Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #736
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
The mold for Keihn mid-body orings are a CNC program away, for a tooled up tech like Chris. I imagine if there are any real glitches that involve the gasket, he'll just zip out a mold cavity and cap, to squeese down some silicone.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #737
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Stupid question on the choke issue. In this context, would it be possible to create an external choke on this kind of carb by putting either a horizontal slider on top of the trumpets or a butterfly on top of the trumpets? Just curious.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #738
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
maybe I missed it but are there any comparisons to the OEM 950 carbs anywhere?
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #739
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,847
Nice solution tinwelp

I was thinking of doing something similar but using an electric primer from an outboard engine
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #740
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
maybe I missed it but are there any comparisons to the OEM 950 carbs anywhere?

Plenty of dyno runs on stock carbs in the OC. Figger 89hp+/- with stock carbs and cans.

The key to the FCR is its responsive behavior, due in large part to the acc pumps and direct connection of throttle cable to the slide, not its dyno results. For example, with the FCRs, there is no delay between twisting the grip and the bike wheeling. The delay is clearly evident with the stock CVM vaccum slides.

It is effortless to keep the front light while bumping through baby heads or sand pits, with the FCRs, just by blipping the throttle whenever you want to lighten it up. The same baby heads or sand pits with stock carbs, are a calculation of when to hit the gas and how long the carbs take to respond or having to plow through on a smooth and steady throttle.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #741
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
>>thought I owed a bit of an update on my progress with the external choke set-up. The
>>news is mixed. All is installed and functioning reasonably well with adjustable fuel and air
>>jets. Here's a general view of the installation:

Wow, a lot going on there! Looks like an industrial pneumatic installation. My choke is nearing completion (yes, its been that way for a while) and we'll be running it with Gregor this Thursday. Its a nice tidy solution but tearing the carbs apart and getting them back together is a pain in the ass.

>>maybe I missed it but are there any comparisons to the OEM 950 carbs anywhere?

The OEM 950 carbs are CV style that have a choke circuit as standard. The CV is a compeltely different style carb and not too performance oriented.

>>Stupid question on the choke issue. In this context, would it be possible to create an external choke
>>on this kind of carb by putting either a horizontal slider on top of the trumpets or a butterfly on top
>>of the trumpets? Just curious.

For a choke you need a new air and fuel circuit and some way to mix the two and some way to isolate it from the other fueling circuits at larger throttle openings. However this is accomplished is irrevelant, I am doing it in-carb because all the features are already there but just not machined.

Also as a side note, if anybody has the chance to buy an ex-sakurama bike go for it. They are so nicely accessorized.
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #742
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,383
Well, yesterday I was supposed to be packing up my shop for the move across country. Instead I finished my work at the studio and Chris was headed to the anodizer so he picked me up. Was interested to see the anodizing process but all we really got was a quick peak. Sort of medieval looking.

Chris got the new TPS brackets and the choke parts anodized orange as well.

Then milled a 12mm wrench flat on the part to assist in screwing it in.

And installed them. Sort of.

Yesterday was one of those days where it seems things don't go right. I decided to edit some video (a first) and, well, it sort of tells the story. Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't...

Gregor

sakurama screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 01:16 PM
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #743
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 296
just wondering, because a lot of people use a rc8 stack on a efi bike for some extra power.
and the picture with the fcr's + the velocity stacks look a lot longer than the throttle bodies + rc8 stacks.
how long is now the intake lenght?.

just compair if it is longer or as long as the throttle bodies + the standard stacks
Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #744
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,266
What was the temperature in the video at when you were trying to start?

Mine fairly burst into life at the touch of a button in summer and needs just a little prompting in winter. Certainly not that amount of cranking that you guys were doing!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #745
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,484
You guys have it all opened up and are playing with the fuses, pop that headlight fuse out and save a little battery life while cranking.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #746
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Wasn't terribly cold (50*F?) but we didn't use any accelerator pump at all so the only gas was from the choke. If your bike starts with no AP priming cold I'm amazed. Once my bike is warm it will start with no throttle. I don't know how much it might affect it but my TPS sensor went bad so we left it off.

Sadly I'm waist deep in boxes packing my shop so I just can't put time into it but Chris is going to work on it. My bike is headed over to his side of the shop either today or tomorrow. Man do I hate moving...

Gregor

PS good call about the headlight. Wanted to pull it but I was impatient having spent all day swapping the carbs.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #747
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
Somewhere
in a thread
lost in a sea of posts
there lies one by k2m
saying that he solved the starting issue
by injecting fuel with a syringe
via permanently installed tubes
in the carbs, somewhere
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #748
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 84
Bummer...

Gregor / Chris,
that was a little anticlimactic... I feel for you after all that work. A few questions that may provoke some thought:
  1. have you played around with different starter jets yet? There's a big range available, and you may just be way too lean yet...
  2. if you open-up the throttle slowly after cranking on choke (trying not to invoke the wrath of the accelerator pump), and peer into the ports with a torch, do you have the desired murky mist hiding down there? If you have, by experience, you're very close to getting the thing to start, and may even be too rich. Try holding the throttle open just by a gnat's chuff. If this results in success, try a smaller starter jet.
Waiting with bated breath to hear of your success. You are so very close...

Good luck guys.

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #749
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
>>that was a little anticlimactic

Yes, we were just a little bummed out.

>>f you open-up the throttle slowly after cranking on choke....

Didn't do that but will check next time I try.

>>You guys have it all opened up and are playing with the fuses, pop that headlight fuse out and save a little battery life while cranking.

Yes, we were a bit tunnel visioned at that point.

The initial tyest was with an 85 starter jet, the same size as in the FCR-MX on my ktm 450. We also tried with no jet installed and definitely was getting fuel through the choke passage. Gregor how's that eye? Still burning? I'll try a 65 when I get a chance.

Chris
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #750
sakurama OP
on an endless build

It is bittersweet to leave Spannerland behind. I'll still have my friends but it's the end of an era. Here's my shop Friday morning:

And here it is Sunday afternoon:

Wow, was that a lot of work. If anyone is interested in some Kennedy tool boxes, a Craftsman roller box or a whole boat load of John Sterling Fast-Mount shelving drop me a PM. A lot of this stuff I don't want to transport so I'm going to try to sell it in NYC first.

Gregor