavent...
Congrats on the stacks showing not just promise, but gains! Clearly, enough math had been done to know there was something to the theory, but there's nothing like seeing *and feeling* the change they have brought to the game! Can I admit to F5'ing?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #510
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Okay, just added two spacers to Flanny's bike. Gained another 1.5 but again more in the middle but it was also leaner so we're going to richen it up and rerun. Each change is making small forward progress. Just compared our first run to now and we're up almost 8rwhp. And huge torque in the middle.

Progress!

Also discovered a crack in Flanny's rear header pipe but we're reading the front so we'll change that later.

G