Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #976
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
>>I'd rather a hard to find rivet link for the front wheel drive chain rather than a custom rear sprocket.

If I heard back from DID I'd just buy a bunch of the rivet links and be done with it but nothing yet.

There are a few alloy rear sprockets for the 950 for a 520 chain size and drivesystems.com says AFAM are a couple of months away from production of a steel one. I prefer the steel rear for durability reasons, especially with the narrow 520 chain.

>>Hey Chris, am I allowed to say "step drill" in this thread? or is that heresy?

Since you did it supporting my approach I'll overlook it this time.....
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #977
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Talon 520 labeled for Honda Xr600, lc4, exc. Direct fit with the lc8. And so is every other Xr600 sprocket, they have the same patern and 10mm holes.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #978
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Talon 520 labeled for Honda Xr600, lc4, exc. Direct fit with the lc8. And so is every other Xr600 sprocket, they have the same patern and 10mm holes.
That's really good info.

Forgive me for not keeping up on my bike but do you need to machine the actual rear sprocket or just the carrier? The carrier seems like a better solution if the idea is to move the assembly inboard and it's just aluminum. Okay back to my other life...

G
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #979
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
The carrier needs to be machined regardless of what chain is used. For these first couple of sprockets I guess we'll have to use the Talon aluminum ones StevenD mentioned. Once AFAM starts on their steel 520s we can switch to those for durability. I've been trading voicemails with Sporting Wood about his 520 experience, which in the brief messages exchanged so far, seem to work fine.

I also spoke with DID about what is the best chain for the application. After getting through the 'well we recommend not going under manufacturers' recommendations' firewall I got a tech guy that said the 520ERV3 is their best narrow 520 chain. It is rated for 750cc sportbikes so using on a 950 twin is not a stretch (he he). Its used on GP bikes and by the current Dakar race teams. It is rivet only, as most high strength chains are, and seems to be commonly available. Coincidentally, I also received an email from DID Japan saying that they can ship 420V rivet links in about 4 weeks. I will purchase a handful to have but think going with the 520 rear chain is the good move anyway. This way we'll be able to use the clip or rivet link on the smaller chains. If the clip is used on the 420V chain it has to be done with the clip side facing the engine cases. If not, it will machine a groove through the lower frame rail.

Some progress but still dying to get this beast rolling.
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #980
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosentinoEngineering View Post
So are we but with the amount of thought going into this project it'll probably be 99% perfect from the word go. I'm already saving to add this to my bike.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #981
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,221
Good lord... and I thought I had issues with leaving things stock...

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #982
Unhingedlizard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I started reading the thread this morning, the missus asked what I was reading. told her.

She came home after shopping, hairdresser, catching u with friends. "whatca reading hon"

"Same thing"

Now I have finished and I want more!
Unhingedlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #983
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 835
Start again :)
Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #984
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,635
It's about time Chris chimed I'm with the "final" update!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #985
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete640 View Post
it's about time chris chimed i'm with the "final" update!!!
Final?

5/5/2009:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
i cleaned it but it was just beat. I thought about how i've always wanted to...

The onset of Mission Creep is often recognized by the famous and damning phrase, "While it's apart..."

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #986
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Final?

5/5/2009:
'09. Jesus. We're approaching 5 years! And Gregor, it's awesome!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #987
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosentinoEngineering View Post
The carrier needs to be machined regardless of what chain is used. For these first couple of sprockets I guess we'll have to use the Talon aluminum ones StevenD mentioned. Once AFAM starts on their steel 520s we can switch to those for durability. I've been trading voicemails with Sporting Wood about his 520 experience, which in the brief messages exchanged so far, seem to work fine.

I also spoke with DID about what is the best chain for the application. After getting through the 'well we recommend not going under manufacturers' recommendations' firewall I got a tech guy that said the 520ERV3 is their best narrow 520 chain. It is rated for 750cc sportbikes so using on a 950 twin is not a stretch (he he). Its used on GP bikes and by the current Dakar race teams. It is rivet only, as most high strength chains are, and seems to be commonly available. Coincidentally, I also received an email from DID Japan saying that they can ship 420V rivet links in about 4 weeks. I will purchase a handful to have but think going with the 520 rear chain is the good move anyway. This way we'll be able to use the clip or rivet link on the smaller chains. If the clip is used on the 420V chain it has to be done with the clip side facing the engine cases. If not, it will machine a groove through the lower frame rail.

Hey Chris, I have a couple of the modified supersprox rears you could use to test fit too. Nice thing about them is that the center is aluminum and machines easy but the teeth are hardened steel. I don't know how well aluminum teeth will hold out with the big bikes weight and torque!

Awesome thread, buying another bucket of popcorn.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #988
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
'09. Jesus. We're approaching 5 years! And Gregor, it's awesome!
Hey, let's be fair - five years ago was the "first" rebuild. I rode it for two years and then blew the engine and started the next one. So my ratio of building to riding is... um, really sad.

Yeah, this is dragging on a bit. I had a second kid and he's already riding a bicycle. By pretty much any measure this is taking a while. In many ways I've sort of forgotten that I ever rode this bike and it's become more like a performance art piece where I assemble and disassemble the bike ad infinitum.

Actually Tommy was out at Chris's shop yesterday and he took a couple of photos of my bike. Sad that I have to rely on friends to get my progress reports...

But, wow, nice work on the chain housing there Chris. Sure would be nice to see some more photos...

The good news is that it's going to be winter again soon and that's the perfect time to test the FCR chokes. Chris should also have his FCR/CPR foam filter mount by then so we can test that on the dyno as well.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #989
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,117
When you're finally done...

When you're finally done, maybe your should consider giving the bike a really good cleaning... just to freshen it up a bit.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #990
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
When you're finally done, maybe your should consider giving the bike a really good cleaning... just to freshen it up a bit.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote